Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do you give a **** how other countries view America?

WVUforREDSKINS

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

The correct answer is that we do our best to do what is right because that is what we should do. If that isn't good enough for the rest of the world, F them.

I more or less agree with this.

Though I will also say that I want the rest of the world to want to be like us.

I figure if we do the first right the second will follow.

Distancing ourselves from the world community is making the country less safe in the long run.

We need allies, both in the global economy, and in future military policing.

Thinking the country can do without diplomacy is going to hurt us in the long run, and some would say it already has hurt us in terms of national security.

I figure if we do the first right the second will follow.

That's basically where I fall.

I want to be the (forgive the cliches about to follow) beacon of liberty. I want to hold the moral high ground. I want the tired, poor, down-trodden and oppressed peoples of the world to look at us and say, "that's how it's done."

During the first Gulf War, American lives were saved because Iraqi troops laid down their arms, knowing they'd be treated well as our EPWs (given three squares, etc.) Imagine that -- preventing American casualties by treating the enemy the right way.

I'm not going to sit here and say that I oppose all "enhanced interrogation techniques" at all times. I don't. But in general, the Golden Rule is pretty damned effective; be it on the battlefield, in trade, or in diplomatic relations.

Poll split roughly 50/50%, no doubt along party lines, per usual. So is it a republican characteristic not to care?

I think it is, to some extent, Dean. I voted "yes," but I've long found myself in the "screw the world if they disagree with us" category.

I'm definitely in a transition period as far as my politics go. I used to be uber-ridiculously right, and now I'm moving back, IMO, pretty close to the center, if not crossing mildly left (God help me) on some issues.

Truth be told, during my uber-ridiculously right period, I could give a **** what the world thought. Everyone from my granddad to my teachers to my drill sergeants convinced me that we were right, we were the best, and that everyone should want to be like us.

These days, our standing in the world does matter to me. Not to the extent that I think we should go changing long-standing policy willy-nilly because, say, Nigeria doesn't like it. But I no longer have that "we're right, so **** you" mentality. I think that's destructive to our self-interest.

No.

And I believe it should read, I couldn't care less.

Most weaklings hate the tough guy in the room, but wish they were half as tough.

Schoolyard, tough guy, go it alone nonsense. All that kind of attitude does is hurt us in multiple ways. The economy is becoming more global by the day -- good relations with other countries are vital if we want to thrive. Terrorism is not something we can fight on our own -- we need cooperation from other nations.

I'm not saying we have to kiss everybody's butt. But telling folks to **** off, that it's our way or the high way all the time, may sound good in bars and on the campaign trail, but it is not a recipe for our country's success. Dubya has learned that the hard way.

That's basically where I fall.

I want to be the (forgive the cliches about to follow) beacon of liberty. I want to hold the moral high ground. I want the tired, poor, down-trodden and oppressed peoples of the world to look at us and say, "that's how it's done."

During the first Gulf War, American lives were saved because Iraqi troops laid down their arms, knowing they'd be treated well as our EPWs (given three squares, etc.) Imagine that -- preventing American casualties by treating the enemy the right way.

I'm not going to sit here and say that I oppose all "enhanced interrogation techniques" at all times. I don't. But in general, the Golden Rule is pretty damned effective; be it on the battlefield, in trade, or in diplomatic relations.

Said it better than I did, HH.

You're really starting to scare me. :)

couldn't care less. Our job isn't a popularity contest. But I'm sure some liberals and maybe even obama care what China, Iran, Korea thinks of us.

Considering China's investment in our country, we better care what they think of us. That ain't politics -- it's common sense.

I would love to see this thread redone with a poll that shows who voted for each option.

Out of sheer curiosity: Why does every private poll seem to attract at least one "Make it public!" post?

Are you guys keeping tallies of each others' answers to these things?

Are you generally just interested in the way one or two people voted?

Do you just find it academically interesting?

I have to imagine anonymous voting makes for a more accurate result.

Out of sheer curiosity: Why does every private poll seem to attract at least one "Make it public!" post?

Are you guys keeping tallies of each others' answers to these things?

Are you generally just interested in the way one or two people voted?

Do you just find it academically interesting?

I have to imagine anonymous voting makes for a more accurate result.

I'd like to see if this one breaks down by party lines like Dean suggested. Not sure about P's reasoning.

I started this to see if there was a correlation between how the right and left voted on this it would appear that the right and the left are voting the same.

So next thread title: "why don't conservatives like planet earth?" j/k

As for the graphs I posted, I wasn't making this thread about American aid whatsoever. I was only showing Keetsman possible reasons we get criticized, aside from our foreign policy,which is the main, if not only, reason.

I'd like to see if this one breaks down by party lines like Dean suggested. Not sure about P's reasoning.

Yep. That was my main interest.

I would also like to see how many voters for each side are actual Tailgate "regulars." We had an anonymous poll recently where it was clear that someone was voting, clearing his cookies, and voting again and again to skew the results.

mark mjah down for "hater of America" lol

I voted "I do care." I have no problem with my vote being public. But not everyone will feel that way, and the results will be affected.

Presumably a poll serves more purposes than just seeing how party lines predictably affect poll answers. I'd imagine you want the most accurate results possible, and anonymous voting will do a better job of guaranteeing that most of the time.

(Don't make me come after you in my Commiemobile.)

Archived