Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

watching CNN last night..

BigMike619

and they were talking about "racially sensitive terms". Of course I stopped what I was doing and paid attention because it is something that I am always interested in learning and NO WAY could that be a political topic. They were talking about how black people dont like to be called "boy" or "girl" and I got that and have always known that. But then they were talking about how in certain areas of the US some white people would look at black people and not know that it was offensive.

But then they said something that made me **** my head to the side. They said that when Palin was speaking about "soccer moms" what she was really saying was "white suburban people". Now that never even crossed my mind and when the 2 black men on the panel said it I ****ed my head and was shocked. But then I got to thinking, does anyone on here think thats what she meant too? I trust everyone on here will be honest and upfront.

Does anyone think that Palin was speaking to white suburban women when she said that? I personally dont but then again as a white guy I might just be "used to" it and not see something is up.

I don't think any man likes to be called boy.

As far as the soccer mom labeling goes, I don't believe that Palin means it in a racial way. But I can see how an over-sensitive person grasping at straws could take it that way.

now if I say "youre my boy" does that mean a bad thing? i have been saying that ever since i could remember. I get that if I said "listen BOY" that is one thing but "thats my boy over there" isnt bad, is it?

and TJ, come on dude. you gotta have something better to add then that, right?

now if I say "youre my boy" does that mean a bad thing? i have been saying that ever since i could remember. I get that if I said "listen BOY" that is one thing but "thats my boy over there" isnt bad, is it?

Sorry. I forgot the ;) again.

It's a ridiculous claim for someone to make.

If you want blatant race baiting, check out CNN the next time one of the analysts say "he's going after the older, white voters" or "he's going for the young, black vote".

The media is playing up the race thing more than what it really is.

You've got it right.

Unless the one you refer to by saying "that's my boy over there" is cutting your grass.

Sorry. I forgot the ;) again.

It's a ridiculous claim for someone to make.

If you want blatant race baiting, check out CNN the next time one of the analysts say "he's going after the older, white voters" or "he's going for the young, black vote".

The media is playing up the race thing more than what it really is.

just shocked the crap out of me. i thought "man, i must be getting old because i didnt even know that term"

and i noticed that too after watching it for a while. :cheers:

just shocked the crap out of me. i thought "man, i must be getting old because i didnt even know that term"

and i noticed that too after watching it for a while. :cheers:

Palin is not a racist. McCain is not a racist.

SOME of their supporters are definitely racists and they seem to think the whole Ayers argument makes it okay for them to show they are racist at rallies.:doh:

Sounds like you are really stretching for political correctness with you supposedly being from hyattsville.

I am a white guy that went to Largo high school.

This thread is all political correctness bs, and not what happens in real world on the ground.

White guys even today that roll with the black crowd consistently use the N word and there is no negative connotation with their black friends.

White guys not in with the crowd aren't allowed to use it.

Once they graduate neither group gets to use it.

Trying to group the term boy into words you can't use is political panty wearing. As is the implication towards Palin in this thread.

Sounds like you are really stretching for political correctness with you supposedly being from hyattsville.

I am a white guy that went to Largo high school.

This thread is all political correctness bs, and not what happens in real world on the ground.

White guys even today that roll with the black crowd consistently use the N word and there is no negative connotation with their black friends.

White guys not in with the crowd aren't allowed to use it.

Once they graduate neither group gets to use it.

Trying to group the term boy into words you can't use is political panty wearing. As is the implication towards Palin in this thread.

know what, after re-reading what you wrote I can only say that you are of no use to this thread. And I guarantee you dont say "n-word" to a black person unless you are black yourself.

know what, after re-reading what you wrote I can only say that you are of no use to this thread. And I guarantee you dont say "n-word" to a black person unless you are black yourself.

I was referring to when they are in high school.

If you went to high school in PG County you would understand what I am referring too.

Thats why I said "after graduation". Thats when rules apply.

I was referring to when they are in high school.

If you went to high school in PG County you would understand what I am referring too.

Thats why I said "after graduation". Thats when rules apply.

I went to High Point and I know that white boys dont EVER say "n-word" even if they are cool with the group they are hanging out with. I graduated in 91 and that was the way it was.

I went to High Point and I know that white boys dont EVER say "n-word" even if they are cool with the group they are

hanging out with. I graduated in 91 and that was the way it was.

