Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

OffSeason Moves Thread: POST YOUR THOUGHTS HERE- DO NOT CREATE NEW THREAD

SkinsNoles21

We're going to have a top 10 pick. I would go with RT. Less risk and we would sheer up the line for years to come. Move Jansen inside or let Chad play. Either way works.

1rst Rnd: OL Tackle

3rd Rnd: DT (BPA)

We can address OLB in FA.

Even at 7-9, we won't have a top 10 pick. Unless we trade up. But we have too many needs and not enough ammo to do that.

We're going to have a top 10 pick. I would go with RT. Less risk and we would sheer up the line for years to come. Move Jansen inside or let Chad play. Either way works.

1rst Rnd: OL Tackle

3rd Rnd: DT (BPA)

We can address OLB in FA.

Top 10 pick? Ten teams that will be picking ahead of us most likely are the Lions, Bengals, Chiefs, Raiders, Seahawks, Rams, possibly the Bills, Packers, 49ers, Chargers.

I don't see a top 10 pick for us. I'd like a pass rushing LB, but I think Sintim reminds me too much of Darryl Blackstock. I'd much rather take a guy like Larry English and move him to a 4-3 OLB, like Marcus Washington was with the Colts.

More in favor of drafting a pass rusher at defensive end with Michael Johnson from Georgia Tech looking very enticing

Michael Johnson doesn't look like an every down starter. I'd rather have an OT like Oher or a killer safety like Taylor Mays, the second coming of Sean Taylor.

I think we should go after a linebacker in Free Agency and use the draft for lineman to infuse youth into both of our lines (offensive and defensive).

Im thinking we need either a RT (if somehow Eugene Monroe, Michael Oher, or Andre Smith fell) or a DT (Terrence Cody, Peria Jerry, or B.J. Raji). I would prefer RT, but i just dont think any of those 3 guys will fall, if we do go RT we may have to go Jason Smith from Baylor.

our o-line and Dt positions are hurting badly, and that is what we need to draft.

As for LB's, they'd be nice to have, but it seems that LB play is most determined by D-line, especially DT play. Also, good, contributing LB's have been found late as well as in the first, it's probably the position that is easiest to draft across the board.

I think we should go after a linebacker in Free Agency and use the draft for lineman to infuse youth into both of our lines (offensive and defensive).

Im thinking we need either a RT (if somehow Eugene Monroe, Michael Oher, or Andre Smith fell) or a DT (Terrence Cody, Peria Jerry, or B.J. Raji). I would prefer RT, but i just dont think any of those 3 guys will fall, if we do go RT we may have to go Jason Smith from Baylor.

Terrence Cody said he wasn't going to declare early...but who knows.

Cody would be a good set up for us to run a 3-4

the dude is like 370 lbs

Draft Place will depend on what happens these last 2 weeks.

If we lose out, I can see us between Pick 11-15.

It sure would be hard to pass up a chance to take those OT.

But I'm more for trading down to get more draft picks.

There are ALOT of OLine talent this year.

Regarding LBs... I can see us going for Suggs. He can fill our pass rushing need from both DE/OLB.

The state of our team is such that moves to strengthen our D without first strengthening our O means a true rebuilding year. In other words, if we draft anything but OLine with our first two picks you will end up with a slightly better defense but still no offense. We will lose more games than we win - guaranteed.

As you continue to strengthen the D with first round picks, the OLine will continue to age. They held up for the first 8 games and then went spiraling downhill as the season and age began to wear on them. Next year will not be any better.

The main argument for not strengthening D is the rule of diminishing returns. If you put an all time all star team out there on D, what is the best that can be accomplished? Answer: the other teams scores 0. But if your offense can't score either, then the best you can hope for is a tie.

You need offense to get your D off the field. Drafting D without first fixing the offense, particularly the OLine, is pouring money down a rat hole until you finally fix the OLine.

I agree with the original poster on his points about the team and who needs to go, and what we need to do. Unfortunately this can’t be done in one offseason. This is going to be long, so bear with me. This is what I would do in the offseason.

