Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

JLC: Finalists for Tight End Coach Vacancy

HigSkin

I'm perplexed as to why we don't go after a TE coach with NFL experience coaching the position. Is there nobody out there? Neither candidate seems overly qualified to me. :2cents:

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/2009/01/finalists_for_tight_end_coach.html

The Redskins are down to two candidates for the vacant tight end position according to a source with knowledge of the situation, with a decision expected early next week.

Bill Khayat, who served as Washington's offensive quality control coach the past two seasons, is being given strong consideration, but head coach Jim Zorn also interviewed Scott Wachenheim, the assistant head coach at Liberty University, for the position last week, according to the source. The position became open when former Joe Gibbs assistant Rennie Simmons retired (Simmons contract was up as well, according to sources).

Khayat, 35, helped work with the offensive line here and spent three years with Arizona prior to coming to Washington. Khayat was a tight end at Duke and an honorable mention All-America pick there in 1994. Khayat's uncle Bob (kicker 1960, 1962-63) and his father Eddie (defensive tackle 1957, 1962-63) both spent time with the Redskins during their playing days.

Wachenheim has no NFL coaching experience but spent two years under Zorn at Utah State (1992-1993) as an assistant when Zorn was the offensive coordinator there. Wachenheim is a former offensive lineman at Air Forvce and longtime offensive line coach, who has had stints at Rice, Arkansas and Colorado. Wachenheim has served as Liberty's offensive coordinator since arriving at the school in 2006.

I'm perplexed as to why we don't go after a TE coach with NFL experience coaching the position. Is there nobody out there? Neither candidate seems overly qualified to me. :2cents:

As someone has said before, coaching isn't rocket science. The fundamentals of coaching a position doesn't change when you change levels. So, I think having pro experience isn't really a requirement. In fact, a college coach needs to be good as a teacher, since he's always needing to get new players up-to-speed.

Reading Wachenheim's bio on the Liberty website, his credentials are impressive, even if it is at somewhat smaller programs. It looks like he's risen in the ranks wherever he was. The only downside is that he's been mostly an O-Line coach for most of his career. That being said, that means that he at least knows how to teach players how to block, which is one thing you would wonder about a college TE coach.

I just read this story and it's pretty sweet cause I go to LU. I'd love for an LU coach to come to the Skins, but he's our O coordinator and calls the plays so I'm not sure I'd like it if he leaves.

As a Skins fan, though, I think the other posters are right. There has got to be more experience out there. I'd like Zorn to be comfortable so selecting his own staff is important, but... we'll see.

Also, I think it's good that Wachenheim was an O-Line coach most of his career. That will help both Cooley and Davis. Davis has trouble blocking and Cooley has been doing it a lot more (due to our shaky O-Line). Him helping the TEs block is just as important.

As with any job, you have to get experience somewhere.

Gut feeling says to go with the Liberty guy. A quality control coach at 35 says no HC has decided to give this guy a chance. Sometimes that could be a bad thing or the guy just happens to be 35 and just not lucky enough to get a chance.

A good teacher is a good teacher regardless of the level you are coaching at. I just wonder how much WCO knowledge the assistant coach has.

As with any job, you have to get experience somewhere.

Gut feeling says to go with the Liberty guy. A quality control coach at 35 says no HC has decided to give this guy a chance. Sometimes that could be a bad thing or the guy just happens to be 35 and just not lucky enough to get a chance.

A good teacher is a good teacher regardless of the level you are coaching at. I just wonder how much WCO knowledge the assistant coach has.

Agree. Might not be a bad idea to let him be mentored by Buges for a year or more and then serve as his replacement, if he proves up to the task. We're going to need one of those anyway before too long...

If all things are otherwise equal between these two candidates, I'd hire from within. Wachenheim is an outsider not privy to the position's strengths/weaknesses.

I remember when Buges went to Arizona for his daughter's funeral, Rennie took over o-line coaching duties for the week, while Khayat coached the TEs. So it's not a position he is totally unfamiliar with.

Also, I think it's good that Wachenheim was an O-Line coach most of his career. That will help both Cooley and Davis. Davis has trouble blocking and Cooley has been doing it a lot more (due to our shaky O-Line). Him helping the TEs block is just as important.

Davis has trouble blocking?

Thats a surprise to me. Blocking is about all he was allowed to do last year and I thought he did a really good job at it - in my opinion, better than Cooley.

RB Rashad Jennings is also from, Liberty.....maby that coach can give us some inside information about. If we would trade down and get more picks and adjust the lines, I wouldn't mind to draft him. He has got some talent.

I remember last year our new D-Line coach was supposed to give us some insight on C. Campbell, and got a few people excited thinking we'd end up drafting him. I just don't think we should expect too much from it.

What I'd be looking at is college coaches who have experience working with our staff. I'd think that we can get inside info on the players at those schools - ala Horton.

I tried to find out what type of offense they ran back in '92 with no luck but this is one thing that concerns me. Zorn didn't get himself a lot of help with some of the O-coordinators he hired last year. For example, teaching them the WCO. It would be nice to start filling/replacing with knowledgeable WCO assistants.

:2cents:

Being the Zorn hater that I am, my first reaction is that he'll do what he's already done when given the opportunity, he'll hire his friends.

My only other reaction is that all things being even it's generally a good idea to hire from within and give those that work for your organization the idea that hard work leads to promotion.

Regardless, I doubt I'll see any tangible differences anyways, so I'm not sure it's worth getting worked up about.

I tried to find out what type of offense they ran back in '92 with no luck but this is one thing that concerns me. Zorn didn't get himself a lot of help with some of the O-coordinators he hired last year. For example, teaching them the WCO. It would be nice to start filling/replacing with knowledgeable WCO assistants.

:2cents:

Back in 92' the Skins under HC Richie Pettibon switched to the WCO under OC Rod Dowhower(sp?)

• 2 weeks later...

This is a VERY important job. We run a WCO offense. TEs are important and I believe we have TWO STAR TEs on our squad. I believe Fred Davis might be one of the best in the league. It is very important that we have the right coach to mentor both of them.

From the Redskins blog, where he got interviewed. Here he's talking about the triple option offense in college, which he wrote something about.

"Again, it was a good learning experience for me. We didn't run any of that offense here at Liberty. We were traditional pro style, West Coast passing attack, pro style run game here, so you won't see any of that from me, but the ideas and learning from it will be ingrained in my mind forever.

Another experienced WCO coach for us, even if it was on the college level.

From the Redskins blog, where he got interviewed. Here he's talking about the triple option offense in college, which he wrote something about.

Another experienced WCO coach for us, even if it was on the college level.

Yeah, I'm glad we have somebody else who understands the WCO and who has worked with Zorn. I really wonder how much of the problems in the later half of the season stemmed from the coaching staff themselves having not learned or understood the intricies of the WCO and thus being unable to teach what Zorn wanted them to concentrate on.

I wonder if this guy has any experience in calling plays....

Archived