Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

-FILL IN THE BLANK- is the answer!

pokerhog

Jordan Gross will solve all of our offensive line woes...he is a beast!

Our D-line will generate nothing but pressure and sacks, making us a defense to be feared (ala Baltimore)...if we can just sign Albert Haynesworth!

Darren Sproles is the perfect compliment to Clinton Portis! If we can just get him, we'll have the best "Thunder & Lightning" tandem in the league.

All of theses statements have something in common that spreads across this board like the flu in November! They all pin the hopes and dreams of the poster on one magical, dream player. One person writes something that promotes his love of Houshmanzadeh, and before you know it, everyone believes that Housh is "THE ANSWER".

WHY??? Why is Darren Sproles the answer? I can understand that Sproles has speed and quickness and instincts and would be a great addition! Heck, I would love to have him, but does nobody understand that THE QUESTION has more subtlety than that?

If the Redskins spend the amount of money it would require to obtain Haynesworth, they would be neglecting the rest of the entire team! Havn't we learned this lesson yet? When you put such a large percentage of your salary cap into the hands of one player, you are doomed! What happens if Haynesworth gets hurt? Or gets suspended after drop kicking a referee? Or gets very satisfied with his enormous payday and doesn't play as hard as he use to? Then we have the exact same team we have right now, that's what. Happy with that?

In my opinion, the best offseason approach is one that targets our teams needs, and then addresses them in a pragmatic, sensible way. What does this mean? Well, if you are in love with the shiftiness that Sproles brings, maybe you take a chance on J.J. Arrington from Arizona. If you need to get better on the offensive line, you take a look at Andrews from Miami, if he can be had at a reasonable price. If not, don't pay him anyway... What is the problem with our offensive line anyway? THEY ARE OLD!! If you want to get younger on the Offensive line do you...

A.) Sign almost 30 year old Jordan Gross... Pay him a bazillion dollars and hope he doesn't begin the inevitable slowdown/ injury laden part of his O-Linemen career when he is 31, or...............

B.) Draft a couple of O-linemen who fit your system, and coach them the way you want them?

Both are a gamble, the young guys might not pan out, but with the draft, there isn't the worry that you won't recover financially!

Learn from what's out there! Who are some of the successful franchises? What did they do that makes them so good? We all love the Raven's defense...who are their big free agant signings? I mean, really? Ed Reed? Ray Lewis? Terrell Suggs? Chris McAllister? Haloti Ngata? Anyone? They DRAFTED well... sure, every once in awhile they will take a chance on someone, but they are a success because of their core group of talent! What about the Patriots? If there has been anything close to a modern day NFL dynasty, it's them! Why are they successful? Tom Brady? Matt Cassell? That entire offensive line! A steady stream of very solid running backs. And before anyone says anything about Randy Moss and Wes Welker being free agents, they havn't won anything with them, and DID without them!

Anyway, I guess my point is that the draft is VITAL to a team's success. Not free agency! Don't hang all of your hopes on one perfect player, in the long run, that player almost never turns out to be perfect, but he almost always ends up costing a ton! Need I mention Stubblefield?

11. Please do not use the “Quote” feature to quote huge blocks of text or pictures.

If you would like to respond to the contents of a particular post, simply quote the sentence or idea that you're commenting upon, not necessarily the entire post. It wastes space on the database and unnecessarily extends and clutters threads.

To be honest I would rather see a Sproles then a Betts come in there is more of threat

I think Haynesworth would make our Dline that much bettwe with him in Monty in the middle

Oline and LB we should just draft the best available

Successful teams use a nice balance of drafting and free agency and don't lean one way or the other too heavily.

Our problem hasn't been free agency, our problem has been trading away picks for unproven players and making a fool of ourselves on draft day by trading up to get players that haven't been worth it.

FA should be about LB's and LB's only. We do not have the picks to think about LB's during the draft and you can get medium to cheap LB's who can make an immediate impact. IE. Fletcher!

:applause::applause::applause:

I agree, however, I feel there are good, relatively inexpensive options at OL and DT, that we REALLY need.

lets trade some draft picks and get some players that are in the 30s.. whos down.. wootwoot.. haha... jk. but i agree with u. we have better secondary than giants and carolina. our rbs backs are just as good as theirs if not better.. what is it they have that we dont. a qb, a o, and a dline... their o-line d-line and qbs all come from the draft.. do what shanahan and parcells in miami did. drafter d-linemans and 0lines first, and draft the latter needs later...running back are easier to train than a big beast..

:applause::applause::applause:

I agree, however, I feel there are good, relatively inexpensive options at OL and DT, that we REALLY need.

I have not done my research on FA's yet so I have not come up with an opinion. But unless we are cutting Randy Thomas, Rahbach and Jansen (I do not think the Cap hit allows it), FA OL are not needed. They will bench players with no potential or upside. I want the draft to focus on the lines, because we do not start rookies anyway. This will at least give young depth and depth that has potential, is cheap, and will get PT when our o-line crumples again.