Before we go into my draft pick suggestions, I think we have to make an OLine FA splash. The team will restructure contracts, and will probably let some personnel go to free up cap space. I would like the team to after Jordan Gross. The guy is an absolute monster, and we need to protect our QBs backside. He turns 28 this summer, so he’s still at a good age. We have to go against the likes of Tuck, Umenyiora, Trent Cole, Ware, and Ellis twice a year each. We need to take care of the tackle position immediately. This would be the only FA I’d like to see us go after. I’d like this move because it’s a sure thing. We know what we’ll get. I want the team to get back on the drafting bandwagon, but we’re in a hole here. I think this would help us address other areas in the draft. I’m willing to put money that Samuels gets injured at some point this season. Keep Heyer to back him up when this happens. We will be able to see if he’s going to be a long term guy for the tackle position on this team.

We could go many different ways with the first pick. It all depends on whether we can trade back, or if we pick at 15, who are on the board. The best case scenario is moving back. I think the team needs to make it a priority to try and move back. This team absolutely screwed itself with the JT trade. I wasn’t excited when it happened…now I’m pissed. I really thought he and Carter could get 15-20 sacks between them…but still felt we gave up too much. Well we didn’t get ****, and lost 2 picks for it….2 picks that could have benefited us greatly.

If we cannot trade back, I say we go with OLB or DE. There are a couple of good looking picks that we might be able to grab at 14 or 15. I really would like to see Aaron Curry be on the board when we pick. OLB needs to be addressed…although not as soon as the D and O lines….this is where BPA comes into play. This guy fills a need, and is a monster. Look at his numbers…99 tackles, 13.5 for a loss, 4 INTs, 4 passes defended, and 3 sacks. I doubt he finds his way to us as he is steadily increasing on the boards. If he is not on the board, I’d like us to grab either Greg Hardy or Michael Johnson. Both are solid pass rushing DEs who disrupt the backfield. On one draft board, the analyst said Greg Hardy reminded him of D. Ware. I highly doubt he’d turn out as good, but if he can become anything close to that…score 1 for the good guys. These are the guys I’m looking if we can’t trade back.

If we can trade back, we should get a 1st round pick somewhere in the 20s, and hopefully a late 2nd round pick. If this occurs, I’d imagine all of the guys in the previous paragraph are off the board. If this is the case, hopefully either Alex Mack or Brian Cushing is still on the board. Alex Mack is the real deal and can play both guard and center. Most people agree he is a future pro bowler. Even if he isn’t a tackle, if we can grab a potential pro bowl OL player, we have to. If Mack is not available, go with Cushing. He should be a very good OLB and will be Washington’s replacement for us. If both are not available, Dunta Robinson should be, and I’d go with him. He’s the best guard in the draft. Most teams take guard later, but he’s a projected 1st rounder for a reason. In the 2nd round, if we picked Cushing, go with either the best center or guard available. If we went offensive line, go with BPA at RB or DT. I say RB because the team doesn’t use Betts much. If all they are going to do is use him as a pass catcher out of the backfield, trade him for a 4th round pick if we can. I’d like a 3rd, but I don’t know if that’s likely. Mike Sellers has shown he is excellent at catching out of the backfield. Get him past the DLine, and he makes the first secondary player miss (it’s almost a given). He’s all we need in that role for us. They need a change of pace back to alleviate Portis’ high carry numbers. As some guys have moved up the board, it looks like some good DTs are falling to the 2nd round. If there is a solid guy here at the position, go with it.

The 3rd round is simple. If we only had one pick in the 1st round and went with an OLB or DE, get the best guard or center available. If we trade back for two picks, by my calculations, we should have either grabbed a C or G by this point. I’ve read reports that there will be good centers in the 3rd round available. Most teams also draft guards in the 3rd round right? Whatever position we drafted at before, draft a lineman at the other. We should be able to get someone pretty good in this round on the line. Hopefully we find a gem.

