Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sammy Baugh

swainy67

Sammy Baugh was laid to rest today in Rotan, TX. A pair of cowboy chaps and a saddle were draped over his coffin and was horse drawn to his gravesite. What should be noted was that there were no Redskin representatives at the funeral. Nonetheless a fitting send off to one of the greats of NFL.

The 2008 Washington Redskins, the (not so) caring franchise.

Not one single representative from the burgundy and gold huh for this ball clubs greatest ever player. WTG Danny, you sure as heck run a classy outfit. :doh:

I'm sure they'll be excuses made on this forum for the Redskins, but that stinks and disgusts in equal measure.

RIP #33. Sounds like you went out the way you were, a good ol' Texan boy.

Hail.

The 2008 Washington Redskins, the (not so) caring franchise.

Not one single representative from the burgundy and gold huh for this ball clubs greatest ever player. WTG Danny, you sure as heck run a classy outfit. :doh:

I'm sure they'll be excuses made on this forum for the Redskins, but that stinks and disgusts in equal measure.

RIP #33. Sounds like you went out the way you were, a good ol' Texan boy.

Hail.

Not so caring? Give me a break. Danny is one of the most caring, accommodating owners in the NFL. Spare us.

How do you know that's not how his family wanted it?

Not so caring? Give me a break. Danny is one of the most caring, accommodating owners in the NFL. Spare us.

How do you know that's not how his family wanted it?

If that was his family's wish, then I take the post back.

But let's say for arguments sake it wasn't his family's wishes. To not represent at the final act of your greatest ever player is disrespectful to be kind. But hey, if you want to excuse it away I'm sure you will.

Hail.

I just marvel how Baugh played 16 seasons in the NFL of that era when he had a constant bullseye on his back every play. I'd equate his longevity to #28s and even greater. I just wonder how many cheap shots he took that would of ended the career of most mortals, and only God knows what would of went on in the bottom of pile ups back then. Too bad T.O. can't play back in those days because he'd receive the treatment he deserves. Maybe he'd cry to mommy instead of "That's my quarterback."(sobbing annoying T.O. voice)

Here's the obit in the WP which is from the AP wire:

Baugh Remembered For His Generosity

Redskins legend Sammy Baugh, shown in 1938, "never met a stranger," a longtime friend said at Baugh's funeral in Rotan, Tex. (Associated Press)

Associated Press

Tuesday, December 23, 2008; Page E03

ROTAN, Tex., Dec. 22 -- Sammy Baugh, the NFL's original gunslinger, was given a cowboy send-off.

The Washington Redskins legend and last surviving member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame's inaugural class of 1963 was remembered by family and friends Monday, five days after he died at age 94.

Baugh's saddle and chaps were draped over his coffin at the front of First Baptist Church in Rotan, where Baugh's life was celebrated through the memories of those closest to him.

He was taken by hearse to a nearby cemetery where a horse-drawn wagon awaited for the slow procession to his grave site.

Two of Baugh's friends -- one wearing a referee's uniform and the other dressed as a cowboy -- stood with their hats off and heads bowed as the wagon made its way to the gravesite.

Baugh was laid to rest beside Edmonia Baugh, his wife of 52 years, who passed away in 1990.

At the funeral, family members remembered Baugh more for his skills as a father and a cowboy than anything connected to football. They recalled him as kind and amiable.

Son David Baugh told how his father frequently opened up his home near this small West Texas town to folks -- strangers sometimes -- and always made them feel like they were the most important people in the world.

"That's the kind of man he was," David Baugh said. "It could be the poorest guy in the world and Sam made you feel like a million dollars. People would come back to see him all the time."

Grandson Brant Baugh said sometimes he'd find some of those strangers sleeping in the bed he used when he'd come visit his grandfather. The first time his grandfather told him it was a friend. The next time, though, the grandson was more dubious.

"What's his name?" Brant Baugh asked his grandfather.

"Well," Brant Baugh recalled the elder Baugh responding, "I just met him."

Friends he made after retiring and those he golfed with spoke of what a good man Baugh was. He and longtime friend Bob O'Day started a benefit golf tournament a few years ago, the Slingin' Sammy Baugh Tournament, at Western Texas College in Snyder.

So far, the tournament has raised enough money to help 57 young adults earn college degrees.

"Sam was a man's man," O'Day said. "He never met a stranger and he could talk to anyone. When you were around, Sam made you feel good."

Starting in the 1930s, Baugh turned the sparingly used forward pass into a potent weapon for the Washington Redskins. He not only led the league in passing six times from 1937 to 1952 but he also punted and played safety on defense. In 1943, he led the league in passing, punting and interceptions.

Baugh guided the Redskins to five NFL title games and two championships. His No. 33 is the only jersey Washington has retired.

His high school in Swee****er, Tex., has done the same, retiring No. 21. Texas Christian University also retired his jersey, No. 45; the Horned Frogs will wear "45" stickers on their helmets to honor Baugh when they face Boise State on Tuesday night in the Poinsettia Bowl in San Diego.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/12/22/AR2008122202020.html

Archived