Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

OffSeason Moves Thread: POST YOUR THOUGHTS HERE- DO NOT CREATE NEW THREAD

SkinsNoles21

I wouldn't mind drafting and OLB or DE with the first pick...IF....we don't address T, or get to move back in for more picks. This thread was just merged with the offseason moves thread. I just posted a novel in that thread pretty much in how I'd treat the offseason. It's on page 38 and I think it's a good plan or read at least. Check it out and let me know if anyone agrees.

you cant be serious in thinking drafting a DE in the first round. taylor and carter will suffice if we get a pass rushing DT. thats our most pressing need. but i rather get an o-lineman first.
I agree.

DE is not the concern people make it out to be.

Our problem is the middle of our line doesn't do anything except get stone walled and sometimes even just straight back up field.

DEs are useless if the QB has a huge pocket right in front of him to step up into.

Montgomery can stay as a space eater and run stuffer, but Golston hasn't done anything after showing some promise in 2006, and Griffin has to either take a huge pay cut, or get cut entirely. Injuries and age have combined to slow him down a ton.

Just a thought. The old Hogs upgraded LT by moving Joe Jacoby to the right side and signing Jim Lachey. I wonder if the same approach is not warranted now. Move Samuels to the right side, find a beast for LT and upgrade C. The new line would be Beast-Kendall-New Center-Thomas-Samuels. That gives Reinhardt and Heyer a little more time to develop.

I agree 100% with the D line needing tackles. I, for one, don't think our DE are terrible. They just get ridden out of the plays (which is an easy technique by even the most mediocre OL) because the QB can consistently step up into the pocket rather than having to move back. If he were moving back, our ends would have him every time.

I think youreon to something. We actually traded Schroeder for Lachey. I think we need to think the slow-thinking Campbell for a LT

I'm in the boat that we should use FA and the draft to fix our needs. Last year we didn't sign any FA's, largely because the market was so weak and we didn't have the cap space. But we should still look into signing some young, cheap talent that haven't worked out in other places and see if they can fit into our system. What we can't get in FA, we should get in the draft. Teams have shown they can use FA to win. Just look at the FA's New England signed in 2007 and the ones Dallas signed. They have worked out, but they have to be the right talent for the right system.

Washington has had a history of not signing people fit for a system. Jason Taylor is a product of a 3-4 defense, not a 4-3 like the Redskins. Others like Lloyd and Arch came from very different systems. Real teams take the talent that best fits our system, in our case the West Coast Offense. We still have too much of the old Joe Gibbs smash mouth scheme and if Zorn really wants to implement his new offense he has to get talent suited for it, not force it into a system that it can't thrive in.

I'm going to assume you dont even watch the games.

When Landry and ST were both playing, LL was playing SS and was always near the LOS... not much roaming going on there. He only began roaming and recorded his first 2 INT's when he was at FS when Doughty was at SS.

As for Horton, major mistakes? He was a 7th round pick and has been our 3rd best player on the defense this season.

You are right i don't watch the games because i can't. Where i go to school i get the panthers unfortunately but i do listen to them online on the radio. I love this team but he is the problem with LaRon he would work better in two deep man-man coverage scheme. People don't throw his way because he is on the side of Rogers. Now horton, i love him to death but he did give the cowboys two touchdowns; one to witten in the first game and one to Bennett in second game which turned out to be the game winner. He needs to start roaming the field also because the skins secondary is built for that two deep man to man defense with our linebackers biltizing.

The redskins lose out and they will get a top ten draft pick with the choice of micheal johnson, Aaron Curry, Greg Hardy, or Eugene Monroe or maybe Ray Magunla as their pick.

We've seen too many absolutely horrid football teams completely turn it around to ever use the term "rebuilding". This hit bottom, but take 3-4 years, slow build stuff is for the birds and a myth to lower expectations. Why do we have to be the ones that have to be on a rebuilding program that takes a while? This team will probably finish in the neighborhood of .500, they're not THAT far.

No way we take him. He got beat like a drum against Orakepo (sp). We don't need a tackle that cant handle aspeed rusher in the East

Osi, Ware, and Cole would eat him alive. All the time.

I'm not sure which one of them he'd face if he starts out Right Tackle, but the thought just scares the hell out of me.

Snyder will sign Vick to a 7 year, $100 million contract.

Trade two first round picks to the Kansas penal system to get him.

That made me laugh a lot harder than I wanted to. :(

This guy has played SAM and MIKE at Miami; start him at strong. Whenever London decides to hang his cleats, slide him over. Vilma will know our system by then and his stats don't lie...the kid can play! Plus there was rumors of him coming here last year which failed (I know, Fletcher signed). Yes, I was posting for him last year and I'll continue to do so. He won't cost us any picks this time around....so what's up? :point2sky

Vilma's current stats

Jonathan Vilma age: 26 DOB: 04/16/82

2008 Tackles

G | Solo | Ast | Total | Sack | INT | FF | Pass Defl

14__82___29___111___1.0 ____1____2_____6

How sick would this be...