As far as the other rounds go….look for a PR or G/C. ARE has not performed well obviously. I do think he gets screwed with some of the worst return coverage in the NFL. When he has room to run though, he doesn’t come through. In that Bengals game, he received 1 punt on our 40 yard line. He ran for 10 yards before any Bengals came on the tv screen. What he do??? He ran back 10 yards trying to make something happen and then lost the 10 yards he did have. If we can get a guy who is fast and a good PR while providing depth at another position…get him. If we couldn’t trade back and only have picked up either a G or C, grab the other if there is someone the teams feels is worth it.

Sorry it was so long, but obviously no one can predict one perfect scenario. This is what I would do depending on the scenario we face in the draft. The draft is also predicated on us signing the FA at the tackle position. If we don not do so, I would also looks at the best tackle available with the first pick. It’s best to build the line outside in. We need someone to protect JCs back. We cannot fix all our problems this offseason, but I think this approach is definitely a good start.

As far as coaching goes, I would get rid of Danny Smith and Stan Hixon. ST has just looked horrendous. Get rid of the P and K. Both are terrible, but not the sole problem. Smith has failed miserably and we need a guy who can implement schemes to get us some sort of yardage on punt returns. As far as Hixon goes, he hasn't done anything for our receivers. I posted this is a forum earlier. 2 examples are Lloyd and David Patten. Both were good if not great contributors for their team before they came here. Both sucked ass and did nothing their tenure here. Lloyd, not even a full year with the Bears, has done more in that time spand than 2 - 3 years he spent here. Patten is stretching the field in NO and has been a solid for them currently. I think Zorn needs to demand less of our current rookies and just get them on the field. They need to learn through mistakes...esp while we're losing and trying to get this offense down. We also need a WR coach to better develop and get our WRs ready. Zorn will spend most time running the offense, and developing the QB. We need that skill position coach to gets guys ready.

This is what I would do in the offseason. Again...I apologize for length. I just wanted to give a fairly in depth view. Yes this took me forever to write!!!

Pass Rushing OLBs play in 3-4 schemes. I want to change to one because of its pass rushing properties.

The only thing is, we can't switch so drastically with little resources, considering how Cap Space and lack of draft picks. Not to mention the most pressing need is OL, which simply can not wait.

Michael Johnson doesn't look like an every down starter. I'd rather have an OT like Oher or a killer safety like Taylor Mays, the second coming of Sean Taylor.

The LAST thing we need is another Safety, especially one who is really just a workout warrior.

Unless Rogers, Hall, and Landry all have career ending injuries, we don't need to draft or sign a DB.

What?

No. Taylor Mays will never be half the players Sean Taylor was. LaRon Landry came out as a better prospect than Mays.

That's absurd- if we draft Taylor Mays I'd probably drive my car into a deep lake.

Someone else said it right earlier, we'll be picking between 10-15, which means (without trading down):

Round 1: Right Tackle

Round 3: Best DT available

The state of our team is such that moves to strengthen our D without first strengthening our O means a true rebuilding year. In other words, if we draft anything but OLine with our first two picks you will end up with a slightly better defense but still no offense. We will lose more games than we win - guaranteed.

As you continue to strengthen the D with first round picks, the OLine will continue to age. They held up for the first 8 games and then went spiraling downhill as the season and age began to wear on them. Next year will not be any better.

The main argument for not strengthening D is the rule of diminishing returns. If you put an all time all star team out there on D, what is the best that can be accomplished? Answer: the other teams scores 0. But if your offense can't score either, then the best you can hope for is a tie.

You need offense to get your D off the field. Drafting D without first fixing the offense, particularly the OLine, is pouring money down a rat hole until you finally fix the OLine.

:applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause:

i think of part of the problem on defense is that laundry can not roam the field like he did when sean taylor was here. Another safety would be nice because horton has made major mistakes but he is a rookie also and can only get better!!!

I'm going to assume you dont even watch the games.

When Landry and ST were both playing, LL was playing SS and was always near the LOS... not much roaming going on there. He only began roaming and recorded his first 2 INT's when he was at FS when Doughty was at SS.

As for Horton, major mistakes? He was a 7th round pick and has been our 3rd best player on the defense this season.

--------------------

But as for the topic, I want our first pick to be O-line, but seeing as how we don't have a second, I am in favor of trading down, even tho I usually never am.

Archived