Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ted Stevens found guilty in corruption trial (all 7 charges)

Cooked Crack

Part that gets to me is that the stuff he got caught over was such picky stuff. A BBQ grill?

My assumption is that the guy's got to have made millions. This feels like convicting Capone for tax evasion.

(But then, every time I see stories about congressional corruption, I'm always struck by how cheap our government is for sale.)

If he wins reelection, he won't serve since he will be in jail. Don't be shocked to see Sarah Palin fill that seat, as she uses it as a springboard for a future presidential run.

Uh, can a Governor appoint himself to the Senate? And, IIR, she'd still have to win a special election.

(Not saying that she's not thinking longingly about it. Just not sure you can get there from here.)

Stevens, 84, now faces a question over whether he will resign, and if he does not, whether he can win reelection Nov. 4 in an already tough race.

Whoa...whoa...whoa..... why is this even a ****ing option? WTF kind of **** government and policies do we have? THE GOD DAMN MAN JUST GOT CONVICTED OF A FELONY YOU ****S!!

Ban the man from politics for good. Lifetime ban.

More 'r's than d's

# 1 Senators

* 1.1 Sen. Bob Menendez (D-New Jersey)

* 1.2 Sen. Ted Stevens (R-Alaska)

# 2 Representatives

* 2.1 Rep. John Doolittle (R-California) - Retiring

* 2.2 Rep. Tom Feeney (R-Florida)

* 2.3 Rep. Bob Filner (D-California)

* 2.4 Rep. Jane Harman (D-California)

* 2.5 Rep. William Jefferson (D-Louisiana) - Indicted

* 2.6 Rep. Jerry Lewis (R-California)

* 2.7 Rep. Gary Miller (R-California)

* 2.8 Rep. Alan Mollohan (D-West Virginia)

* 2.9 Rep. Tim Murphy (R-Pennsylvania)

* 2.10 Rep. Rick Renzi (R-Arizona) - Indicted and Retiring

* 2.11 Rep. Don Young (R-Alaska)

Uh, can a Governor appoint himself to the Senate? And, IIR, she'd still have to win a special election.

(Not saying that she's not thinking longingly about it. Just not sure you can get there from here.)

Don't you mean herself in this case. Each state is different. Some you can just appoint to fill out the term. Others you appoint but there's a special election during the next election cycle. Some you have to have a special election to fill the seat.

I don't know if she could appoint herself. If she wants higher office, then she has to get to national stage and that means become senator.

Don't you mean herself in this case. Each state is different. Some you can just appoint to fill out the term. Others you appoint but there's a special election during the next election cycle. Some you have to have a special election to fill the seat.

I don't know if she could appoint herself. If she wants higher office, then she has to get to national stage and that means become senator.

I'd thought that Governors filled vacancies, but then I was shown to be wrong.

After further checking, it seems that I was (originally) right about the Senate (sometimes), just wrong about the House.

Thanks for pointing that out.

(Although as a practical matter, only way I can see that happening is if he gets re-elected, then resigns and/or the Senate refuses to seat him.)

I also, in threads like this, often find myself remembering a line from a book.

(The author was Donald Westlake, who writes comedy crime stories. But I don't remember the title.)

The main character in the story is "The Top Cop in the City of New York". He's the guy who holds the job (whatever it is) that's as high as a cop can get in NYPD without being politically appointed. He's working a major case with an FBI agent.

About halfway through the book, he's on his way home, and observes that he's being followed down the country road leading to his suburban house. After a mile or two the pursuing car accelerates and pulls up behind him. They come around the corner and see a roadblock. He's forced off the road into a pulloff, where a lot of people with ski masks and machine guns wait in ambush.

One person approaches his car. Waits for him to roll down the window. Tells him to leave the case alone, or else. Tosses an envelope into the car, then everybody gets into cars and drives off.

He checks. The envelope contains $100K in cash. He puts the car in gear, and goes home. He doesn't mention a thing to his wife (doesn't want to worry her), but he phones the FBI guy. He describes the ambush to the FBI guy, and tells him about the cash.

