Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Clinton was simply following his idol.

Kilmer17

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,86625,00.html

NEW YORK — President John F. Kennedy (search) had an affair with a 19-year-old intern who traveled with him on official trips, according to a new biography of Kennedy.

"She had no skills. She could answer the phone," Robert Dallek, author of An Unfinished Life, told Dateline NBC in an interview that aired Sunday. "Apparently, her only skill was to provide sexual release for JFK on those trips and maybe in the White House."

Dallek learned of the affair from a White House aide, Barbara Gamarekian (search), whose oral history was recently unsealed.

Gamarekian told the New York Daily News (search) that she remembers only the young intern's first name, which she refused to reveal.

"It amazes me there continues to be such fascination with all things Kennedy," Gamarekian, 77, told the newspaper.

Kennedy is known to have had numerous extramarital liaisons, but this is the first report of an affair with an intern.

"There were lots of women," Dallek, whose book comes out Tuesday, told the newspaper. "The real question is: Did it distract him from his job as president? I think it really didn't."

Gamarekian had asked that the 17 pages in her oral history dealing with the intern be kept secret for a decade, then later asked the Kennedy Library in Boston, where her account is archived, to keep it sealed.

Dallek discovered the blacked-out pages while researching his book and persuaded her to disclose the information.

I can't work myself up to defend Clinton, whose reckless womanizing finally caught up with him.

But to me, the most interesting aspect of both the Clinton/Lewinsky scandal and the Watergate scandal was the determined, relentless destruction of two presidencies over two relatively minor offenses.

Please don't whine about Clinton's perjury and Nixon's obstruction of justice -- both took place in mid-meltdown. I've always wanted to know precisely who wanted to take down these presidents, and why.

It's beyond partisan politics. Both have the smell of foreign interference, based on wiretaps and spying, motivated by U.S. policy opposition. In this light, Deep Throat was a (leaky) mole, and Lucianne Goldberg just a tool.

give me a *uckin break as we wade through the relativizng here: sexual harassment laws didn't exist when Kennedy was President. Major league difference, wouldn't you say? Clinton did something in a Federal building (the White House) with someone who worked for him (an intern) that you or I would have been taken to the cleaners on. how unfortunate for Clinton that this wasn't taken to the cleaners!!!

Originally posted by fansince62

give me a *uckin break as we wade through the relativizng here: sexual harassment laws didn't exist when Kennedy was President. Major league difference, wouldn't you say? Clinton did something in a Federal building (the White House) with someone who worked for him (an intern) that you or I would have been taken to the cleaners on. how unfortunate for Clinton that this wasn't taken to the cleaners!!!

fan, you're missing the point. In my view, almost all presidents are criminals in one way or another, some major, some minor.

In no way am I defending or apologizing for Clinton's behavior, or Nixon's. I just see them as targets who were taken out by political opponents with the wiretap technology to nail them. Your average U.S. political opponent of a president doesn't have access to wiretap technology.

The FBI and NSA do, and foreign governments do. There's a short list of governments with the technology and the will to use that technology for blackmail.

Clinton's X-rated calls with Lewinsky were wiretapped by two foreign governments, as well as by U.S. intelligence. Nixon's White House was similarly targeted, and had some obvious and less-than-obvious foreign opposition in 1972 and 1973.

The art of presidential assassination has been refined to the point that we aren't even aware of it. We're the world's favorite suckers.

Clinton didn't try to hide his admiration of JFK. Neither was a good man as far as I'm concerned. And both are overrated Presidents. Two things JFK had over Bubba, he wasn't as stupid as he is, and unlike Bubba, he wasn't a pu$$y

"But to me, the most interesting aspect of both the Clinton/Lewinsky scandal and the Watergate scandal was the determined, relentless destruction of two presidencies over two relatively minor offenses. "

This really is true. From Whitewater to Travelgate to the murder of his best friend to bhudda-bubbagate, to any of the other sixteen things that they attacked him with. Clinton was hunted and persecuted for every inuendo the congress could get their hands on from the day he entered office. I mean you got to wonder when the page one Banner headline of the liberal Washington Post is "Why the Clinton Administration is Failing" the day after the inauguration. I think it's really sad that the one that they finally undid him was a social crime. One that didn't impact his presidency and was unlikely to impact his decision making. From Washington, to Eisenhower, to Kennedy to Clinton the White House has known affairs. And for the most part, they've all been lied about.

Originally posted by Kilmer17

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,86625,00.html

NEW YORK — President John F. Kennedy (search) had an affair with a 19-year-old intern who traveled with him on official trips, according to a new biography of Kennedy.

"She had no skills. She could answer the phone," Robert Dallek, author of An Unfinished Life, told Dateline NBC in an interview that aired Sunday. "Apparently, her only skill was to provide sexual release for JFK on those trips and maybe in the White House."

Dallek learned of the affair from a White House aide, Barbara Gamarekian (search), whose oral history was recently unsealed.

Gamarekian told the New York Daily News (search) that she remembers only the young intern's first name, which she refused to reveal.

"It amazes me there continues to be such fascination with all things Kennedy," Gamarekian, 77, told the newspaper.

Kennedy is known to have had numerous extramarital liaisons, but this is the first report of an affair with an intern.

"There were lots of women," Dallek, whose book comes out Tuesday, told the newspaper. "The real question is: Did it distract him from his job as president? I think it really didn't."

Gamarekian had asked that the 17 pages in her oral history dealing with the intern be kept secret for a decade, then later asked the Kennedy Library in Boston, where her account is archived, to keep it sealed.

Dallek discovered the blacked-out pages while researching his book and persuaded her to disclose the information.

When I saw the header 'Clinton was simply following his...' I wasn't sure what to expect.:silly:

Think JFK and Clinton both followed their ...well...you know, a bit more than might have been advisable :doh:

ASF...I wasn't directing fire at you!.....just noting that drawing historical comparisons is dangerous business....and in this case particularly so because kennedy's activities predated the women's movement (as we know it) and sexual harassment laws.

...archives have been kept forever whether written, oral, tape, and now digital - wiretaps didn't just create this opportunity (and, btw, such equipment can be bought) ........."All President's are criminals" seems a bit of a stretch to me. you will note the subtlety that generally the attacks are constructed to undercut public confidence in leaders based on some commonly held standard of acceptable behavior (be it political or personal)...not some legal accusation ........sometimes the accusations are entirely baseless but still achieve the intended effect......what I'm driving at is that the relationship isn't necessarily "screw up, have the screw-up recorded by some method, and then use the recording for an attack".........there doesn't have to be a screw-up...there doesn't even have to be a recording!!!!

Just as every cop is a criminal, and all the sinner's saints.......it must be awful not being able to trust anyone you don't have personal ctc with..........

burgold...and that's precisely the problem with libs...they apply their own inner "standard" for what is relatively minor while believing that anyone who holds a different pov is somehow niaive, undereducated in the moral arts, or otherwise cynically motivated........so for the 40% or so of America that was flabbergatested by a 50+ yr old married President engaging in "sexual relations" with a 20+ year old intern in a Federal workspace (who might have been their daughter).......this is just prudery, or worse, gross ignorance when there are so many more "important" matters (by their lights, of course)........and the best part? it's the liberal catch-all: we shouldn't even be talking about it because it's private behaviour. so.....40%+ here's the big index finger courtesy of the left....we'll interpret everything that wasn't in the founding father's original mindset as a private matter.......very convenient.........but kinda open-ended.......

Archived