Well you must not have hung with the black guys. Granted, I have been out of high school a long time, but it was true when I was in high school, and I see it today in the malls. Young white guys hanging with the black guys saying the N word in the friendly way the black guys use it amongst themselves.

this is from AC's blog page about it all

http://andersoncooper360review.blogspot.com/

The Bradley effect is discussed among our panel and this turns into a discussion about code words, which I totally agree are used (full disclosure: I'm white). Joe doesn't really seem to give an opinion about code words, but Roland and Soledad strongly agree they're used. Tom, on the other hand, kinda argues that a lot of white people don't know about code words and some of the words could mean things other than a racial context. I can buy that, but he's coming off more dismissive of the use of code words than maybe he means to be. Roland and Soledad both admit that minorities are probably sensitive to certain words and Roland likens it to a white person noticing he's the only white person in a room, but not noticing everyone in a room is white.

That's an interesting point. I would most likely notice if I was the only white person in a room, but that being said, I would also probably notice, and have noticed on previous occasions, an absence of black people. I think it depends on where you grew up and where you currently live. But anyway, Soledad's story about her friend rejecting the school because the official referred to her and her daughter as "girls" was also interesting because I'm not sure I would have picked up on that as a code word. Obviously saying "ladies" would have been the better choice, but I kinda doubt the woman meant anything racial. Finally, the last thing I wanted to talk about was Reverend Wright. Why does 360 keep bringing him up? The story is over. Let it go. The average voter doesn't care.

Well you must not have hung with the black guys. Granted, I have been out of high school a long time, but it was true when I was in high school, and I see it today in the malls. Young white guys hanging with the black guys saying the N word in the friendly way the black guys use it amongst themselves.

yeah thats it, i didnt hang out with black guys. have you even been to hyattsville?

When Palin refers to 'hockey moms' I try and imagine what that would've meant to her, maybe as Mayor of Wasilla, AK. In the year 2,000 the population was 5,469. Of those 5,469, which were 85.4% white and 0.59% black. From that population, there were 1,979 households, 43.5% of those had children under 18. So let's do the math.

1,979 * 0.435= 861 households with kids total, each one having a Mom

861 * 0.854= 735 white Moms

861 * 0.0059= 5 black Moms

Let's assume that 1 out of 5 Mom's is a "hockey mom". I don't know if that's realistic or not.

1/5= 20%

Potential hockey Moms:

735 * 0.2= 147 white hockey Moms

5 * 0.2= 1 black hockey Mom

Maybe the percentage of mom's who are hockey moms is bigger. Let's assume 50%.

735 * 0.5= 367.5 white hockey moms

5 * 0.5= 2.5 black hockey moms

Either way, picture the championship hockey match in Wasilla. There are 147 white hockey moms for every black hockey mom.

So in conclusion, when she says 'hockey mom' I picture a caucasian female with an SUV/minivan and a very warm coat. Though I'm sure there are exceptions. :)

yeah thats it, i didnt hang out with black guys. have you even been to hyattsville?

Of course I have been to hyattsville. I grew up in PG County. I went to Largo, my wife went to Parkdale, my boys lived in Bladensburg. Back in the day, I used to go to house partys in places in PG county where most white people on this board would be afraid to go to. I've gone to rap concerts and go go concerts where me and my girl were one of the few white couples in an arena holding 10-15K+.

When Palin refers to 'hockey moms' I try and imagine what that would've meant to her, maybe as Mayor of Wasilla, AK. In the year 2,000 the population was 5,469. Of those 5,469, which were 85.4% white and 0.59% black. From that population, there were 1,979 households, 43.5% of those had children under 18. So let's do the math.

1,979 * 0.435= 861 households with kids total, each one having a Mom

861 * 0.854= 735 white Moms

861 * 0.0059= 5 black Moms

Let's assume that 1 out of 5 Mom's is a "hockey mom". I don't know if that's realistic or not.

1/5= 20%

Potential hockey Moms:

735 * 0.2= 147 white hockey Moms

5 * 0.2= 1 black hockey Mom

Maybe the percentage of mom's who are hockey moms is bigger. Let's assume 50%.

735 * 0.5= 367.5 white hockey moms

5 * 0.5= 2.5 black hockey moms

Either way, picture the championship hockey match in Wasilla. There are 147 white hockey moms for every black hockey mom.

So in conclusion, when she says 'hockey mom' I picture a caucasian female with an SUV/minivan and a very warm coat. Though I'm sure there are exceptions. :)

thats not the question though. I was asking do you think thats what she means when she says it. is she using "code words" or is it just being blown up that way?

Of course I have been to hyattsville. I grew up in PG County. I went to Largo, my wife went to Parkdale, my boys lived in Bladensburg. Back in the day, I used to go to house partys in places in PG county where most white people on this board would be afraid to go to. I've gone to rap concerts and go go concerts where me and my girl were one of the few white couples in an arena holding 10-15K+.

im done with you super gangster. you have proven you are beyond thuggish and can do anything that tupac and biggie combined can do. congrats on your street cred dude. you should be proud that you have used it on an internet message board. :cheers:

Archived