Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How much more does ### make over Horton ?

alleycat

Chris Horton 2008 total salary = $331,516

Jason Tayor = 8 million more

Shawn Springs = 4.7 million more

Todd Collins = 3.7 million more

Malcolm Kelly = 1.2 million more

Chad Rienhart = 600k more

I am not making any point.I just found it interesting.

If I was to make any point...It would be WOW...What a great deal we got...Good job Vinny !!

My other point might be WOW !!! We paid Jason Taylor THAT MUCH !!

I am looking foward to him being healthy and earning it,

What other entry-level field can you start off with 331k?

Sure he is getting paid peanuts by the NFL's standards, but the reason why these things aren't brought up by fans much is cause they all make grossly more than we do.

Last I checked even practice squad guys were in the 6 figures.

they all make too much. i think the NFL should cut the salaries of all players by 10 at least.

Oh, good, then those 0.1% of people with that level of athletic ability and focus will go play other sports instead and we can watch less stellar athletes playing our favorite sport.

For every one NFL player, there are 1,000 that tried to be NFL players and failed. In a situation like that where there is extremely unusual talent involved, and only a few ever make it, it's normal that those who do will get huge rewards. It's just basic economics.

Or to put it another way, if you find yourself in a job that only 1,000 people in the world could do, you're going to get PAID.

If you're just doing a job that a million people could fill in and do instead, you're not going to get paid so much.

Players get paid just like we do. Based on what the market conditions create. There is a VERY small number of people who can do what they do, and a large number of people willing to pay to see them do it. Therefore, they make a lot of money.

If you area nuclear engineer, there are few who can do what you do, and your job is very important to many people. You get compensated accordingly.

If you ring up diapers at Wal-Mart, there are many who can do what you can do, as important as your job may be. You are also compensated accordingly, based on the supply of labor available.

Thank God for Adam Smith, and the immutable laws of economics.

If I was to make any point...It would be WOW...What a great deal we got...Good job Vinny !!

Well, let's take a closer look. Horton is a 7th round draft pick so his salary is expected to be among the lowest on the team.

Jason Taylor is a vet that signed a contract stipulating he get's his pay. The reason for that contract is past performance. We are paying him based on his contract signed with Miami.

Springs contract was structured in a way that he was cheap at the beginning but I think the team expected his replacement to be here by now and they would have let Shawn walk. However, it did not work that way, and in the grand scheme, he's not making as much as other top corners on some other teams. Granted, I would like to see the money spent better, but at the start of this contract, it was very good for the team.

Collins was signed in the off-season after a very nice run to the post season. Back up quarterbacks doing this tend to make a nice payday. Did we overpay? Or did we pay what was merited to keep a known quantity?

MK was a 2nd round draft pick, so it does make sense he is getting paid more than a 7th round pick.

Reinhart was a 3rd rounder and as expected would have a slightly higher salary than a 7th round pick.

Not sure what point your trying to make with the "good job Vinny" comment. maybe it's Taylor's salary? But remember that we lost two defensive ends on the same day. Also there were other teams supposedly calling for Taylor's services or so I have heard.

If it's the rookies, well the majority of rookies at skill positions, with the exception of running back, don't have a major impact in their initial season. So if it's the rookies your comment refers to you, I think your premature.

Pretty much proof why it's smart to build teams with the draft.

What other entry-level field can you start off with 331k?

Sure he is getting paid peanuts by the NFL's standards, but the reason why these things aren't brought up by fans much is cause they all make grossly more than we do.

Last I checked even practice squad guys were in the 6 figures.

Still, payscale's always about what your competition makes. That's why salary.com is such a popular web-site. If you were offered an entry level job for $50k where everyone else makes $60k, would you be happy just because the average is around $45k?

Also, practice squad guys definitely don't make six figures...

Not sure what point your trying to make with the "good job Vinny" comment. maybe it's Taylor's salary? services or so I have heard.

Well...I guess I mean...Good Job Vinny.I thought that part was simple.

If it's the rookies, well the majority of rookies at skill positions, with the exception of running back, don't have a major impact in their initial season. So if it's the rookies your comment refers to you, I think your premature.

Ummm, I sorta thought I covered my point...I didn't have one...I found the numbers interesting.

The problem is, then where does all the money made in profits go... To the owners?

pretty simple...cut the cost of things...Having to pay the players less = lower ticket cost, and lower food cost.

Theres no reason anyone shoudl be making millions a year to catch a ****ing ball while we have cops and soldiers getting shot at and killed for 50K a year....that's ridiculous.

pretty simple...cut the cost of things...Having to pay the players less = lower ticket cost, and lower food cost.

Theres no reason anyone shoudl be making millions a year to catch a ****ing ball while we have cops and soldiers getting shot at and killed for 50K a year....that's ridiculous.

Again, no offense to cops and soldiers but a lot of people can easily be trained to do those jobs. That may not sound nice, but it's reality. Millions of people have learned to do those jobs. Millions. Usually after just a few months of training.

Not very many people can do what Santana Moss or Chris Horton or Tom Brady or Greg Jennings do. In fact, the list of people who can do their job is so short, that you've probably heard of virtually all of them.

If more people could do what they do, they wouldn't get paid as much. It's that simple.

Maybe this is a discussion for the tailgate section instead.

Taylor is a major dissappointment and way over paid to be a cheerleader. He should of just sat out 4 games and he would of been healthy, even then it still doesn't mean he would produce. I hope he proves me wrong in the stretch. Evans, on the other hand, very impressed.

Pretty much proof why it's smart to build teams with the draft.

Can we have this stapled to Cerrato and Snyder's heads so they are reminded every day leading up to the draft? Seriously, I think (just maybe) we've finally turned the corner and seen that it's best to stick to the draft and use the FA Market sparingly. (Of course, now that I've said that we'll probably ink Me-Angelo to a deal that expires when he turns 40).

... so he keeps playing extremely like (like how he is now)... shows his worth, eventually signs an agreeable contract worth a (whole) lot more.

whats the big deal here guys, he's a rookie. there's nothing special about this thread other than the original poster just pointing out some facts.

they all make too much. i think the NFL should cut the salaries of all players by 10 at least.
With injury, many players leaving college early, lack of retirement, taxes, and the fact that an average NFL career is very short, this is far less true than you would think. These guys are constantly in danger, and they could be out of a job for the rest of their lives on any given play. On top of that, they're constantly away from their families. I honestly don't think you could pay me enough to do what they do.

He didn't spend it either. Saving it. He knows he may not be here long, but if he keeps playing at a high level... he sure will.
That completely matches the type of player he is. It seems like he's aware of everything that could go wrong, and he accounts for it.

Archived