Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

VERY interesting Discussion between Deepak Chopra and Sean Hannity on Fox News

footballhenry

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-q_8FjN6IQg

Above is a link to the 6 minute interview Deepak Chopra has with Hannity and Colmes on his new book, Jesus: A Story of Enlightenment. I was fascinated by how Deepak handled Hannity's questions. I thought Hannity came across a little too aggressive but I guess thats to be expected. I definitely would like to read this new book of Chopra's; sounds very very interesting.

*note: you might have to ignore some of the text throughout the video as whoever posted it certainly put in their own 'opinion' at times*

:doh: deepak is a loon. He lost me when he said the leader of Iran isn't evil.

That's like saying Hitler wasn't evil just alittle misguided.

I think you should watch it again. He didn't say he wasn't 'evil' as much as he was attempting to explain the deeper reasons for why such 'evil' exists at all in this world. He said that he could be 'psychotic' which isn't necessarily the same....I think it's important to keep in mind that he's looking at much of this from a 'consciousness perspective' (i.e. having compassion for God's creations, 'good and bad'...at least thats my take):2cents:.

For those that are interested, here's a good interview with Deepak on the Today Show about Life After Death.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnL2mku4OCQ

I'm glad many of you have found these uplifting, as did I.:)

.I think it's important to keep in mind that he's looking at much of this from a 'consciousness perspective' (i.e. having compassion for God's creations, 'good and bad'...at least thats my take):2cents:.

That my be, I doubt it, but it may be. However, I don't think people like Hitler, or Irans leader, need compassion.

Almost every instance in the bible, where evil was dealt with by God, it wasn't with compassion, but with swift and deadly consequences.

I am not a basher or a super fan of Chopra. I have much respect for a great deal of his work, independent of when I do not align myself with his views or perspectives. For decades he has been a very respected contributor to matters of emotional and physical health, and spiritual/philosophical matters. His work is voluminous, has been around a long time, and much of it is highly regarded by a wide base of knowledgeable folks in a myriad of professions and widely varying walks of life.

He also has, to me, humbly and admirably avoided seeking or feeding any true popular cultism effect other than relatively typical (for any such writer) over-adoration from a relatively small number of deeply deepak fans.

For anyone looking to "get to know Chopra", you might begin with 'Ageless Body, Timeless Mind – A Quantum Alternative to Growing Old'--but be warned there are concepts included born of Indian culture and Hindu influence. Protect yourself at all costs. :silly:

That my be, I doubt it, but it may be. However, I don't think people like Hitler, or Irans leader, need compassion.

Almost every instance in the bible, where evil was dealt with by God, it wasn't with compassion, but with swift and deadly consequences.

He states very clearly though that if we as humanity are going to overcome these 'evils' we have to begin to look at the 'root cause' of why such evil exists in the first place.

Your looking at it more from a 'punish the wicked' perspective which is fine; but that still doesn't attempt to understand and thus prevent the wicked actions from occurring in the first place. The key is to live in a world where punishment isn't necessary because wickedness is nearly or completely extinct.

In other words, I think he is saying that if lets say Hitler was brought up in a loving environment/society and educated/taught spiritual principles then perhaps he could've turned out to be a much different person. It's a nature v.s. nurture argument I'm sure but it's intriguing nonetheless. Again, I don't think it excuses evil acts at all.....nor do I think that's Chopra's aim. When your dealing with evil you have to stand up for what is right (or stand in the light as Deepak says) most certainly...but anytime you have evil you must rise above it and not succumb to the same methods.

Violence begets violence. An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind. Turn the other cheek. Much of these very much reflect quite directly the teachings of Jesus, Buddha, Ghandi, etc.:2cents:

Also some of this may depend on whether or not you believe in 'original sin'. I for one don't at all as I believe its the world you live in that can affect you one way or the other; though in the end it's your free-will that shapes what type of person you become despite your wonderful/horrible conditions.

I am not a basher or a super fan of Chopra. I have much respect for a great deal of his work, independent of when I do not align myself with his views or perspectives. For decades he has been a very respected contributor to matters of emotional and physical health, and spiritual/philosophical matters. His work is voluminous, has been around a long time, and much of it is highly regarded by a wide base of knowledgeable folks in a myriad of professions and widely varying walks of life.

He also has, to me, humbly and admirably avoided seeking or feeding any true popular cultism effect other than relatively typical (for any such writer) over-adoration from a relatively small number of deeply deepak fans.

For anyone looking to "get to know Chopra", you might begin with 'Ageless Body, Timeless Mind – A Quantum Alternative to Growing Old'--but be warned there are concepts included born of Indian culture and Hindu influence. Protect yourself at all costs. :silly:

Definitely sounds like something I'd like to check out. Hinduism is just as credible as Christianity or Judaism or Buddhism, imho. God works through all teachings to reach us, not just one. Is Ageless Body, Timeless Mind a 'scientific' (ex:quantum science) book or is it more spiritual drawing on religious texts? (or perhaps both)

Your looking at it more from a 'punish the wicked' perspective which is fine; but that still doesn't attempt to understand and thus prevent the wicked actions from occurring in the first place. The key is to live in a world where punishment isn't necessary because wickedness is nearly or completely extinct.

That will never happen. As when Adam and eve sinned in the garden of eden, that brought about mans evil nature and that will never go away until the end of time when God returns for his own.

I do agree, that we should always strive to be better people like he does state, however, thinking that this will change the world, it will not.

There will always be evil, no matter how much man tries to change. That's jus the way it is.

That will never happen. As when Adam and eve sinned in the garden of eden, that brought about mans evil nature and that will never go away until the end of time when God returns for his own.

I do agree, that we should always strive to be better people like he does state, however, thinking that this will change the world, it will not.

There will always be evil, no matter how much man tries to change. That's jus the way it is.

Unless, of course, the whole Adam and Eve story is bunk. ;)

Always is a long long time ya know? ;)

You say that striving to be better people will not change the world; I couldn't disagree more. You change yourself, and you change your world. Would you say that revolutionary souls such as Mother Teresa or Mahatma Ghandi change the world? What about Jesus Christ, Krishna, or Buddha? My point is that we each can affect the world we live in tremendously the more we change ourselves for the better.

Always is a long long time ya know? ;)

You say that striving to be better people will not change the world; I couldn't disagree more. You change yourself, and you change your world. Would you say that revolutionary souls such as Mother Teresa or Mahatma Ghandi change the world? What about Jesus Christ, Krishna, or Buddha? My point is that we each can affect the world we live in tremendously the more we change ourselves for the better.

Likely of changing a few around you who see the difference. The fact is, the large number of people there will always be more who chose a path of not doing good.

The best we can hope for is to run our own lifes with integrity and goodness. changing the world, IMO is a very large pipe dream.

Archived