Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why We Shouldn't Worry About the Steelers Game

return2glory

Personally, I am not worried about the Steelers game on Monday night. In fact, I was more worried going into each of our last three games than I am about the Steelers game. We are a very good team. However, we are a team with a rookie head coach that is still learning a new system. The Redskins have tremendous talent and that sometimes hides our growing pains, but they are still there. The Skins have been producing, but little miscues have forced fieldgoals instead of touchdowns. The good news is that we aren't far from converting. The team is getting better each week whether we see it or not. Each week the Redskins will feel more comfortable in their new system. The more comfortable the players feel, the less they have to think about before a play and they can just go out onto the field and play.

There is one dangerous attribute of this team thus far and that is they play to the level of their opponent. This doesn't mean that they overlook anyone, it just means that they don't have the focus against lesser opponents. This is why they should have no problem rising to the occasion Monday night. This should help us get to 7-2 before the bye and by no means am I worried. This is a problem that is occuring because of the new system and each week will be improved. The second that we start putting teams away, is the moment that we will all witness "the skins have arrived moment" and they will have become a great team. Lets hope it comes this Monday night.

I heard this on sports radio yesterday, and want to know what you guys think. Is this something to be worried about.

Coach Zorn said that he went into the locker room on Monday and cellibrated with "Victory Monday". Said he got very little response. Then went with "Here's to 6and 2". Again, very little response. He said there was very little energy in the room.

I don't know how to take this. Is all the fire gone from the players, or are they upset with themselves at the lack of production on the O? Thoughts?

I'm not really nervous about this game because this is one of those luxury games in my mind. Of course you want to win every game but games against elite AFC opposition are one of those "nice to have" games. It isn't absolutely critical that we win this game since we're 6-2 and have some margin of error, especially considering our injuries. A win would be huge but a loss wouldn't be devastating.

I heard this on sports radio yesterday, and want to know what you guys think. Is this something to be worried about.

Coach Zorn said that he went into the locker room on Monday and cellibrated with "Victory Monday". Said he got very little response. Then went with "Here's to 6and 2". Again, very little response. He said there was very little energy in the room.

I don't know how to take this. Is all the fire gone from the players, or are they upset with themselves at the lack of production on the O? Thoughts?

i wouldnt read too much into this to be honest. These guys are tired, theyve got 8 days to get it all together for the steelers. Coming home, monday night, national TV, off of a road win. SECOND in the division, and playing some good football, they'll be AMPED. They are probably just a little upset with themselves that they didnt destroy Detroit on the scoreboard and it's keeping them Humble. They know they're good, we know they're good... they also know they CAN be GREAT, and we as fans do as well.

The fact that we hav played 13 games in a row w/o a break might have alot to do with that. Everybdy is looking 4ward to the 14th straight game and then the bye week. My only concern is that they dont overlook the game and look forward more to the bye.

Well said, R2G. I am feeling good about Monday Night also. Usually, I dread them because of the Redskins record on Monday Night games but the Moss game in Dallas put that to bed for me for a while.

I think this team is going to be amped up. I mean, it's actually a good thing. We play a strong opponent on the national stage going into the bye. No chance of looking forward to a week off, I feel the focus is there this week. If we played Pittsburgh last week and Detroit this week...good chance we lose that Detroit game going into the bye.

I totally agree that we play up/down to the team we're playing. Look at our scores, no huge wins or loses. We can outplay teams in terms of yardage and time of possession, but we win by the skin of our teeth. Hopefully, things will get clicking after the bye and we can have some wins by 14+ points. My only worry would be an injury to Portis or Moss (HEAVEN FORBID!!!). My prediction for the Steelers.... 24-17 Skins

HTTR!!!!

I think we are good but not near dominant. We could easily have lost the close games that we've won. But nonetheless we did win close games. We did close games at the end and we have beaten other good teams. My main thing for Monday night is to win of course but a close second is to stay relatively healthy so the bye week is a chance to really heal up and not where we have to wait and see who will be ready for the Dallas game.

Kind of odd. The team probably felth they should have killed the Lions based on things I've read and heard from players.

I don't doubt they get fired up for this Monday on a big stage, at home, and getting ready to go into the bye week.

