Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mike Sellers has been flying under the radar for years

WVUforREDSKINS

Redskins fullback Mike Sellers has been flying under the radar for years -- unless you're an opposing linebacker. The Redskins' offensive line has received the majority of the credit for Clinton Portis leading the league in rushing with 643 yards, but it's Sellers who's been blowing up linebackers on Washington's signature running play, "90 press lead."

It's a zone-blocking play on which Sellers identifies a linebacker to block and then Portis has the option of staying outside or cutting back inside. At 6-foot-3, 270 pounds or so, Sellers has the power of an offensive lineman, but the quickness of a man who once caught 63 passes while playing in the Canadian Football League.

Sellers, 33, became the youngest player (18) to sign a CFL contract when he joined the Edmonton Eskimos in 1995. He turned 19 during training camp, and quickly became a vital part of the team. He had attended Walla Walla (Washington) Community College for a year, but he left school to turn pro because of "financial constraints."

"My first contract was for $60,000," said Sellers. "And I think they threw in a $10,000 signing bonus. I thought I was a rich man. Honestly, I didn't know what to do with all that money."

Sellers fell in love with life in Canada and says he'd still be there if they could pay him like an NFL player. In 1998, he was signed as a tight end by the Redskins. He's always wanted to know who discovered him -- Norv Turner was the head coach at the time -- but no one can tell him.

click link for full article

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfceast/0-4-130/It-s-a-Sellers-market-for-the-Redskins.html

I didn't realize we had Sellers in 98. Did we keep him all those years or did he bounce around?

According to wikipedia, the authoritative source for all football information, Sellers was here from 98-2000, before ending up on the Browns in 2001 (how about that), in Canada for a few years and then back with the Redskins in 2004.

Archived