Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why aren't we using the full back?

#44XTREMEPOWER

Realize that much of our success has come from using the full back in 3rd and short so why do we continue to go with Portis? the years we have been competitive we used Big Mike Sellars as a reciever and a full back.Of course you need to have the holes to run through also. I also noticed Casey Rabach has be shoved around quit a bit, if the O line collapses at the center it drives the QB directly into the DE's so what now?

It is a crime Zorny is not using Sellars with the ball to take pressure off everyone...imagine if the front 7 had to defend Sellers before they could look at CP

all the players should be pissed.

I don't get what Zorn is doing... it seems he doesn't utilize his weapons to the fullest or is able to get them in space to make plays. I see no rhythm and tempo zero zilch...they need to watch some old 49er tapes over and over.

On that 4th and 1 in the 4th quarter I dont understand why we gave it to Portis when we have Sellers right there....Portis was obviously hurt, and hadnt broken any runs all day....bad call on Zorns part

I don't think it would have mattered if we had run Sellers on the 4th and 1. Jansen didn't block anyone and thus Portis got mauled. I understand your point, though. Why not give the ball to your bruiser in short yardage?

Realize that much of our success has come from using the full back in 3rd and short so why do we continue to go with Portis? the years we have been competitive we used Big Mike Sellars as a reciever and a full back.

I agree that Sellars is underused as a pass catcher and that we should give him a few more. Its surprising b/c the FB is key player in the traditional Pro-form WCO like Rathman.

:cheers:

I absolutely love Mike Sellers, but he does not get the job done in 3rd and short or 4th and short situations.

HOWEVER, he excels in the open field. That is his strength. This is now 3 times in the last 2 years he hurdles a player. He is a great pass catcher and a red zone threat to catch a TD pass. I would have no problem at all with more plays designed going to him through the air, but not on the ground.

We definitely should use Sellers more, but while he's a definite beast, he's actually very limited in what he does.

He's a decent receiving threat and is always good for YAC, but he's not a consistent target. Running the ball, he seems to have aged this year. He used to be almost automatic in short yardage and goal line, but now he doesn't seem to have the leg drive to finish it off.

Bottom line, use him for what he's good at. Plowing through linebackers and opening holes for Portis.

I absolutely love Mike Sellers, but he does not get the job done in 3rd and short or 4th and short situations.

HOWEVER, he excels in the open field. That is his strength. This is now 3 times in the last 2 years he hurdles a player. He is a great pass catcher and a red zone threat to catch a TD pass. I would have no problem at all with more plays designed going to him through the air, but not on the ground.

I have to agree. If Sellars can get one on one in open space he can be pretty dangerous. His athletic ability is surprising for a big guy. Most corners and DB's are forced to go low on him which is what allows him to hurdle them. On the inside run plays so many people are calling for him he ends up getting tripped up and falling short.

I'm much more comfortorable with CP on short yardage than big Mike but would still like to see him get his touches throughout the game. CP is just much better at keeping his legs moving and pushing the pile than Mike and also has the ability to bounce out or cut backside if the defense overpursues.

I think it's simple, we haven't been using big Mike on short yardage situations because Portis has been able to pick up the tough yards on his own. I don't know many situations where he would have picked up a first down that Portis missed just because he's bigger. What I do like is using him as a pass catcher around the goal line, like in Dallas and when they tried it in Seattle. That's a nice weapon against defenses expecting to see Portis inside the 5 yard line.

Archived