Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Future Redskin??? need help with college info

TheGoodBits

No, this is not about me. I wish I had the athletic ability and size to be a college football player. This is about my girlfriend's little brother. He is a 16 year old Junior from a tiny high school with a crappy football team. He is a 2nd year starter for that team, as a Center and at d-line. And he has some crazy potential in football.

I don't have his exact stats or anything, but I can tell you that as Center, he has snapped the ball every play for the past 2 seasons without a bad snap since early last year. This is in an offense that is always in the shotgun. Every single play. No bad snaps on punts, field goals, nothing. The coaches haven't used him full time on defense, but when he has been in he has been a monster. At least 6 or so sacks this year, and countless tackles. What's really impressive is the team runs a 2-5-2 defense I think, so most of the sacks you would think would come from linebackers. At 16, he is 6 foot 2, 260, and is pretty fast for his size. I'm sure he has at least another inch or 2 left to grow, and he could easily put on another 20-30 pounds.

The problem is, his high school coaches aren't terribly active in getting colleges out to look at their players, and it doesn't help that they suck. I'm thinking about sending an email on his behalf to college recruiters from several schools (UVA, VT, JMU, Maryland, App State, maybe CNU) suggesting that they take a look at him. Does anyone know anything about the college recruiting process that could be useful to us??? It would be very much appreciated.

No, this is not about me. I wish I had the athletic ability and size to be a college football player. This is about my girlfriend's little brother. He is a 16 year old Junior from a tiny high school with a crappy football team. He is a 2nd year starter for that team, as a Center and at d-line. And he has some crazy potential in football.

I don't have his exact stats or anything, but I can tell you that as Center, he has snapped the ball every play for the past 2 seasons without a bad snap since early last year. This is in an offense that is always in the shotgun. Every single play. No bad snaps on punts, field goals, nothing. The coaches haven't used him full time on defense, but when he has been in he has been a monster. At least 6 or so sacks this year, and countless tackles. What's really impressive is the team runs a 2-5-2 defense I think, so most of the sacks you would think would come from linebackers. At 16, he is 6 foot 2, 260, and is pretty fast for his size. I'm sure he has at least another inch or 2 left to grow, and he could easily put on another 20-30 pounds.

The problem is, his high school coaches aren't terribly active in getting colleges out to look at their players, and it doesn't help that they suck. I'm thinking about sending an email on his behalf to college recruiters from several schools (UVA, VT, JMU, Maryland, App State, maybe CNU) suggesting that they take a look at him. Does anyone know anything about the college recruiting process that could be useful to us??? It would be very much appreciated.

I don't know how big he is or what level he would be able to play at. I know JMU used to have a form potential recruits could fill out and send their info. to the coaching staff.

The website is jmusports.com

I don't know how big he is or what level he would be able to play at. I know JMU used to have a form potential recruits could fill out and send their info. to the coaching staff.

The website is jmusports.com

Yeah a few colleges have recruiting questionaires online. I told him to fill them out. Not sure what else to do, but I hope I can do something. Like I said, he's got some serious potential. I can see him being a solid DT or even DE if he builds some quickness. If nothing else, he could be a long snapper and also play special teams and a situational pass rusher.

Yeah a few colleges have recruiting questionaires online. I told him to fill them out. Not sure what else to do, but I hope I can do something. Like I said, he's got some serious potential. I can see him being a solid DT or even DE if he builds some quickness. If nothing else, he could be a long snapper and also play special teams and a situational pass rusher.

I don't know anything about football recruiting but in umpiring girls field hockey I've seen photographers hired by parents (usually in junior year) to make a video of their kid for submission to colleges.

the above response is a good idea.

I'm guess if he doesn't get much press, he won't really be thrust into the recruiting spotlight and won't be awarded any stars? I'm not sure how that works, like who do they determine gets stars and is a 1-5 star recruit?

Either way, best of luck to him.

I don't know anything about football recruiting but in umpiring girls field hockey I've seen photographers hired by parents (usually in junior year) to make a video of their kid for submission to colleges.

Hmm, sounds like a good idea, only expensive. I think the team films all the games, so maybe they would let him loop together some of his best plays.

the above response is a good idea.

I'm guess if he doesn't get much press, he won't really be thrust into the recruiting spotlight and won't be awarded any stars? I'm not sure how that works, like who do they determine gets stars and is a 1-5 star recruit?

Either way, best of luck to him.

Yeah, I don't know about the star system, but you are right about there being no coverage of the team. We have had a few players go on to play at big schools though, a running back a few years ago went to UVA I think, and BJ Cabell who graduated 3 years ago is starting O-line at UVA currently. So, there is some hope.

Doesn't matter if he is on a crappy team or not. His play alone would garner him support on "All-Area" teams or the Shrine Bowl. (here in NC anyways) Generally guys are being scouted their junior year by colleges and already know about them. If this kid isn't 5' 8"-6' 2" and weighing a good 250lbs, then chances are he's probably not a top recruit for a Div 1 school unless it's for long snapper.

6'2" 260 now, with a little growing left to do I assume. But yeah, I think he's looking more at a school like JMU or CNU. His game and size would certainly improve in college. He made Honorable Mention All-District last year as a sophomore, and I assume he will make 1st team All-District this year, unless it is a complete snub, which isn't unheard of. They tend to take worse players off of better teams for the All-District thing.

This is exactly what I was thinking. Make a video highlight film of him and start sending the DVD to college football programs. Make sure it has the entire play so they can see if he's still working through the entire play or if he quits, stuff like that. Send lots of these things out, send them to prep schools with quality football programs etc, it may mean a transfer for his senior year but if it results in scouts taking a first hand look at him then it would be worth it, and even if he never goes pro, he'd still be able to work for a scholarship to pay for college.

This is exactly what I was thinking. Make a video highlight film of him and start sending the DVD to college football programs. Make sure it has the entire play so they can see if he's still working through the entire play or if he quits, stuff like that. Send lots of these things out, send them to prep schools with quality football programs etc, it may mean a transfer for his senior year but if it results in scouts taking a first hand look at him then it would be worth it, and even if he never goes pro, he'd still be able to work for a scholarship to pay for college.

Good advice there. I think the main goal certainly for now is to get him through college. He wouldn't need much of a scholarship, bc if the financial aid he gets is anything like my girlfriend gets, he wouldn't need too much even in loans to get him through. The help certainly wouldn't hurt though.

I totally agree with this idea as well. Football Camps. (targeted for lineman)

I looked up these camps, and it looks like they are in the summer, and that App state and JMU have good all around camps, and that UVA has a relatively cheap camp just for linemen. Hopefully he can go to as many of these as possible and stand out while he is there.

Archived