Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Obama = Bush ???

helptheSKINS

Looks like those McSAME Signatures on this site may need to reconsider. Can't imagine Obama wants to be known as "Obama is basically another 4 years of Bush".

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Since Barack Obama incessantly makes the case that a John McCain administration would equate to another Bush term, it's worth looking at just how much Sen. Obama himself is in agreement with the unpopular president.

Does that mean that he, too, would be a repeat of President Bush? If one were to apply his logic, maybe so.

Here are 20 reasons why:

1. Abstinence: Bush expanded community-based abstinence education during his term, including a $28 million budget increase for 2009 in an effort to "Teach both abstinence and contraception to teens." Obama concurred in April when he said: "We want to make sure that, even as we are teaching responsible sexuality and we are teaching abstinence to children, that we are also making sure that they've got enough understanding about contraception."

2. Affirmative action: Bush said of the 2003 University of Michigan affirmative action case: "I strongly support diversity of all kinds, including racial diversity in higher education. But the method used by the University of Michigan to achieve this important goal is fundamentally flawed" -- because it depended solely on race. Bush has said other factors, such as socioeconomic status, should be considered, which would include poor white students.

Don't Miss

Obama now agrees with that view. "Inside Higher Ed" referred in May to "Obama's suggestion that he may be ready to change the focus of affirmative action policies in higher education -- away from race to economic class. ... In his debate in Philadelphia with Hillary Clinton, he said in response to a question, that his own privileged daughters do not deserve affirmative action preferences, and that working-class students of all colors do."

3. Budgets: Obama voted for Bush's budgets, which included 19 spending bills.

4. Capital punishment: Like Bush, Obama supports capital punishment. He spoke out in opposition to the recent Supreme Court decision that denied the death penalty for child rapists. And in his 2006 memoir, Obama said, "I believe there are some crimes -- mass murder, the rape and murder of a child -- so heinous that the community is justified in expressing the full measure of its outrage by meting out the ultimate punishment."

5. Education: Obama supports charter schools, as does Bush, and merit pay for teachers, and he voted in favor of supporting the president's 21st Century Community Learning Centers.

6. Economics: Obama told reporters that he agreed with Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson and Bush's bailout package, then voted for the $700 billion plan. And despite routinely criticizing "the Bush tax cuts," Obama is now offering tax cuts of his own (although only for the 95 percent of taxpayers earning less than $250,000 a year). What a concept!

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/10/13/wall.bush-obama/index.html

It was written by a black woman so I don't think the racist thing will happen. The other 2, yes they will. It's politics.

it was a joke because everything in the obama camp ends up being a race issue.

but i see that its started already so i will just sit back and enjoy the "show" the libs are going to put on.

no lib is going to let this thread go. they will bash it, spin it and call it racist before its done with.

be prepared.

Exactly how would 'libs' call this racist? Let's not get silly now and act like we don't know what issues deal with racial attacks. If ppl want to look at these issues, fine. That's what the race is supposed to be about, the issues. The cultural attacks don't have anything to do with this and I think this is obvious. So I'll just take that comment as sarcasm to the nth degree.

But isn't Obama the most liberal senator?

ithurts.gif

I stopped reading when her #1 reason was Abstinence. I could have stopped here but I decided to give it a chance.

Tara Wall, deputy editorial page editor and columnist for The Washington Times, serves as a political contributor to CNN. Before joining the newspaper, she was a senior adviser for the Republican National Committee and was appointed a public affairs director in the Department of Health and Human Services by President Bush

Exactly how would 'libs' call this racist? Let's not get silly now and act like we don't know what issues deal with racial attacks. If ppl want to look at these issues, fine. That's what the race is supposed to be about, the issues. The cultural attacks don't have anything to do with this and I think this is obvious. So I'll just take that comment as sarcasm to the nth degree.

hopefully you were posting this when i wrote it was a joke and didnt get too excited.

it was a joke because everything in the obama camp ends up being a race issue.

I agree and you have McCain to thank for that. Wasn't discussed to the point that it is now until McCain started the whole 'palling around with terrorist' crap and he knows it which is why he doesn't want to go there anymore.

But yes, I did see the post that you were joking. I kind of got that but wanted to make sure you weren't saying that literally.

Isn't this really a list of things that Bush, Obama, and McCain all agree on?

No, it's a list of things that most Americans agree on.

And they aren't really that similar when you scratch beneath the surface. For instance, there's a huge difference between Obama's "abstinence-first" sex ed, which is based on common sense, and the "abstinence-only" sex ed Bush was pushing, which is about as far from common sense as you can get.

Lots of states flat-out rejected millions of dollars in money tied to Bush's "abstinence-only" program, because they know it's a pile of BS. Had the money been tied to "abstinence-first" education instead, there's no way states like California, Wisconsin, and New Jersey would have left that cash on the table.

And that's just the first supposed "similarity" in the article. Scratch the surface a bit, and you'll find that on many of those issues the two guys aren't very close to each other at all.

Obviously, if they agreed on everything that would mean that Bush is a secret A-rab Muslim terrorist America-hater too. So... duh.

I'll be honest, that's a pretty poor piece of journalism. Politicians from opposite parties don't disagree on every single issue? No way!!!

One of the examples is that both Obama and Bush agree on the global fight against AIDS. Really? Is there anyone who doesn't think that's important?

Yup. He's just like Bush, the most liberal republican. Seriously, I need to hear from the McSame folks on this one. I'm very interested in what they have to say about this and the "change is coming" campaign.

It's funny how people who probably voted for Bush now claim he's liberal. Bush is the Manchurian Liberal Candidate. The left finally won by sticking Bush in the White House. Go team!

If Bush is a liberal why did McCain vote for him 95% of the time? McCain's a liberal too? So this race is between two liberals?

I'll be honest, that's a pretty poor piece of journalism. Politicians from opposite parties don't disagree on every single issue? No way!!!

One of the examples is that both Obama and Bush agree on the global fight against AIDS. Really? Is there anyone who doesn't think that's important?

Only liberals catch AIDS. If they were church going small towners instead of city heathen then God wouldn't have punished them.

Yup. He's just like Bush, the most liberal republican. Seriously, I need to hear from the McSame folks on this one. I'm very interested in what they have to say about this and the "change is coming" campaign.

What do you need to hear? You posted an article showing the similarities and ignoring the massive differences. They are different on economic policy by a mile, one favoring trickle down and the other trickle up. They are different on foreign policy by a mile, one favoring talking to our enemies and getting out of Iraq the other pushing isolationism and staying the course. They are different on energy policy one seeking to fast track alternatives and the other seeking to more drilling. They are different on health care one seeking to do nothing and the other seeking to add government involvement to decrease prices. One is prolife the other pro choice. I can go on and on but there is no point.

Pointing out a few similarities in voting records doesn't change the fact that Obama and Bush are different more often than they aren't on the major issues. McCain on the other hand built a reputation for being a maverick on a tiny percentage in which he disagreed with Bush... BUT TURNED AROUND ON ALMOST EVERY ONE OF THOSE ISSUES.

More of the same is working as a slogan because it's true.

It's funny how people who probably voted for Bush now claim he's liberal. Bush is the Manchurian Liberal Candidate. The left finally won by sticking Bush in the White House. Go team!

If Bush is a liberal why did McCain vote for him 95% of the time? McCain's a liberal too? So this race is between two liberals?

Business as usual. If something fails claim it was too liberal. If you go sa far right that you end up in a fascist state... define fascism as liberal as well and call it a day.

Archived