"And you didn't take the cash?"

The cop explains that one reason he's calling the FBI is to let him know that he may experience a similar treatment. And he wants to have it on record. He doesn't feel like driving all the way back to HQ, turning in the cash, and then spending the rest of the night filling out paperwork. He'll do it in the morning.

However, if something should happen to him (say, if he should get killed tonight by men in ski masks), he doesn't want his wife being grilled about why her husband, the cop, has $100K in cash in the glove box of his car.

He reflects, as he hangs up the phone, that he just doesn't get what the FBI is teaching these college kids they get nowdays. "You didn't keep the money?" These guys may be smart. They may all have degrees, and training in laser spectroscopy and deviant psychology and fingerprint analysis and all that stuff. But they sure do seem to be lacking in the kind of experience that comes from actually being an actual cop on an actual street. The very idea. "You didn't keep the money"? Kids these days.

You don't get to be the Top Cop in the City of New York by taking bribes from strangers

I think Palin wants Stevens senate job. If she can't appoint herself then she can resign and have her Lt Gov appoint her to Senate. She can't say don't vote for Stevens.

Of course, he could still get reelected, especially if he convinces the electorate that the prosecution against him was biased.

Our Democratic Party disgrace Rep. William Jefferson has managed to do it. :doh:

stevens%20pic.jpg

Denial is not just a river in Egypt.

Sen. Stevens: I'm innocent and not convicted

Despite his felony conviction this week for filing false U.S. Senate financial disclosure forms, Republican Sen. Ted Stevens of Alaska insisted he was innocent and vowed not to step down.

"I have not been convicted of anything," he maintained during a Thursday night debate in Anchorage, only days before Tuesday's election.

The debate, sponsored by Alaska Public Television, pitted Stevens, who is seeking re-election, against his opponent, Democratic Anchorage Mayor Mark Begich, in a tight race.

"I'm not going to step down. I have not been convicted. I have a case pending against me, and probably the worse case of prosecutorial ... misconduct by the prosecutors that is known," Stevens said.

"I think you will find out, I will succeed and I'll be found innocent."

Stevens, who has been in the Senate since 1968, is seeking a seventh full term. He is the longest-serving Republican in that body.

"The case is still pending on the basis of motions we filed for a new trial or a dismissal of the case because of prosecutorial misconduct," he said when asked about calls for his resignation from some key Republicans.

They include GOP presidential nominee John McCain and his running mate, Gov. Sarah Palin of Alaska, and Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell of Kentucky.

"I would tell them [McCain and Palin] I understand that they make statements during the heat of a campaign, and probably they've been a little misinformed by their staff.

"But I wouldn't hold it against them. I understand what they are doing. They are trying to get elected," Stevens, 84, told the panel of journalists before a live audience.

Asked if he were accusing his Republican critics of just saying what's convenient to win elections, Stevens said, "I think to a great extent they are."

When asked if he still can be effective, he replied, "I think I'll be effective. Effectiveness is a matter of experience."

A federal jury in the District of Columbia on Monday found Stevens guilty of seven counts of failing to report about $250,000 in gifts and renovations to his home in Girdwood, Alaska, between 1999 and 2006, mostly paid for by the senator's friend, Bill Allen, chief executive of the oil-services company Veco Corp. The company has since been sold.

Senators are required to fill out forms each year stating what gifts they and their families have received -- over a certain amount -- and from whom.

Stevens predicted that his fellow senators would not expel him, which would take a two-thirds majority.

Sorry Ted, but the jury returned 7 guilty verdicts...that means that yes you HAVE been convicted.

Whoa...whoa...whoa..... why is this even a ****ing option? WTF kind of **** government and policies do we have? THE GOD DAMN MAN JUST GOT CONVICTED OF A FELONY YOU ****S!!

Ban the man from politics for good. Lifetime ban.

So let me get this straight. A convicted felon cannot vote but can run for Senate..well we know he wont be voting for himself LOL

Archived