Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How bad are Malcolm Kelly's Knees?

Thinking Skins

Can fully understand tempered expectations since he missed most of his rookie season with a nagging injury.

He appears to be healed up now, though. He won't require offseason surgery, and is already practicing at Redskins Park in preparation for the upcoming season.

The talent is there and evidently the work ethic is, too. We'll have to see about the knee, but I'm optimistic.

C'mon, do you guys just talk out your ass?

Redskins head coach Jim Zorn said on Thursday that wide receiver Malcolm Kelly had to undergo an arthroscopic knee procedure following the 2008 regular season. He is expected to return in time for a portion of organized team activities.

http://gridironfans.com/forums/latest-nfl-headlines/89119-redskins-wr-malcolm-kelly-recovering-knee-surgery.html

This is from 2/20

C'mon, do you guys just talk out your ass?

Redskins head coach Jim Zorn said on Thursday that wide receiver Malcolm Kelly had to undergo an arthroscopic knee procedure following the 2008 regular season. He is expected to return in time for a portion of organized team activities.

http://gridironfans.com/forums/latest-nfl-headlines/89119-redskins-wr-malcolm-kelly-recovering-knee-surgery.html

This is from 2/20

I thought I had read that Kelly was back practicing at Redskins Park. I misspoke. Thanks for clarifying.

This was also mentioned in the URL you cited...

"...Kelly underwent an arthroscopic knee procedure — which was less extensive than the team believed would be required..."

it is troubling that the Redskins went high enough at #2 to select a player that had potentially chronic injury problems.

a 22 year old wide receiver that has already had 3-4 knee operations is not exactly the kind of invesment I was hoping the team was going to make in a draft meant to help rebuild a core on offense.

it is troubling that the Redskins went high enough at #2 to select a player that had potentially chronic injury problems.

a 22 year old wide receiver that has already had 3-4 knee operations is not exactly the kind of invesment I was hoping the team was going to make in a draft meant to help rebuild a core on offense.

Let's pray that the Redskins FO knows something we don't. :(

Guest Barricade

Agreed. One big hit and this guy's career could be over before it even started :doh:...at least we still have ARE/Thrash...sigh.

Ha ha.

Not encouraging that he had to have another procedure done on his knee after the season. Was hoping the nagging injuries were finally behind him. Can only hope the knee rebounds and he gives the team some solid production in 09'.

Turbo, who are you hoping for at #13 on draft day?

Not much hope of Raji falling to us. But if he did I'd probably grab him. Andre Smith will be gone, but Eugene Monroe might be there. Oher or Jason Smith would also make me happy. I pray Vinny doesn't draft another kicker, and I wonder how long we will even be able to field a team while ignoring our lines. I like the flash of a Crabtree just as much as anyone else, but we must get some guys in the program working their way up to shore up both our lines. Also depends on how things work out with JT, we may need a DE too. We need to see if Devin or Kelly mature before we look for another WR. If the coaches are shakey on those guys, we should look at a FA WR or trade there. No safeties, no QBs, and I hope we get our CB situation straightened out with existing guys. And no more TE's.

Not much hope of Raji falling to us. But if he did I'd probably grab him. Andre Smith will be gone, but Eugene Monroe might be there. Oher or Jason Smith would also make me happy. I pray Vinny doesn't draft another kicker, and I wonder how long we will even be able to field a team while ignoring our lines. I like the flash of a Crabtree just as much as anyone else, but we must get some guys in the program working their way up to shore up both our lines. Also depends on how things work out with JT, we may need a DE too. We need to see if Devin or Kelly mature before we look for another WR. If the coaches are shakey on those guys, we should look at a FA WR or trade there. No safeties, no QBs, and I hope we get our CB situation straightened out with existing guys. And no more TE's.

I would definitely grab Raji, but I think he will be gone, too. I'm interested in Peria Jerry, but only if Raji and the big 4 are off the board and a trade down doesn't materialize. Ideally we trade down and land an Alex Mack or Duke Robinson.

Agreed, no S, TE, QB, or K.

I would definitely grab Raji, but I think he will be gone, too. I'm interested in Peria Jerry, but only if Raji and the big 4 are off the board and a trade down doesn't materialize. Ideally we trade down and land an Alex Mack or Duke Robinson.

Agreed, no S, TE, QB, or K.

I like Jerry too. As short of picks as we are, a trade down might be the best thing to do.

If those quotes are from JLC I don't put much stock in him or anything the Post prints.
This is a quote from Vinny. Not sure if you believe it's a lie or not, but faking a quote can get a writer fired and cause serious credibility issues for a paper.

"Donnie, DeSean, Eddie, they all had to come in and start." he said. "We weren't looking for anybody to come in and start, number one. And number two, I'll guarantee you none of them missed the whole training camp. Both our guys missed the whole training camp. They didn't play in any preseason games."

WTF??? We not only didn't want to draft a guy capable of starting, we bypassed guys who could start? On purpose? And we drafted guys who couldn't participate in camp on purpose too? Or do we just take pride in that? Vinny, you are an idiot.

I'm just repeating what was reported in the Post. :whoknows:

That's the thing. I'm now like a kid doing a report, but the data's not adding up. Part of me asks, who's a more reliable source? An agent who wants to promote their client? or a newspaper who hates the redskins? A doctor who says Kelly is okay? or a lot of teams who removed Kelly from their draft boards?