Rocky McIntosh | London Flether | Jonathan Vilma

bye bye Washington...hellooooo Vilma

6771.jpg?

http://blogs.nypost.com/sports/giants/archives/2008/12/vilma_situation.html

December 15, 2008

Vilma situation hurts Giants

The NFL Network is reporting that the Saints will not extend the contract of LB Jonathan Vilma , which is not good news for the Jets and Giants.

If the Saints had extended Vilma the Jets would have received the Saints second-round pick in this year's draft, while the Giants (per the TE Jeremy Shockey trade) would have gotten bumped from a second and fifth-round pick in 2009 to a first-round pick in 2010.

The Jets used the Saints fourth-round pick to select starting CB Dwight Lowery in 2008, but while they get New Orleans' third rounder in 2009, they have to give the Saints their fourth-round pick.

It came as no surprise that the Saints decided not to extend Vilma given the circumstances. Vilma has had a decent season (104 tackles), but teams generally do not give away a first-round pick unless it's necessary. Vilma will now be a free agent after this season.

This guy has played SAM and MIKE at Miami; start him at strong. Whenever London decides to hang his cleats, slide him over. Vilma will know our system by then and his stats don't lie...the kid can play! Plus there was rumors of him coming here last year which failed (I know, Fletcher signed). Yes, I was posting for him last year and I'll continue to do so. He won't cost us any picks this time around....so what's up? :point2sky

Vilma's current stats

Jonathan Vilma age: 26 DOB: 04/16/82

2008 Tackles

G | Solo | Ast | Total | Sack | INT | FF | Pass Defl

14__82___29___111___1.0 ____1____2_____6

How sick would this be...

Rocky McIntosh | London Flether | Jonathan Vilma

bye bye Washington...hellooooo Vilma

6771.jpg?

http://blogs.nypost.com/sports/giants/archives/2008/12/vilma_situation.html

December 15, 2008

Vilma situation hurts Giants

The NFL Network is reporting that the Saints will not extend the contract of LB Jonathan Vilma , which is not good news for the Jets and Giants.

If the Saints had extended Vilma the Jets would have received the Saints second-round pick in this year's draft, while the Giants (per the TE Jeremy Shockey trade) would have gotten bumped from a second and fifth-round pick in 2009 to a first-round pick in 2010.

The Jets used the Saints fourth-round pick to select starting CB Dwight Lowery in 2008, but while they get New Orleans' third rounder in 2009, they have to give the Saints their fourth-round pick.

It came as no surprise that the Saints decided not to extend Vilma given the circumstances. Vilma has had a decent season (104 tackles), but teams generally do not give away a first-round pick unless it's necessary. Vilma will now be a free agent after this season.

Vilma has been a dissappointment for the Saints this year for what they gave up. His knee injury is still obviously hampering him a bit. I wouldn't be opposed to getting him, but for cheap and only if guys like Angelo Crowell or Channing Crowder aren't available.

I say Skins go after

RT Gross

RB/Return Man Sproles

K Bironas

I think they should go after a LB to replace Washington. I am not sure which one of the following would play SLB but sign one of the following players.

Angelo Crowell

Leroy Hill

Channing Crowder

The draft picks should be spent all on D-Line/O-Line.

I say Skins go after

RT Gross

RB/Return Man Sproles

K Bironas

I think they should go after a LB to replace Washington. I am not sure which one of the following would play SLB but sign one of the following players.

Angelo Crowell

Leroy Hill

Channing Crowder

The draft picks should be spent all on D-Line/O-Line.

Sproales will want to go somewhere where he is more involved in the offense and good money.

Gross will be 29 starting next season. He will want a pretty penny to leave a good team like Carolina.

Channing Crowder plays MLB but could play SLB. Crowell is an OLB and I think is the SAM

Sproales will want to go somewhere where he is more involved in the offense and good money.

Gross will be 29 starting next season. He will want a pretty penny to leave a good team like Carolina.

Channing Crowder plays MLB but could play SLB. Crowell is an OLB and I think is the SAM

You don't think we could run plays for Sproles? I say get him 8-10 touches a game plus return duties.

Gross will be 29 but he is a solid player. The Panthers can not franchise both Gross and Peppers.

Crowder played one of the OLB positions when they had Zach Thomas.

You don't think we could run plays for Sproles? I say get him 8-10 touches a game plus return duties.

Gross will be 29 but he is a solid player. The Panthers can not franchise both Gross and Peppers.

Crowder played one of the OLB positions when they had Zach Thomas.

Shoot, I would give Sproales the bulk. I think he would be VERY productive. But i'm not sure how that will go over with CP, which I don't care, but we are just so invested in CP.

I just think Gross will cost a lot and I don't want another Jansen situation where we pay a lot for an "older" guy and he gets injured and before we know it he is 31 and on the downside of his career. It all depends on how much he costs IMO, but I would love to have him.

I think both Crowder and Crowell would be great pickups. Seeing as how cheap Buffalo is with their players and they lose everyone, I really think we can still sign him to a decent contract.

