Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The dilemma that is Shawn Springs

TrumanB

First of all Springs is hardly a top corner in the NFL. I'm not sure what game you've been watching. Second he is injured and for some reason refuses to play hurt. This franchise has offered him every consession affordable. Flexibility to see his ailing father, patience in dealing with his injuries, the ability to workout on his own in Arizona. And what has he done in return. He's shown up to collect his checks. He needs to vanish we can take his 6-7 million a year and spend it on Haynesworth.

He's shown that he thinks only of himself.

1. He would not restructure his contract.

2. He never plays hurt. Wont even consider it.

3. He's injury prone in his later years.

4. His salary is a big issue.

He wont restructure, and he's not the type of player that will take a pay cut. Cut him and move on. We won without him.

If we cut him, he will become a cowboy. Not good.

I'd love to keep him and pay him less.

On the contrary, I'd love to see him keeping their bench warm and showing up on their injury report on a regular basis... ;)

He has already refused to rework his deal in the past, especially considering he knows any effort to do so will make it easier for the FO to cut him with less impact to the cap.

I want to keep him because when he is on the field, he's outstanding.

The problem is, he's never on the field.

We play in a league where DBs are a luxury. We also play in a Division that has TO, Roy Williams, Jason Witten, Bryan Westbrook, DeSean Jackson, and Plaxico Burress (assuming he's going back to NY next season).

We need every quality CB we can get.

First of all Springs is hardly a top corner in the NFL. I'm not sure what game you've been watching.

Well, I'm not sure what game you've been watching. He's the best corner that we have, which is saying a lot because all of our corners are good.

The team has a decision to make in regards to the corner situation. Carlos and Hall need to be resigned and Hall is going to get first priority. Carlos while good in coverage does not make the plays neccessary to be considerd a number one corner in this league. The skins cant put to much money into the corners and if you have to pick one to run with there going to pick hall.

Springs will be here next year & start opposite of DeAngelo Hall. And both them will be getting paid. Carlos will the iffy one. 'Los is great against the run, but he's not a ballhawk like Springs & Hall. But we will still need him for the half season Springs will miss while he's out injured.

Springs will be here next year & start opposite of DeAngelo Hall. And both them will be getting paid. Carlos will the iffy one. 'Los is great against the run, but he's not a ballhawk like Springs & Hall. But we will still need him for the half season Springs will miss while he's out injured.

no way how the hell could they want springs with that contract and his inability to stay healthy. they would be retarded to sign him. carlos needs to work on his hands is all. he would be in the pro bowl and considered a top 5 corner in the league if he had caught all those picks thrown to him and everyone here would say that hes just having a few bad games like every corner does. look at bailey.

Understood, but as a fan you should be concerned that any money Snyder is out due to a dead cap hit means that's less money to sign other players.

You mean less money to overpay aged FA's... ;)

I don't think his remaining signing bonus factors into $8m by cutting him. Not sure how much is left.

no way how the hell could they want springs with that contract and his inability to stay healthy. they would be retarded to sign him. carlos needs to work on his hands is all. he would be in the pro bowl and considered a top 5 corner in the league if he had caught all those picks thrown to him and everyone here would say that hes just having a few bad games like every corner does. look at bailey.

Well of course they'd be retarded to sign him. He's still under contract.:silly:

Take a look.

'Los - 5 INTs Career

Hall - 22 INTs Career (2 as a Skin)

Springs - 32 INTs Career (12 as a Skin)

Smoot - 21 INTs Career (18 as a Skin)

They'll keep Springs regardless of the contract. They're a better D with him on the field.

So, you would be ok with $8.5 million in dead cap money? If I'm not mistaken, wouldn't that be the consequence of outright cutting him?

That is NOT is salary cap hit if we cut him. That is how much he'll make if we KEEP him. Only the signing bonus is guaranteed and that will count, what is left of it.

Shouldn't be more than 2 million for cap hit if we cut him.

He is very valuable, but not sure if it's worth 8.5 to keep him. Unless we have the room or sign him to an extension to lessen it next season.

yup, i think the skins Sign Hall and Keep Springs. carlos wants Big money but his play hasnt waranted a huge pay day. The only year he was focused and studied to improve his game was this season. Carlos due to injury and a contract year knew he had to play well for the money to come. Rogers is a good corner but can not make game changing plays like other premium players you pay for at that position. The skins could end up keeping Springs at his salary this year because it would be cheaper in the long hall for the team rather than paying carlos a huge deal.

Just as I said in the Marcus Washington thread, unless we NEED that cap space, why not keep him?

You don't get extra points for keeping cap space, you use it or you lose it. If we want to talk about overpaid injured vets, how about guys like Jansen? Shawn Springs is the best DB on our team. He has injury problems no doubt, but this relationship can still work. He doesn't need to be an everydown player at this point in his career. Rotate him with our other 3 and keep him fresh for the long haul.

Playing Shawn at that deep FS role could allow us to bring LL back into the box in run/short pass support without exposing us to the deep ball. Positioning Shawn that far back lessens the chance he will have to come into run support even compared to the CB position.

If he must go I understand it's business and 8.5 is a big number for an injury prone player. At the same time, if we aren't planning a splash in FA we likely won't need his cap space. I see no reason not to let him play out his contract and then part our seperate ways.

That is NOT is salary cap hit if we cut him. That is how much he'll make if we KEEP him. Only the signing bonus is guaranteed and that will count, what is left of it.

Shouldn't be more than 2 million for cap hit if we cut him.

He is very valuable, but not sure if it's worth 8.5 to keep him. Unless we have the room or sign him to an extension to lessen it next season.

I guess you have to weigh $2 million in dead cap money against $8.5 million for an outstanding player that may or may not stay healthy to play a whole season. Or, if he's willing to renegotiate, what's the max we'll pay him. $2 million? $3 million? More?

Shawn is a great player, but I think the time has come to let him go. I mean we'd still have one of the better secondaries in the league. But look at the Steelers and the Giants. Who do they have playing CB? Hmmm. McFadden, McQuarters...they're OK. But OH YEAH! That doesn't matter because they have the best pass rushers. Hmmm...what should we do?

Well, I'm not sure what game you've been watching. He's the best corner that we have, which is saying a lot because all of our corners are good.

How can you say that he's the best we have. Springs started in 6 games this season. That's just over 1 million per start (considering his salary). The best corner we have is Hall, then Rodgers. Springs has lost a step it will be nice to see him pack his bags

Oh no, he won't be back unless he does take a significant pay cut. My guess is that he's more of a "me" guy and won't do that. No offense to him. He has to look out for himself and family, but he has not shown that he's much of a team guy IMO. My vote would be to say goodbye and good luck. I liked him here, but it's time to free up some cap space and get younger.

HTTR

Archived