Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is It Time To Finally Cut Ties With Ladell Betts?

skinsfan07

Let's face it, he's getting old. And he isn't producing like he used too, despite how bad our o-line has been. Even early on in the season when the o-line was blocking well and CP was producing, Betts would come in for relief and hardly do anything.

Personally, I think it's time to cut ties with the guy. Or trade him, whatever works. He would be a great starter for a team like Denver who is running out of RB's like there is no tomorrow (Broncos just reported that Peyton Hillis is gone for the year) so they are real thin at RB. Why not try and trade Betts to Denver for a draft pick or two in the offseason and draft a younger, faster, better change of pace back for CP instead? Of course we need to draft lines first and foremost but I don't see the harm in spending a 4th on a RB that could take some serious pressure off Portis. hell Marion Barber was drafted in the 4th round and we see how good he's doing in Dallas (when he ain't cryin over a little pinkie toe lol).

Carolina showed me today what having 2 fast powerful RB's can do to ANY great defense. Williams and Stewart are phenomenal. Tennessee has been doing it all year. Same with NYG, Minny (Peterson is God-like, and Chester Taylor is a FANTASTIC backup for him, plus they have an amazing O-line that even makes Gus Frerotte look good) Dallas (before Felix Jones went down, he was a STUD and a great change of pace speed back for Barber who is a power back) and even the Dolphins with Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams. We already have one great back in CP but he can't do it alone. And Betts is not that change of pace back. Sorry. Plus, Portis ain't gonna be young forever. Look at LT, his play has dropped off severely b/c the Chargers don't have a change of pace back for him. Sproles is good, but hasn't been nearly as effective as Michael Turner was for them in relief of LT a year ago. I don't want that to happen to CP. I want him to play for as long as his body let's him, but if he keeps getting beat up the way he has been this season, he'll be done in a few years.

So I say, trade Betts for draft picks this offseason, spend a pick on a solid change of pace RB for CP, along with the rest of the picks being on the OL and DL and go from there.

Just my opinion.

I'm no McD5, but Betts is a very good back. No way should we get rid of him UNLESS someone offers multiple mid/late round picks for him.

I just posted this verbatim in a different thread about 20 minutes ago.

Receiving wise yes, rushing, outside of his great 06 season, not so much.

Can you imagine if we had a Johnathon Stewart, Felix Jones or Chris Johnson on our team???

If our O-line got their act together, we'd be a whole lot more successful with an awesome change of pace back like that. When's the last time Betts broke off a 20 yard run, or 15 for that matter? Haven't seen it in a long while. He's a good back, sure, but not who we need in order for this offense to move forward.

And hopefully other teams see that he's a good back and do offer us multiple picks for him. But although I really do think we need to make a change, he's probably still going to be the 2nd stringer behind CP next season , picking up 1 and 2 yards per carry when CP is resting and not really helping us at all. Instead of having a Johnson, Felix Jones or Stewart who can break out for a 40 or 50 yard gain in relief of the starting RB. That's the kind of backup RB we need.

Receiving wise yes, rushing, outside of his great 06 season, not so much.

Can you imagine if we had a Johnathon Stewart, Felix Jones or Chris Johnson on our team???

If our O-line got their act together, we'd be a whole lot more successful with an awesome change of pace back like that. When's the last time Betts broke off a 20 yard run, or 15 for that matter? Haven't seen it in a long while. He's a good back, sure, but not who we need in order for this offense to move forward.

And hopefully other teams see that he's a good back and do offer us multiple picks for him. But although I really do think we need to make a change, he's probably still going to be the 2nd stringer behind CP next season , picking up 1 and 2 yards per carry when CP is resting and not really helping us at all. Instead of having a Johnson, Felix Jones or Stewart who can break out for a 40 or 50 yard gain in relief of the starting RB. That's the kind of backup RB we need.

Excellent points. Another good example would be Bradshaw from the Giants.

Betts is alot like Portis in that he tends to get better with more carries...a rythmic runner. I think he'd be successful as a feature back in any run-first offense. Which is why we'll likely keep him as long as we're run-first...as a legitimate backup should CP go down.

I disagree. We need to focus on OF LIne and Def line only. If we can get our rookie recivers running good and long routes. Getting them heavily involved it will create holes for Betts. Ladell is a good back still. Who can you measure up to Portis? No one. So you sure are not going to get another CP. You look at the backs you mentioned. If we had lines like they do Titans, dallas, CP would have 2500 yards this season already.

The line play has been a disgrace and until they get that worked out. We are toast.

Taylor looks pitiful. He needs to go back to dancing. He has forgotten how to sack.

Offence and defensive line play in this league seperates the Men from the boys.

Right now we are sending boys in to do a mans job.

I don't think it's going to happen this off-season, but it wouldn't be a bad idea.

Betts doesn't bring anything to the table when he comes for Portis, other than good hands coming out of the backfield.

Ideally, we would have a smaller, really fast/shifty back to come in for Portis. Betts brings more of the same, and defenses don't have to adjust at all to Betts and his style of play. If we had some kind of very quick, small, outside runner, defenses would have to be a lot more wary of the screen or dump off to him.

Said it two years ago and I still feel it. Big mistake signing Betts to that contract back in 2006.

Way too much money for a backup runningback.

In the offseason, if we actually do the right thing and start dumping the dead weight with big contracts, Betts should be gone.

If we can trade him for anything, great.

If not, I'd still let him go.

We can find a cheaper player who can do what he does, but hopefully not fumble in critical situations.

Said it two years ago and I still feel it. Big mistake signing Betts to that contract back in 2006.

Way too much money for a backup runningback.

In the offseason, if we actually do the right thing and start dumping the dead weight with big contracts, Betts should be gone.

If we can trade him for anything, great.

If not, I'd still let him go.

We can find a cheaper player who can do what he does, but hopefully not fumble in critical situations.

Well it was only 11 million for 5 years, and at the time he signed it he was coming off a season where he ran for over 1,000 yards, and it appeared that we were going to become much more of a tandem style running team with Portis getting 15-20 carries and Betts getting 10 or so a game.

Since then we've gone entirely away from that, which makes hindsight 20-20 for it, but at the time it wasn't really a bad deal.

Might as well cut the whole team and start all over. How about we just have an open try out next year? Gezzz... If we had a few dozen draft picks then I would say yes, draft someone better if we can. Right now though, RB is one of our more stable positions so unless someone just comes up that we just cant refuse in the draft Betts has to stay. This team needs help in the trenches and LB and I think/hope thats where all of our off season resources should and will be spent. Dont be suprised if every accusition, free agent or draft pick this off season plays DT, DE, OT, G or LB. I expect at least a couple of mid level free agent starters to be signed. I know, I know we are cash strapped but I still think it will happen.

Favre went for a 4th. Randy Moss went for a 4th. Yet our brilliant front office will get an early second rounder for Betts.

like I said earlier, a 4th would be perfect for Betts. There is always talent there. And I KNOW there is some stud who can effectively replace Betts.

I mean, Betts doesn't really bring much to the table when he comes in for relief for Portis, except his hands. I don't know about you, but we don't need a WR coming into backup our starting RB.

Archived