What is the problem with our offensive line anyway? THEY ARE OLD!! If you want to get younger on the Offensive line do you...

A.) Sign almost 30 year old Jordan Gross... Pay him a bazillion dollars and hope he doesn't begin the inevitable slowdown/ injury laden part of his O-Linemen career when he is 31, or...............

B.) Draft a couple of O-linemen who fit your system, and coach them the way you want them?

Both are a gamble, the young guys might not pan out, but with the draft, there isn't the worry that you won't recover financially!

No brainer. B. However, I disagree with your assessment of the relative risk.

OL are not a gamble past the third round. They are a guarantee to never play a down in a Redskin uniforms. (See NFL Draft History - no OL drafted past the third round by the Redskins in the last 10 years has ever advanced past the practice squad.)

OL drafted in the first two rounds are not a gamble. All of the first and second round OL draft picks are currently listed on their depth charts as first team. They might not start in game 1 or even game 7, but they will before the season is over. And then they'll start for 4 to 10 seasons later.

As compared to the aforemntioned Mr. Gross. He will cost you 5 times as much in salary cap as a second round OL and won't be able to play 3 more seasons. Plus, with the money he'd get for signing with the Skins, why would he? His retirement house in the Key is waiting for him.

But we're dealing with Vinny here. He likes the BPA approach and OL are never the BPA.

haynesworth would improve or D with his ability to create a push up the middle.

- I think we should go after haynesworth and crowder from Miami then resign hall. Then draft Oline and a speedy back in the later rounds. I would love cj spiller, he is felix jones part 2 but he will be a 2nd maybe 3rd rounder

You bring up some great points about FA signings and just hoping for that perfect compliment or young prospect that can take us far. I do agree with you on your cautious optimism approach to the FA period.

However, as we all know our lines are need of a serious make over. I'm not one of the Redskins fans that believes if we sign this guy or draft this guy or even trade for this guy that we'll be the best team in the division. I remember 2000. I just think it'll be a solid foundation towards building a future. Smart investment is how this team gets better. :helmet:

Haynesworth would give us someone to build around on the D-Line. Jordan Gross gives us an upgrade at RT, allowing Bugel to move Jansen inside since it would cost too much to cut him. He could replace Jason Fabini as a backup G/T for a year until one of the young guys either develops or is replaced by a draft pick.

Adding those two guys would allow Danny and Vinny more flexibilty in the draft, whether they decide to trade down or address another area of need like C, LB, CB (depends on Hall/Springs/Rogers) or DE.

EXPLOSIVE PLAYS are the answer.

The Redskins longest run last year was 31 yards. Moss had the only two plays over 50 yards receiving last year, oh yeah, and the only special teams touchdown. ZERO Defensive touchdowns. Bottom of the league in creating turnovers and sacks.

Sacks, Turnovers, long runs, long passes, game changing plays. I don't care how they happen, let's just make them happen.

I can understand what you are saying about Gross; however, I think he can be had for about 7 mil/year. If I am wrong, then we shouldn't pursue him.

Haynesworth on the other hand is where I disagree. It isn't very often that the best defensive player in the NFL at his position is up in FA. The best should get paid the most. The thing about Haynesworth is he is only 27, by next year. He deserves about 10mil/year and if we do it correctly and 2010 is a noncapped year, just make that a 25mil year when the time comes.

The problem with our past approach is we pay top dollar for the best available player in that year's free agency. When the best player is ARE, then you are overpaying.

I can understand what you are saying about Gross; however, I think he can be had for about 7 mil/year. If I am wrong, then we shouldn't pursue him.

Haynesworth on the other hand is where I disagree. It isn't very often that the best defensive player in the NFL at his position is up in FA. The best should get paid the most. The thing about Haynesworth is he is only 27, by next year. He deserves about 10mil/year and if we do it correctly and 2010 is a noncapped year, just make that a 25mil year when the time comes.

The problem with our past approach is we pay top dollar for the best available player in that year's free agency. When the best player is ARE, then you are overpaying.

Of course, the real question to be asked in the case of Albert Haynesworth is... Why would the Titans let him go? Who are they franchising instead of the best DT in the NFL who is young and immensely talented? Why aren't they franchising him? It's the one thing about him that I don't quite like. The conventional wisdom for ALL teams suggests that you keep your best players...so, then, why is Haynesworth available??

lets trade some draft picks and get some players that are in the 30s.. whos down.. wootwoot.. haha... jk. but i agree with u. we have better secondary than giants and carolina. our rbs backs are just as good as theirs if not better.. what is it they have that we dont. a qb, a o, and a dline... their o-line d-line and qbs all come from the draft.. do what shanahan and parcells in miami did. drafter d-linemans and 0lines first, and draft the latter needs later...running back are easier to train than a big beast..

This made my brain hurt....

Archived