Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cooley at WR #2/Z?

RenegadeTK

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Look, here's the thing about that. Where you see people lined up on the field is usually their specialty, and if it's not, you'll here them talk about where they're a beast in an interview. Cooley is so much more explosive off of the line, hanging around near a tackle. Making it look like he's gonna block but running a route. It's all about the gameplan. The game plan isn't stick some good guys in this position to this position and see how cool it would be! It's not that.

The whole mindset of cooley and important of him starting off next to the offensive line is that they can quickly form a screen formation and block for him, he can block, and he can run routes.

I don't mean to quibble, but http://www.nfldraftscout.com numbers are the players official combine and pro-day numbers. The numbers from the washingtontimes article appear to be rounded to the tenths, official 40 times are always given in hundredths e.g.(4.87) not tenths (4.8) another thing even if they are rounding the numbers to the tenths 4.9 would be correct not 4.8.

Look it, i like Cooley. Pro Bowl TE.

nuff said

:cheers:

HTTR!

Cooley is one of the best in the league at sealing the edge from the TE position. He is a major reason behind Clinton Portis' success this season.

In anything but 4 wr sets, you lose that.

Plus, if we move Cooley out wide then you only create another hole in the passing game at TE. The Redskins should focus on getting Devin Thomas up to speed rather than far fetched fixes like moving Cooley to the Z position.

I doubt that the 'see what happens' option is viable. The answer presumably is that if the coach sees an opportunity for a particular play then he'll go with it. I guess there could be situations where shifting Cooley would unbalance a D with a look they didnt expect but since the team isnt exactly jumping at the opportunity to do so you have to assume they reckon its not something we could go with as regular play.

Did I just say 'no' there?....:silly:

:helmet:

We've done that before. I think we even did that last week. A few plays is way different than replacing the #2 receiver though.

true.... but my vote was to only do it a couple plays and see what happens, see whether we should do it more often. i think it would be effective to slide him out there every so often.

true.... but my vote was to only do it a couple plays and see what happens, see whether we should do it more often. i think it would be effective to slide him out there every so often.
Interesting.

Getting the ball to Cooley more would be a good idea.

Cooley is one of the top TEs in league because linebackers and some safeties have a difficult time covering him.

Zorn and Saunders both have used Cooley out wide and in the slot, trying to create the match-up of Cooley 1 on 1 with a linebacker or a safety.

IMO moving Cooley to the Z would be counter productive, he's not quick enough or fast enough to consistently get open vs an NFL CB.

:cheers:

Archived