Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Durant Brooks

brettstr

He is probably married to his high school sweetheart living in a trailer park and watching tape of that cardinals game over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.......

That, and the fact he wasn't injured. The team reported his MRI's were negative. Somebody was trying to make an excuse. IDK exactly what the NFL criteria is for IR, but it probably involves some type of verifiable injury.

If he wasn't injured, they could've just cut him with no compensation. And if they gave him an injury settlement out of it, at least he got some money. I'm betting his settlement was probably more than most of us will pull in this year too.

If he wasn't injured, they could've just cut him with no compensation. And if they gave him an injury settlement out of it, at least he got some money. I'm betting his settlement was probably more than most of us will pull in this year too.

It was either Vinny covering his ass for a terrible pick, or charity for a young man they liked on a personal basis. From the very first game, his kicking was horrible. The "injury" wasn't mentioned until the team was backed against the wall and had no choice but to cut him week 6. MRI's can pick up a single busted capillary. They found nothing. As per the team.

Maybe they wanted to IR him, and simply couldn't find anything the NFL would buy. I hope the kid can stick with it, improve his game and get another shot. Here or elsewhere. At least the settlement should keep him from having to flip burgers for a while.

I agree with that.

But I also have the feeling our troubles at punter might not be over.

We weren't in a great situation there to begin with (Frost). The position of kicker is kind of unique on the team. There is no backup. If you want to upgrade, make damn sure the new guy is better before you dump the old one. I think we've done that with releasing Brooks, even though I really don't know what Placman has to offer. Brooks was that bad.

And don't assume college performance will translate over with kickers, Vinny.

After his performance with the Redskins, it's a safe bet that he won't be picked up by any other team or at least not signed on for a long term contract. Odds are in favor he could be around this next offseason and the Skins may just invite him back to try out again.

I still think he's going to have a long career in the NFL just not with us.
Why? The guy sucked ass since week 1.
He was the best punter in college for 2 years. Sure, he stunk for a couple of weeks here, but you don't become the best college punter in the nation without talent. Maybe it was the injury, maybe it was the transition to the pros...who knows. But you can't deny the fact that the talent is there somewhere.

I just don't see what harm there was in stashing him on IR even if its just to guard against the small chance that he blossoms with another team.

Key word, college.......Punting in the freaking ACC against sub-par talent on most of the games is a lot different that punting with 6'4" plus guys running at you in the NFL, all better than the majority of players you played against in college.

I think youre thinking of Frost?
Why in the blue hell would you want Frost back, jesus. We have/had ****ty punters and we have a ****ty place kicker too.

Why in the blue hell would you want Frost back, jesus. We have/had ****ty punters and we have a ****ty place kicker too.

I never said I wanted Frost back. I was replying to a post that said mentioned Brooks coming back next year if he wasnt still mad at Vinny. I was not aware of Brooks and Vinny at odds with each other. But I know Frost wasnt happy with Vinny when he left, thats why I said I think he had the two punters confused.

:rotflmao:

Punters on the practice squad and stashed on IR.

THIS punter.

:rotflmao:

Ah, the life of a message board junkie.

Makes me laugh

Why is that so far fetched? Practice Squad no, but IR, yes. JG was a master at hiding talent (See Rypien, Mark for 2 yrs) on IR so they can develop. Brooks was a draft pick and the highest rated punter coming out of college. He sucked, but what would be the harm in bringing him back in TC next year?

The punter seems to be the most "Underated" player on this website for some reason. Did anyone watch the last 2 games. Against the Rams, Brooks shanked punts and cost us points and field position. The Rams punter constantly got them out of bad field position. Same with Plackemier and the Browns punter Zastidil. Zas was able to punt them out of their own endzone and we started drives in our territory. Plack punted and they started in our territory.

If Brooks can get his head together next year and punt the way he did in college, we will have a weapon on special teams to turn the field position around. He may or may not recover, but there's no harm in bringing him back for a 2nd chance.

Archived