Lawrence Sidbury had a big game last night in the FCS title game, logging 4 sacks. He showed some impressive moves. He could be a good move in the later rounds as a situational pass-rusher. Lots of upside.

http://richmondspiders.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/sidburyjr_lawrence00.html

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=81224&draftyear=2009&genpos=DE

http://www.draftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/de/Lawrence-Sidbury-Jr.php

Lawrence Sidbury had a big game last night in the FCS title game, logging 4 sacks. He showed some impressive moves. He could be a good move in the later rounds as a situational pass-rusher. Lots of upside.

http://richmondspiders.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/sidburyjr_lawrence00.html

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=81224&draftyear=2009&genpos=DE

http://www.draftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/de/Lawrence-Sidbury-Jr.php

LOL, i just wrote the same thing in the mock draft thread. You saw him too on sportscenter?

My dream situation would be to sign Gross and to take Duke Robinson with our first round pick.

Duke is hands-down the best guard to come out of college in the last few years. His strength is run-blocking (he's a bulldozer) but all of the draft sites say he's very good in pass-pro as well.

Our starting OL would look like this:

Samuels/Robinson/Rabach/Thomas/Gross

Now that's a hell of an OL no matter who you ask.

Then I'd LOVE to see us take Rashad Jennings (RB) from Liberty, with our 3rd rounder. This guy would be the perfect compliment to Portis and Betts.

He's 6-1 and 232 llbs but runs a 4.42.

He's a beast:

Another good big back that would be available then would be Arian Foster from Tennessee

Here's Arian Foster:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9WEqazSq5I

He's big too but could use to pack on some weight to help his durability.

To me, making just those moves would improve our offense significantly. We would be light years better in pass protection and run blocking, and we would have a big back to help in the running game that would really compliment Portis's/Betts' styles.

Teams are going 3 backs more often now because it keeps the runners fresh and helps them get big yards on a tired defense.

And as far as DL goes, I think we can wait until 2010 and draft a slew of DL help.

I believe in the philosophy of loading up on a certain area of the game in each draft. A lot of successful teams have been doing that for years, including Indy, NYG, Dallas, and Tennessee.

Doing the above would fix our OL in one draft/offseason and would help our overall running game as well.

There are some serious DL prospects for 2010 and we might be better off waiting on that class of DTs....look up Marvin Austin of UNC, he will be a junior but has been wreaking havoc in backfields since starting as a true freshman...and he's from DC so you know he'd love to play for us.

LOL, yep I was watching the highlights and he was causing some serious trouble for Montana's QB!

He had some nice moves. And looked quick. I wonder how he would do against a real RT? But he is definitely worth looking at in the later rounds.

We will have Carter, Evans, Jackson, Wilson and possibly Daniels? I would like to see someone a little heavier like Evans especially with Daniels on the outs. We definitely will need to address the interior DL to free up our speed rushers.

He had some nice moves. And looked quick. I wonder how he would do against a real RT? But he is definitely worth looking at in the later rounds.

We will have Carter, Evans, Jackson, Wilson and possibly Daniels? I would like to see someone a little heavier like Evans especially with Daniels on the outs. We definitely will need to address the interior DL to free up our speed rushers.

Tyson Jackson is supposedly the best run stopping DE on the boards but he's most likely a first-rounder so I don't see us getting him.

If you look at my post before this one, I'm starting to think that we should concentrate on the OL with our first day picks.

I was doing some research and noticed that a lot of teams will draft a slew of one area of the game to help build/deepen that area and we could do the same with the OL with the draft/FA.

And like I said above if we can grab Jordan Gross and a guard in round 1 (or 2 if we trade down) I wouldn't mind seeing us get one of those bigger backs I mentioned in round 3 to help out Portis/Betts, especially later in the season like this.

Tyson Jackson is supposedly the best run stopping DE on the boards but he's most likely a first-rounder so I don't see us getting him.

If you look at my post before this one, I'm starting to think that we should concentrate on the OL with our first day picks.

I was doing some research and noticed that a lot of teams will draft a slew of one area of the game to help build/deepen that area and we could do the same with the OL with the draft/FA.

And like I said above if we can grab Jordan Gross and a guard in round 1 (or 2 if we trade down) I wouldn't mind seeing us get one of those bigger backs I mentioned in round 3 to help out Portis/Betts, especially later in the season like this.

If we grab a FA OL, I think we should definitely spend the second round pick on a DT. Our DT's all blow. Monty is the only one worth keeping as a rotational starter IMO. Golston is simply a backup while Griffin is done. I would like us to sign a FA DT like Tubbs, as you can see in my sig, to compliment our draft pick.

I think we can find a quality C/G in the fifth round. Some people have AQ Shipley going higher, but there are other guys like Eric Wood.

I think we can find a nice power back to compliment CP and Betts in the undrafted rookie class.

I really think we need a cut back speedy type of running back like Darren Sproales, Pierre Thomas, Norwood, Deangelo williams etc. There is a kid that is a kick returner, I will find his name.

arcus Thigpen, Indiana

Height: 5-9. Weight: 195.

Projected 40 Time: 4.37.

Projected Round (2009): 5-6.

5/21/08: Marcus Thigpen's not listed this high for his skills as a running back (568 yards, three touchdowns). Instead, he's a fifth-round prospect because he's one of the top kick returners in the nation.

Archived