Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PostGameHeroes: A closer look at LT Stephon Heyer

PostGameHeroes

I can't tell you how many times I've said to myself "Man, Heyer just might be too damn tall"... is he that much taller than the rest of our Olineman or is it just consistent poor technique?

He is listed to be as tall as Jon Jansen and maybe an inch taller than Samules. Heyer is listed at 6'6, what is really frustrating is the fact that he has all the physical talent to be a really good LT or RT. He has really long arms and pretty good feet when he uses proper technique, hopefully we just saw some rust from lack of practice/gametime experience.

He is listed to be as tall as Jon Jansen and maybe an inch taller than Samules. Heyer is listed at 6'6, what is really frustrating is the fact that he has all the physical talent to be a really good LT or RT. He has really long arms and pretty good feet when he uses proper technique, hopefully we just saw some rust from lack of practice/gametime experience.

Well, sort of. He's certainly got the arms but his footspeed is really below average from what I've seen of him. I'm still not sold that the's a starting caliber player at RT even.

Heyer is certainly good enough to be high quality depth though which is still a steal considering he was undrafted. I still think our long-term answer at RT is Rhinehart. However, I suspect we may be keeping him at LG in the hope that he can eventually move over and replace Samuels.

Perhaps he's struggling because he's lined up on the left instead of the right. I don't know how much difference that makes. But hopefully he goes back to his old self quick and Chris comes back healthy quick.

That line played pretty bad in Detroit but we still pulled out a win....no likely to happen against the Steelers. Buges got that covered though I'm sure

Look guys..Heyer had a bad game but he found out he was starting at LT an hr before the game.

Put CS on RT and he won't play as well as he plays every week on the left side...Trust me.

Heyer is much better on the right side. Not left or right he still needs better technique - Standing too tall on the O line is a huge NO NO

Excellent breakdown... I hope this tempers some of the Jansen critics. While I realize that Heyer was not playing his natural position... I can give a pass... but he looked real rusty out there and seemed to lose some of the basics. Top off all this against the Lions "killer" pass rush to boot.

I like the crossed out line the best in that article. That was "laugh out loud" funny!

Archived