Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Would Fassel have been so bad?

DHECK

I was leading the charge of the anti-Fassel crew.....but I can say for certain after looking at the flaming wreckage of our season after today's game that yes, he would have been better.

Zorn hopped in the plane and we had a blowout on the runway...but he got us up anyhow...he pulled the stick back and took us straight up....then he ran out of gas and took a nose dive. He's done the exact opposite of what you'd want a new coach to do. He rallied the team to an impressive streak at the beginning of the year, then he just blew it up. The team is lost, the sniping is going to get worse, Snyder isn't giving him any backup. After the loss today, he's taking the expressway out of town.

As someone who lived in NYC during the entire Fassel era, I was always surprised why the Skins fan base had such low regard for Jim Fassel in the first place. I knew from the get-go he would have been a far better coach than Zorn, and I'm sure we would not have degenerated into the mess we've gotten ourselves into if the FO hadn't deluded itself into feeling Zorny and just done what common sense dictated, i.e., hire a real coach with a proven track record.

Here's what all of you who hadn't been forced to live with coverage of Giants football day in and day out (like me) seem to just not get:

1) Fassel is perhaps THE ultimate "player's coach." This may sound blasphemous, but I think he would have inspired as much genuine love from his players as even Gibbs would have. All I remember hearing in the NY media is how all the Giants were really saddened when he got fired. Contrast this with Zorn, who's somehow managed to alienate key players on the team in less than a full season for reasons that seem unclear at best and petty at worst. In short, Zorn has not particularly come off as the sort of guy people would put their own bodies and careers on the line for. I think Fassel would have instilled that sort of personal admiration from his players.

2) Fassel, unlike Zorn, knows when thing aren't working and is more than willing and able to make a quick adjustment. Once when the offensive playcalling wasn't working, he took over those duties himself and the rest is history. That was the Superbowl year when he famously guaranteed the team would make the playoffs (and they did) after a severe slump.

3) Fassel, unlike Zorn, is not a West Coast Offense guy.

Anyway, am too tired to type more, but i applaud the OP for making an observation that might seem ridiculous to some, but isn't so ridiculous to those who've been forced to endure NY Giants football these last 10 years or so.

I think with fassel we would be showing signs of improvement this time of the year. I think Zorn suprised a lot of teams early in the season., but now we see that zorn is an awful hire. I say we would have done the opposite of what we did this year. We would have started off slow but finished strong with a promising future next season. Which i would have been very happy to know.

Let Zorn stay if he can find a way to control the mobs. One mob is in the lockerroom, the other is on ES. Who in their right mind would give up on a coach after ONE year?? Just as it was wrong to want to sign Zorn to a 10 year extension 6 weeks ago, it's equally wrong to call for his head now. Reason and patience should always win over hotheadedness.

The Dolphins fired Cam Cameron after one year. How did that turn out?

Fossil would have been like wade Phillips, just not control or power over the situation.

If Fossil had ever fallen into a slump, there would be anarchy, and he would not be able to stop it. Zorn is at least firery and in charge, even if he is getting predictable.

Archived