Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Up-converted movies

Buford T. Justice

Who's the #1 Fantasy Sports Girl ?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Who's the #1 Fantasy Sports Girl ?

• Katie
    • Lorraine
    • Annie
    • Holly
    • Rachael
    • Casey
    • Jackie
    • Jessi
    • Jess
    • Kristen
    • Line
    • Write-In Candidate

Last night I was watching Top Gun on my HD tv using my standard defintiion DVD player. I thought it looked great. I wondered how it would look if I had a up converting DVD player or a Blu-ray version of the movie (and appropriate player). How can they make it look better if the movie was not filmed using high definition cameras?

Does anyone have an older movie they own on dvd that they also own on Blu-ray? Does it look better, worse, or the same?

Top Gun, like every movie before the widespread use of digital cameras in the early 2000s was filmed with standard analog film, which actually has a resolution even better than 1080p, although its analog you don't start to notice artifacts until it gets to really high resolution (something like 4000 horizonta lines). I'll see if I can find a link.

Edit: This guy seems to think that 35mm film, which was widely used in the film industry from 1900 on, has an effective (digital) resolution of around 3000x2000 http://pic.templetons.com/brad/photo/pixels.html

Upconvert really doesn't do much, takes the info thats there and divides it into more lines. If it looks better its more likely the from the video processor in the DVD being better.

If the movie was remastered and put on Blu-Ray you would see a big difference. The larger the TV the more stark the difference.

Archived