Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jets trade 2 #1's

jbooma

Who do you NOT want the Giants to draft?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you NOT want the Giants to draft?

• Kelly Washington
    • Jerome McDougle
    • Andre Woolfolk
    • Troy Polamalu

I agree, the player taken at #4 is going to be better than the ones available at 13 and 22. The consensus is that this years draft though deep in DT relative to other years, is not a deep draft and there is a drop off from 10 on down and it becomes a crap shoot, some may work out great and others will crap out, but no one knows exactly which ones. getting in the top 10 they are assured toget an impact future pro-bowler. its not a bad move. they were a playoff team last year.

the bears were well a top 10 picking team (much like my cowboys), so they get more picks to play with and they have more holes. concievably they could end up with a DT and a QB(Boller) which would address two big problems for them.

For the picks they gave up they are getting equal value according to past draft trades. They didnt get robbed.

However, I think it is a mistake to give up what they did for Robertson. Like many have said, there are DTs they could get later that could help them. If they ended up with Johnson I think it would be better for them in the long run. I think Johnson would become a consistent pro bowler in the AFC. He reminds me of Irvin.

This trade makes no sense at all. If the Texans take Andre Johnson, the Jets traded Lavernues Coles and the 22nd picks for a D-Tackle that could be great, could be average, could be a bust -- no one knows. If the Texans take Robertson (or someone else trades up to get him), then the Jets will take Johnson, meaning they traded Coles and the 22nd pick for an unproven wide receiver -- one they will have to give a Coles like contract to. I mean, what are the odds Johnson turns out to be a pro-bowl player? You know who reminds me of? Michael Westbrook. A physical specimen with great speed who wasn't a natural pass-catcher.

Bradway's rapidly turning into the Wes Unseld of the NFL.

How anyone can seriously sit back and criticize this trade, even before a selection has been made, is comical.

First, those who are involving Coles in the trade assessment are misguided. Coles is GONE - water under the bridge. This trade is made to make the Jets better, not to justify the refusal to match Coles' offer. Also, the cap hit between #13/#22 and #4 is virtually the same. And those who say the Jets should have waited have no idea if another team would've trumped our offer. Some even complained that a conditional pick was included, without having any clue what this condition is. Looks like a lot of people are eager to prove the Jets wrong without stepping back and offering any semblance of a fair analysis.

At #13, there was good chance that Robertson, Sullivan, Williams and Kennedy would all be off the board and we'd either have to trade down or trade up using a 3rd rounder in a draft with much 3rd round talent. That would suck. At #22, the Jets felt they'd be reaching for whoever they chose. Now they can confidently step up to the podium, thrilled with their pick at #4.

If the Jets do take DeWayne Robertson, what is your qualification to say a DT taken at #13 is comparable to Robertson? I seriously doubt anyone here has any, other than reading a 3 sentence draft profile. If all our scouts unanimously concluded that he's a game-changing, dominant player who's significantly more talented than the DTs at #13 -- you'll forgive me if I favor their analysis over yours. The fact that DR's raw power and quickness allowed him to unanimously rise up in all scouts' eyes above several other DTs speaks volumes about his enormous potential. The Pats were so enticed, they tried twice to trade up for him, but lost out because they got too greedy.

It's also very possible a team trades into the #2 or #3 spot - this scenario was accounted for, but not a concern in light of the talent that would fall. You all can sit tight during the first round and cuss the Jets for making a splash on draft day, whomever the selection turns out to be (Rogers, Johnson, Newman, Robertson). Maybe the Jets will take Robertson and he'll dominate the league for years (alongside Abe, Ellis, Evans, Ferguson, Thomas), or maybe it'll be Johnson and he'll bust. Don't worry, we'll all get ample opportunity to determine whether this deal was a homerun or a strike out. But despite all your premature sour preditions -- today sure as hell ain't that day.

For once I agree with you Flow. It will be a year, maybe two before you'll know whether this was a genius move, plain solid, or a total miscalculation. I think you could argue that, with the offseason suffering the Skins inflicted, that the Jets could use more picks rather than less, but you are correct. Its all contingent on the impact the player/players ultimately have. And draft history is rife with 1st rounders who never made a significant impact. I'd have kept the picks, but it could prove to have been a smart move ultimately if they get a true impact player out of the deal.

Hold on here.

You Jet fans have been writing about how great it is that you have two first round picks for which the team can use to bring along prospects slowly - that the roster is set and the team doesn't need a draftee to come in and play right away.

If the roster and starters are so set, why sell the ranch to move up in the draft? And, I don't have the figures, so I could be wrong, but I would wager that the cap of #4 > #13 + #22.

It's never a bad idea to add studs, I'm not quibbling about that. It just seems that the Jet fans are so entranced by Bradway's spinning that they are starting to talk out of both sides of their mouth like him.:laugh:

I agree with Flowtrain on everything except his assertation about Coles. You have to keep Coles in as a part of the price for getting the #4 pick. That was your trade if you are determining true value. For the trade to work out you must get better production and value than Coles at his contract price and the value of your original pick. I don't really know what the #4 pick goes for contractwise, but I know it will be pretty expensive. Was this a wise preemptive trade? We'll find out both tomorrow (if you truly get who you want most) and in about three years when we can examine how each of the players (Coles, the #4, the #13, and the #22) have excelled, played to, or disappointed.

For those who were wondering about the cap effects of the trade up, the per year average for the #4 was $2.81M, while #13 + #22 was $2.89M.

For those inclined to include Coles in the analysis:

#4 cap number (minus #22 cap number paid anyway) = $1.69M

Laveranues Coles per year cap average = $5.0M

There is also a conditional pick TBA involved in this trade up. So the 13/22 for 4 trade is a wash from a cap standpoint. For those who want to view the end result in light of Coles - the conclusion is this. For a team adhering to a 3-year plan and willing to backload Coles' contract, it's advantageous to take the proven player at comparable cost over that 3-year duration. But for a team concerned about the ultimate contractual effects, letting Coles go saves significant money and trading up to #4 does nothing to minimize those savings.

Originally posted by 69 YARDS

The Jets need to stay at a Motel6.....At least they have a light on. :doh:

Motel6,,, French owned company,,, It would be SO appropriate.

What's the old addage? If you sit down at a card game and you don't know who the pigeon is,,,,, it's you?

I wonder if Bradway has figured it out yet.

~Bang

I swear, if the Jets had traded their two first round picks for a crack wh*re, Flowtrain and his Daddy, Terry Bradway, would be bragging on their great decision.

Two first round picks, a fourth round pick, and Laverneous Coles for a DT. Its funny! :laugh:

In the Jets defense, they didn't trade 2 1sts and Coles. They either traded 2 1sts, or 1 first and Coles.

(But, I agree: Coles for a first doesn't look to me like a great deal. And 2 firsts for a DT, when #13 and #22 are likely to both be used on starting DTs doesn't look too briliant, either. From what I saw at GangGreen, they're trying to paint this as if they'd just gotten Warren Sapp.)

Archived