Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Well, Pitt exposed our weaknesses

dwbiggs

Offensive line and WR. Jansen just got punked and Pitts front 4 alone got sacks. We desperately need some studs at WR...ARE and Thrash just ain't gettin it done. Hopefully we can bolster the line depth in next years draft and get our two supposed gifted rookie recievers on the field and contributing. I watched the Giants/Pitt game and I thought then that both of those teams were a step above us and it played out last night. If we can't score TD's we are no better than a first round and out playoff team...if we even get that far. Pleeeazzzze Devin Thomas...take things serious, quit thuggin around every time you make a decent play, and learn how to play WR.

Exposed is right. They have been getting away with wins against crap teams for a few weeks but it caught up with them last night. Cant play that way against a good team. You get ***** slapped, like they did.

Did any receiver even get open past 10 yards last night?

Campbell was terrible but also had no time to do anything. When he did have time he was panicking and looked like he was doing jumping jacks.

They dont have a #2 or #3 receiver on the team. Doesnt bode well for playoff hopes. This season could unravel very quickly if the line issue isnt addressed.

The D played Well but when they had to hold they were worn out.

In short - they were exposed last night. They beat the Eagles and Arizona, thats about it. The rest of their wins were pretty much against crappy teams.

Umm. Pittsburg runs a 3-4 defense , so it would be very difficult for their "front four" to get all of the sacks. They shift their 4 lb's all over the place, making it difficult to execute practiced blocking schemes. That said, Our o-line did look very mediocre last night. I can't say that I agree with you on the Wr's. If the qb has zero time to read the field, it's hard to make a good throw

Umm. Pittsburg runs a 3-4 defense , so it would be very difficult for their "front four" to get all of the sacks.

I don't care what they were running, they were getting sacks with 4 rushers against our 5 + RB protection...definately unsat.

What's the deal w/ Chad Reinhart? I'm not saying he should start, but he's not even good enough for the active roster?

He's a guard, isn't he? Kendall and Thomas aren't going anywhere. Edit: Nope, he's a tackle. I can't imagine why he doesn't get, at least, a shot at RT.

I guess you could say Pitt exposed the Skins' weakness, but weren't they the very same weakness we all were harping on last season?

yeah, Reinhart is a guard. I thought he was drafted because he was so versatile, but apparently not good enough to backup any OL position? I can't imagine Kendall's knees will last much past this season and as much as I love Randy, he isn't getting any younger.

Teams will now know what to do against us.

First step: Stop our running game.

Second step: Stop our passing game.

Third step: Do well against our defense.

With this formula out, we'll be lucky to win a single game more!!!

LOL...

Hey... we should follow this formula against the teams we play. We might win some.

That's really a complex formula you have there. I think that's just about what every team wants to do every game. Stop the run, stop the pass, and dominate the defense? Yeah, we got beat, so what. THE SEASON IS NOT OVER! The steelers are a good team. Damn, the people on here are some of the most panicky little b%tches I have ever seen. I'm not happy about the loss or the way we played, but it's one game and we just didn't come out on tip last night.

The OP has a point we did expose Zorn's weakness on Offense. Our OL has trouble with speed rushers. Janson was replaced by Heyer because of his lack of pass protection. We had the same issues in game one vs the Giants. If you pressure and sack JC that many times with your front 3/4 then you play a modified cloud zone, it allows the Skins to get the quick hits but nothing more. You saw that several times last night. Moss/ARE and Cooley caught the ball and were swarmed. No open field to create = dead WCO.

How do you combat that?

Well you go deep. Moss was open on that double move early(the one JC under threw). Yet we never went back to it. Devin Thomas may not know the offense but he can go deep, and with his size and speed we need to test it more often. ARE is a slot receiver. Moss is the catch all. Devin should be stetching the field. The middle is Cooleys and the dump is Portis/Betts. It's basic football. You noticed Pitt did just that. Because of the deep threat they took LL out of the game. It opened up the run and the dump off. Zorn has to reach deeper in the play book. Keep teams guessing like the first few weeks. Teams are noticing a patern to his play calling. JC called a timeout twice to save his butt because no one accounted for the blitzing safety. Simple scouting. Pitt saw the Skins in the same formation against Detriot. JC side step the blitz and threw a TD to Moss. This time they were ready and JC knew it, so he burned a timeout. Zorn went to it again, and again it hurt us with a sack.

Exposed? or just learning the position? Zorn was out coached and the Skins were out played.

The Giants exposed Pitt's weaknesses last week, but we chose not to follow the same formula.

As much as Pitt exposed our weaknesses, we chose to play to our weaknesses. 13 Runs from Portis? 15 runs overall? 43 Passes? When has this EVER worked for this football team?

We played right into the hands of an aggressive pass rush, so we allowed ourselves to be exploited. However I am extremely hopeful, because Jim Zorn is a quick study, and I believe this team will be prepared to go down the stretch after our bye-week.

Sadly it wasn't just Jansen. Thomas got blown up on one sack, and not even by Hampton. The line were beat in 1-v-1 situations, and they did not handle the zone blitz overload situations at all. I think their D did an excellent job of calling their blitzes based on the formation we showed - empty backfield -> off the edges, Portis stays in -> zone blitz opposite him.

I would not raise the alarm just yet. The Steelers probably run this style better than anyone in the NFL and we just got one heck of a lesson. Remember, they completely shut down the 2005 Colts (14-2) and embarrassed their o-line with this gameplan in the div playoff round. I hope we learn from this quick, b/c Baltimore is also equipped to run this style.

Sadly it wasn't just Jansen. Thomas got blown up on one sack, and not even by Hampton. The line were beat in 1-v-1 situations, and they did not handle the zone blitz overload situations at all. I think their D did an excellent job of calling their blitzes based on the formation we showed - empty backfield -> off the edges, Portis stays in -> zone blitz opposite him.

I would not raise the alarm just yet. The Steelers probably run this style better than anyone in the NFL and we just got one heck of a lesson. Remember, they completely shut down the 2005 Colts (14-2) and embarrassed their o-line with this gameplan in the div playoff round. I hope we learn from this quick, b/c Baltimore is also equipped to run this style.

Yep the whole OL played terrible last night. Samuels was just as bad as Jansen was getting beat last night, and when he wasn't getting beat he was holding someone.

The OL didn't earn their paychecks last night

ok so the OL sucked balls, but also JC needs to know when the throw the damn ball away. There were a couple sacks which he was flushed out of the pocket, and instead of throwing it away, he just ran around like a chicken with his head cut off and cost us yards.

The dropped INT by Rogers was a huge swing, along with the blocked punt and it's a whole different ball game.

We can afford this loss even though it sucks, we need to except the fact we are still learning a system that takes time. We are out of the crawling stage and into the walking, and that isnt enough to beat a #1 ranked defense.

We will take that next step from walking to running, but its going to take time, and the fact is we will get there. When we do, then we will be able to run with anybody in this league. Just be patient, our time is coming!

Teams will now know what to do against us.

First step: Stop our running game.

Second step: Stop our passing game.

Third step: Do well against our defense.

With this formula out, we'll be lucky to win a single game more!!!

HAHAHAHAA

Yeah, i dont know much about being exposed last night. We rely on the run, our pass pro isnt consistently awesome, and struggle in the Red Zone. None of that was really secret.

Archived