ABC News:Another Lobbyist Headed Into Obama Administration

ljs

Why did Republicans change their vote  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Why did Republicans change their vote

• They came to their senses
    • They are hypocrites
    • They are playing politics

You should know by now that I'm fond of dramatic language.

I think there's a big something in what you posted.

Obama spent his first week on a bunch of big symbolism. Pay cut for White House staff. Nice symbolic gesture. Closing Gitmo. Well-intentioned/Stupid symbolic gesture. Even the rush to the stimulus and stimulus itself is symbolic as well as action. The speech to the Middle East was another symbolic moment. No lobbiests was a symbolic gesture that was stupid because he broke it almost before the ink dried. He's spending a lot of time in these first seven days setting the mood. That's not necessarily a bad thing, this is, afterall, the overture to a three act symphony.

Unfortunately the mood from this particular initiative is "i'm gonna tell you one thing and do another". Should we just assume his administration is going to be "transparent". Or should we assume his administration is going to be transparent...except when he doesn't think it should be.

edit: If you want me to understand please use sports analogies!

Unfortunately the mood from this particular initiative is "i'm gonna tell you one thing and do another". Should we just assume his administration is going to be "transparent". Or should we assume his administration is going to be transparent...except when he doesn't think it should be.

edit: If you want me to understand please use sports analogies!

I've always believed the government should be transparent except for when it shouldn't be. I also have always believed that there are things I don't need to know (admittedly these aren't great examples of that) But every so often it's good for Obama to not let the other team steal the signals the catcher's giving the pitcher.

• 1 month later...

UPDATE:

Obama White House Discloses Two More Lobbyist Waivers Granted

Frye's waiver, signed by Norm Eisen, the special counsel to the President and designate agency ethics official, states that it's "in the public interest to grant the waiver because Ms. Fry's expertise in the areas in which she acted as a registered lobbyist is essential to her service to the Office of the First Lady." Frye, director of policy and projects in the Office of the First Lady, has "a particular focus on women, families and on engagement with the greater D.C. community," the White House says. Having directed the National Partnership’s Workplace Fairness Program in her previous job, she focused on "employment and gender discrimination issues, with a particular emphasis on employment barriers facing women of color and low-income women."

Muñoz's waiver was granted also in the public interest "because Ms. Munoz's knowledge and expertise are vital to the functioning of the Office of Intergovernmental Affairs," Eisen wrote. As director of intergovernmental affairs in the Executive Office of the President, Muñoz is chief liaison to the Latino community, in addition to coordinating with state and local governments. signed by Norm Eisen, the special counsel to the President and designate agency ethics official, states that it's "in the public interest to grant the waiver because Ms. Fry's expertise in the areas in which she acted as a registered lobbyist is essential to her service to the Office of the First Lady."

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2009/03/obama-white-hou.html

Its good to break the rules sometimes.......isn't it?

The last three posts remind me of one of those little ceramic figures of the 3 can-can girls where they're all linking arms and doing the little kick-step. :D

BTW, IHOP, kudos on bumping the old thread and adding to it rather than stating a new one. :applause:

It aslo avoids getting NNT'd, not that such normally stops the more "energetic politicos" amongst us :cool:

But again, well done.

<edit--this isn't what I pictured, but it's the closed I found quickly> :)

casncabn.jpg

:rotflmao:

As an Obama supporter this obviously pisses me off and I can't defend it at this point. I'm doing my best to give him some time in office but I can't say this or the bailout has made me exactly thrilled the past few days - although the bailout was expected so kind of hard to be too angry about that.

Oh well - hopefully I don't look TOO stupid in 4 years.

Admitting your mistake is the first step. There is hope for you yet.

Now for the OP.

I honestly have no problem with the President hiring former lobbyists because those are the people who (at least should) know the most about the issues they are dealing with. The part that is idiotic is to say "I won't hire lobbyists in my administration" and then turn around and do exactly what you said you wouldn't do. (Yes, he thinks you are too stupid to pay attention to what he actually does.)

It is earlier in his term but somewhat reminds me of Bush #1 and his stupid "No New Taxes" pledge that turned into new taxes.

Well, to be fair. Obama seems to be hiring competente, experienced crooks. Bush often hired crooks who were inexperienced and failed men/women who didn't even have the resume often to warrant the job.

So, while not a big change, it is a slight change.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Pathetic...:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

Archived