Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Kiss Barnard Goodbye

Rabblerouser

Bears Release Moore; Agree To Terms With Barnard

LAKE FOREST, IL - The Chicago Bears agreed to terms with undrafted free agent punter Brooks Barnard out of Maryland today and released safety Damon Moore. Terms of Barnard's deal were not disclosed. Barnard, a 6-2, 195 pounder out of Maryland, walked on for the Terrapins in 1999 and averaged 42.1 yards per punt on 42 punts. He culminated his college career earning all-Atlantic Coast Conference honors this past season, averaging 43.1 ypp with a long of 60 and 13 inside the 20. He ranked fourth in the nation in 2000 averaging 44.7 yyp with a long of 85 with eight inside the 20 and ranked seventh in 2001 with an average boot of 44.5 ypp with a long of 59 with 17 inside the 20. Moore played in six games with one start last season for the Bears, joining the active roster on Nov. 1, 2002, after signing with the Bears April 4. He moved from the Reserve/Did Not Report list to the Active/Physically Unable to Perform list on Aug. 30, then to the Reserve/Physically Unable to Perform list Sept. 1. The 5-11, 215 pounder returned to practice Oct. 23.

Just couldn't draft a punter in the 7th could we. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Bush League Bufford

I think they'll invite a ton of guys to camp and have the battle royal.

Yeah, thats what we did last year (several times I believe) for our placekicker, and we know where that got us! Maybe God will have mercy on us this time around. Start prayin'!!!

guys, guys

Calm down a bit, breathe deep, it'll make you feel better.

If having a bad punter is our only problem next year, I'll be a very happy skins fan. Besides, all is not lost. We still have a shot at signing Tupa to punt for us. Nothing ever garunteed that these undrafted free agents will make good NFL punters anyhow.

If our offense plays like they can, and our defense holds up (which I think will) we will be fine. Also, we now have a kicker and a return man, and that's alot better then last year.

So, just calm down for now, wait atleast until FA is completely over before you start griping about a punter.

I kind of figured this was coming. When Cerrato was explaining the Giblet Hamsandwich pick to George and Sonny, he said there were three punters that they were considering for the seventh-round pick along with Giblet. His reasoning was that with thirty picks remaining after the Redskins, there was a better chance that at least one of the punters would go undrafted, so they went with the QB. Then Vinny said, "We lost out on all of the punters." We know one of them was Groom, and you have to figure Barnard was another, so he must have eliminated the Redskins from consideration fairly early.

I hope we can get Tupa at least. Just give me a guy who can kick the damn ball at least 33 yards every single time, and not shank it for a five-yard punt when you're kicking from your own end zone with a three-point lead in the fourth quarter:doh:

I'm quite calm Op-Z. I'm just a little annoyed that although we had one of the worst punting games in the league last year we have not done squat about it. Having just heard Spurrier talking about paying better attention to those little details that make a difference, a few of us were just wondering why this phase of the game has yet to be addressed. Didn't they bring in a few punters prior to the draft? That seems to indicate they are aware of the situation. I know I read they brought Groom in and were apparently trying to sign him after the draft was over. Which means they did want him, but for some strange reason he chose to sign with the Super Bowl Champs instead; seems they must have thought him to be a fair punter as well. But ya know we could have had him in the 7th round but the FO musta been concerned that someone was going to snag ol' Hamdan, the QB that was ranked somewhere in the 300s. :laugh: Guess we better try for Tupa, who had a decent year in 02; of course he is 37 and will be pushing 40 when we make our hoped for Super Bowl push in a couple years. No biggy.:jerkoff: :cheers: Sauerbraun been signed yet?

Nice avatar Mods!:notworthy

Most of my whining on the punter issue is tongue-in-cheek, but I do think some here greatly minimize the importance of a good punter. I know kickers are comedic material in the NFL (and probably deserve it - anyone ever see the Adam Sandler bit they used on NFL Sunday Ticket a few years back?), but they do matter. We lost some games last year, in fact you could argue more than a few, because we gave the ball to our opponents (repeatedly if you recall) inside or near the 50. Thats no minimal concern. Thats a killer. We need somebody solid. I'm not getting hysterical about it. We've made some unbelievable pickups in the offseason, and I give credit where its due. But it is hard to understand why we didn't learn from our kicker debacle of last year (that kickers do matter, and that picking out a good one by rounding up a bunch of NFL Europe rejects and holding a 'mass tryout' isn't necessarily a winning approach). We don't need a monster, just a guy who keeps it between the lines and can put between the goal line and the twenty consistently (preferably the opponent's).

I really don't think losing out on some UDFA punters is too big of a deal.

I would much rather go with someone like Tom Tupa or even *GULP* Bryan Barker, than a 22 year old kid.. Most of these punters get kicked around from team to team until they eventually settle down.

Repeat after me: rookie punters suck.

You think the skins punting sucked last year? wait till you see some rookie back there. its not the end of the world that the skins screwed up and didnt draft one of the punters. They can always pick him up when he gets cut -- and rookie punters always get cut. They bounce around the league a while, going to camp and being brought in midseason, before they finally catch on.

That's a good point, but....

I'd like to at least get the opportunity to be the ones to cut these punters. Right now we have nothing. There has not been a single signing on the punter front, and our punting was atrocious last year.

Maybe they just feel bad because barker broke his nose real bad.....

-DB

Even Madder....our "vet" played like a rookie last season....directly contributing to a loss. rookie kickers have come into the league - at a much lower cost oh btw - and done well. no...this is *hitty front office work all driven by a head up the arse decision to draft a QB who will never take a regular season snap in the NFL. anyone care to bet their salary for the next year that Hamwhateverhisname will never play an entire regular season game? or the following season for that matter? this is the sort of dumb stuff in the lower rounds that has killed this team for years. the stupidity continues unabated - at least consistency has become a hallmark of the personnel department!!!!!

Tupa will not only punt fine....but also gives PK Hall the most comfortable holder he has known.....not to mention Tupa was a QB and an execute a fake punt......plus he'll come for league minimum and also has already stated "it will be an honor to play for the Redskins" we'll ink him after this weekends minicamp and tryouts

I didn't like the GreenEggsandHam pick, either. He wasn't on anyone's radar, he wasn't a need, and there were quality punters still on the board. GreenEggs most likely would have been there after the draft, and if not so what? We need a good punter, not a laboratory experiment. We'll be Ok, I'm sure we'll get somebody, but this could have been so easily settled by now.

Barker had a horrible year last year. But his career averages are very good. He has had up and down years. Last year his average/net was 40/30. His career averages are 42/36. About average for NFL punters. The thing that concerns me is his leg does appear to be getting weaker. The past four years have all been below his career average.

Of course it is difficult to really tell the whole story with punters from stats. I didn't pay much attention to the punting.

But I'd rather go with Barker or another vet at this point. Hopefully the skins don't have to punt much from deep in their own territory.

Archived