Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cooley at WR #2/Z?

RenegadeTK

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

What do you all think? With our obvious lack of a legit WR to compliment Moss, why not slide Cooley out there? Especially with ARE hurt right now, and not performing like we need him to.

Positives / Responses to Negatives

- Cooley has established himself as a threat in the NFL.

- Defenses would pay him a lot more attention than they would James Thrash.

- Apparently Devin Thomas isn't where we need him to be (but i'm still hopeful).

- Who knows what Malcolm Kelly is capable of.

- Yoder has performed well and Fred Davis is suppose to be a stud, so it's not like we have no one to move to TE.

- It would IMMENSELY help our run blocking on the outside.

- He has lined up in the slot numerous times.

- He isn't as slow as most people think. Remember that long TD he ripped off against the Panthers a couple seasons ago?

- 6'3, 249.... CBs would be a bit intimidated.

so what do you all think? I will leave it to you to put up some negatives.

chriscooley.gifcooley.jpgCooley.pngCooley1.jpg

DISCLAIMERS:

- Believe me, I am not one of those hardcore "Captain Chaos" fans that you see around here and at games.

- I used the google-search function and didn't find anything. My apologies if this has been discussed lately

yeah... but if ARE, matt jones & devin hester can convert, i think Cooley could manage shifting to receiver.

It's not a matte of converting as much as make up. Chris Cooley, as great a receiver as he is, just isn't that fast. ARE, Matt Jones, and especially Hester are much faster than Cooley and can at times get separation from a Corner. Cooley is usually on Linebackers or at the worst, a safety.

cooley ran a 4.6 at his pro day.... not horrible. better than malcolm kelly's.

everyone that is immediately dismissing the idea, you really think that having james thrash out there is that much more effective than if we had cooley out there?

Yes because as a #2 receiver, you get the other teams 2nd best CB covering you, Cooley is slow compared to them, he can separate from LB's much easier than he can from a CB.

I dont know what you have in your pipe man, but i want some :D Ok im going to bed this made my head hurt hehe

i definitely understand the speed argument... but i think people are underestimating his game speed.

plus with all the 3+ receiver sets we put out, if the other team's defense DOES put their #2 cb on cooley at the Z, then their #3 cb would be guarding whoever you prefer to be the Z receiver... which would give us an advantage anyway

What do you all think? With our obvious lack of a legit WR to compliment Moss, why not slide Cooley out there? Especially with ARE hurt right now, and not performing like we need him to.

Positives / Responses to Negatives

- Cooley has established himself as a threat in the NFL.....

- He has lined up in the slot numerous times.

so what do you all think? I will leave it to you to put up some negatives.

Interesting.

Getting the ball to Cooley more would be a good idea.

Cooley is one of the top TEs in league because linebackers and some safeties have a difficult time covering him.

Zorn and Saunders both have used Cooley out wide and in the slot, trying to create the match-up of Cooley 1 on 1 with a linebacker or a safety.

IMO moving Cooley to the Z would be counter productive, he's not quick enough or fast enough to consistently get open vs an NFL CB.

:cheers::2cents:

cooley ran a 4.6 at his pro day.... not horrible. better than malcolm kelly's.

Cooley 40 times: Combine: 4.87/ Pro day: 4.74

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=58466&draftyear=2004&genpos=TE

Cooley is entirely too slow to play the Z.

Typically your Z is a speedy receiver that has quickness. Lots of motions involve the Z.

If anything, I think the X would be a better spot if you were going to shift him to receiver. The X is typically a bigger bodied receiver with strength that can fight off a jam and get into his route.

However, a starting corner would be alot faster than Cooley no matter how you slice it. Cooley would have a tough time getting open downfield.

I like how we utilize him in 3 or 4 receiver packages now. Shifting him to receiver probably isn't the best idea.

It would be great if he ever would get open but he isn't Gates in regard of being able to slide out or outrun anybody. If he can get open against any CB in the league, that corner would be looking for a new job. If he got open, the funny thing would be trying to watch a CB try to tackle him.

Actually, I believe Cooley is slower than people give him credit for. Tough as nails to bring down though.

... When did we get Devin Hester?

He was providing examples of position changes, not position changes from the Redskins.

oh I see. Didn't have my coffee yet:D

Archived