I'm not in a position to say either way how healthy he is, and I'm not going to scorn the Redskins for taking a chance (pick #51 is approximately 390 draft points accoding to the draft points scale) on a guy with his upside (he was considered as somebody who could be picked at #11 before his stock dropped). Others may, and thats their right.

We can agree that Kelly had knee trouble this year. Whether its because of degenerative knees or just bad luck, I don't know. I'm not here trying to argue in favor or against our drafting Kelly. I was really trying to see some actual facts about his knees.

One thing that I don't know if its been mentioned. Kelly appareantly tore his ACL in high school. Even though he recovered from that and put up some really good numbers in college, I wonder if this could have been the source of his "degenerative knee condition". If I understand this condition correctly, it means that the knees are wearing down over time, and so after 5 or so years, he may be just starting to show the effects of this. This is completely from my imagination though, and I'm still doubtful as to how these same knees could have not bothered him all through college except for an injury in Jan 2007, which he returned from and had a good year in 2008.

Just throwin out opinions.

That's the thing. I'm now like a kid doing a report, but the data's not adding up.
I think the data is not adding up because you are under the mistaken assumption that Vinny can add. My god, even 14 year old little brothers knew about Kelly's knees before the draft. There were predraft threads about it right here on this board. Our docs knew too, I'm sure. All the rumors turned out to be spot on. Vinny ignored the signs, and pulled the trigger out of sheer idiocy.

I think the data is not adding up because you are under the mistaken assumption that Vinny can add. My god, even 14 year old little brothers knew about Kelly's knees before the draft. There were predraft threads about it right here on this board. Our docs knew too, I'm sure. All the rumors turned out to be spot on. Vinny ignored the signs, and pulled the trigger out of sheer idiocy.

but whats more valid - an internet rumor or a doctor's note. You're saying that the internet rumor is turning out to be true, but nobody has prove that he has degenerative knee conditions. He did have the knee injuries last year, but does that equal degenerative knees? Not in my book, but maybe in yours.

Like I said, I'm not convinced either way. I'm just a mediator. I've just got questions. I'm not trusting either side. So I'm gonna question the sources.

That's the thing. I'm now like a kid doing a report, but the data's not adding up. Part of me asks, who's a more reliable source? An agent who wants to promote their client? or a newspaper who hates the redskins? A doctor who says Kelly is okay? or a lot of teams who removed Kelly from their draft boards?

Just ask yourself why did teams remove Kelly from thier draft boards?

I think you know that answer.

And to be honest, I think your grasping for a reason to believe that Kelly is fine and that someone is just spreading internet rumors.

Heck, I don't blame you.

The alternative is to believe that we knowingly drafted someone who (because of his knees) might not be in the league in 4 years. :(

PS: It wasn't just the Post that mentioned Kelly's knees. The Times as well....

Just ask yourself why did teams remove Kelly from thier draft boards?

But how many teams? We aren't the only team that was still considering him cause I've posted a quote from the Bills front office where they said they were still considering him. TEAMS means more than 1. So if there were at least two teams that believed this, we're supposed to act like the Redskins are the only team that didn't believe the rumors?

And to be honest, I think your grasping for a reason to believe that Kelly is fine and that someone is just spreading internet rumors.

Its not just me looking for a reason to believe one way or the other. I'm honestly just trying to pass time between the seasons. The truth in this matter will ultimately come to light. I am praying that he can be our Jimmy Smith, but if he doesn't so what. We've drafted many first round busts before. If Kelly is a bust, then at least he's a second round bust instead of a first round bust (:cough: :cough: Shuler, Westbrook, Gardner, Ramsey, :cough: :cough:).

But how many teams? We aren't the only team that was still considering him cause I've posted a quote from the Bills front office where they said they were still considering him. TEAMS means more than 1. So if there were at least two teams that believed this, we're supposed to act like the Redskins are the only team that didn't believe the rumors?

The Skins medical staff informed the FO of Kelly's condition. It seems as if Vinny and Mr. Snyder were dazzled by Kelly's workout and decided to take a chance.

but whats more valid - an internet rumor or a doctor's note. You're saying that the internet rumor is turning out to be true, but nobody has prove that he has degenerative knee conditions. He did have the knee injuries last year, but does that equal degenerative knees? Not in my book, but maybe in yours.

Like I said, I'm not convinced either way. I'm just a mediator. I've just got questions. I'm not trusting either side. So I'm gonna question the sources.

You seem to be making a big deal about "degenerative". It don't matter when the cartilage is cut out of your knee. A degenerative (arthritis) condition will shorten a career faster because the cartilage degrades faster, but a scope doesn't restore cartilage. Removing the jagged and floating pieces reduces pain and swelling. It does not restore the joint to a good as new condition. The knee will never be as good or as stable as an uncut, undamaged knee. Ever. The surgery only allows range of motion without pain and reduced swelling.

Read this http://www.healthscout.com/ency/1/577/main.html

We MADE a big MISTAKE drafting him. In my opinion it was a wasted pick.

Had the front office been knowledgeable about local talent ... they would have kept an eye on drafting Darrius when he announced his intentions of entering the NFL draft.

Irrespective we should try and find a way to get Darrius in a Skins' uniform. He would be awesome.

Guess what? IT WASN'T A RUMOR. You are just not "thinking", or you would see that. He missed Camp and 11 games. Jesus Christ man, open your eyes.

Archived