I agree that the Skins play to the level of their oppenents, but that doesn't mean that I'm not nervous about this week.

Thank you. Someone needed to say it.

I am confident we will play a good game because we do tend to get up for tough competition. That however does not make this game suddenly a cake walk.

If we dont play our best game, we get humiliated. If we come out and play up to our potential for the big game, its a dog fight and I like our chances of coming out on top, its not a gimme though, thats for certain!

Thank you. Someone needed to say it.

I am confident we will play a good game because we do tend to get up for tough competition. That however does not make this game suddenly a cake walk.

If we dont play our best game, we get humiliated. If we come out and play up to our potential for the big game, its a dog fight and I like our chances of coming out on top, its not a gimme though, thats for certain!

Agree 100%! Plus I'll go out on a limb and say this. Unless we knock Big Ben down(not sacks, but hurries and knockdowns) at least a dozen times we will not win this game. An overlooked fact for all the people who say pressure on the QB doesn't matter. The Steelers are 5-0 when Big Ben stays upright(average -2 sacks per game). In their two losses, to the Giants and Eagles, this season he has been sacked 14 times and knockdown over 20. In other words, when Big Ben has time, he finds open WRs, no matter who the DBs are. When he has pressure in his face he throws INTs.:2cents:

I'm worried about getting pressure on Big Ben ... so far we only have 10 sacks. Not sure about pressures.

That being said, I actually think the skins focus this week more then they have the last three weeks. They have seen the Iggles and the G-Men beat these guys and I'm sure that is extra motivation.

Also, the Steelers have the #2 Pass Def and the #3 Run defense, I think JC, CP and the Dirtbags are chomping at the bits to get a crack at that ...

This is big, but like the OP I like our chances, more so then the last three weeks. We did it to the Pukes and the Iggles in their freaking house, that has to give you confidence.

yea, well...all I heard about last monday night was how the Titans had he best Run D in the league, yet, Dominic Rhodes didnt have a problem barreling through.

I really believe if we stick to focusing on Portis getting a hundred yards, then our chances of winning, skyrocket!

Defensively, our blitzes have not been productive, BUT, the Steelers line is brutal...this may be a game for some corner blitzing....we do have good cover safeties (if Horton plays)

go skins!!!!!

marco

Agree. Posted this the other day...

Not going to try and predict the score, but Im sure you'll see typical Redskins football. You can bet, win or lose, it will be a close game. We always get up for tough games and lay back for the games we should walk away with. This will be one of those tough games, and we will show up. I hope we pull it off.

But Im not scared of their offense. I think we'll be stingy on defense, as usual. But their defense is pretty damn good, too. Im expecting 31-38 points or so combined.

this game does hurt us less though in the playoff hunt ... I know every game counts, but I'd rather take the NFC and divisions games over AFC opponents.

Still hope we work them, because i have a few friendly wagers on this game with some Steelers friends, just say'n, big picture wise ... Dallas, NY and Philly are more important to our post-season chances.

Still, we could sure as heck use this win going into the bye week before facing Dallass.

I'm a little worried about our D vs. their O. The Giants and Eagles were able to get to Big Ben and disrupt the passing game. We are notorious for not getting sacks. Big Ben is a guy that can kill you if given the time and they have to very fast WRs in Santonio Holmes and Fabian Washington (and reliable guys like Hines Ward and Heather Miller). I am confident that we can we but I see the key to the game being how well we get after Big Ben. :2cents:

I'm a little worried about our D vs. their O. The Giants and Eagles were able to get to Big Ben and disrupt the passing game. We are notorious for not getting sacks. Big Ben is a guy that can kill you if given the time and they have to very fast WRs in Santonio Holmes and Fabian Washington (and reliable guys like Hines Ward and Heather Miller). I am confident that we can we but I see the key to the game being how well we get after Big Ben. :2cents:

nate washington

sorry i usually try to avoid correcting people but i read that and was like :wtf: haha

Just listening to the players they are happy about being 6-2 make no mistake about it!!!. I think they are not satisfield with their total effort . They know they are a good team but if you listen to them they said they have a lot of room for improvement they are not just satisfield with being 6-2.

Archived