Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

JLC: Cerrato: There Will Be A New Punter

Jofizz

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/2008/10/cerrato_there_will_be_a_new_pu.html

Jason La Canfora reports:

Vinny Cerrato said on his radio show this morning that the Redskins will have a new punter when they play the Cleveland Browns on Sunday at FedEx Field.

Durant Brooks, a sixth-round draft pick in April (168th overall), has not yet been released, Cerrato said, but the team will bring in a handful of punters for tryouts tomorrow and is expected to sign one of them.

"Somebody else will be punting Sunday," Cerrato said.

Can you believe we picked this clown before Chris Horton?

Sheesh, we had to try guys. The guy was the best punter in the entire NCAA and scouts were calling him the best punting prospect since Shane Lechler. :doh:

You have to give the FO credit for at least attempting to upgrade over Derrick "Inconsistent" Frost. And besides, it's not like we wasted a high pick on the kid. He was a 6th rounder, boo frickity hoo!

I think I agree with this move. But please don't give me that "stupid front office" routine again. Dude booted 70 yard punts in college. How the hell were they supposed to know he'd turn out like this.

exact reason why you don't waste 6th rounder on such a volatile position like kicking/punting

Good move. It was a bad draft pick.

Having said that - It's not like we signed a FA punter and gave Millions to. How many teams out there ended up cutting their 6th, 7th, or 8th round draft pick this year? I'm sure we are not the only one.

There are only 7 rounds in the draft

Good move. It was a bad draft pick.

Having said that - It's not like we signed a FA punter and gave Millions to. How many teams out there ended up cutting their 6th, 7th, or 8th round draft pick this year? I'm sure we are not the only one.

:rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:nice football knowledge on these boards. wow.

One out of a handful isn't bad. Plus Brooks had everything going for him on Paper.

And on YouTube videos as well.

Maybe VC just wants the kid to sit down for a game and punish him. If the punters we bring in for the Browns game turns out to be more duds then bang at least Brooks can get another chance and make a statement.

It's easy to say that this was a bad draftpick now, but hindsight is 20/20. At the time we had a terribly inconsistent punter, and grabbing the best punter in college football, who was known to boot 70 yard punts on occasion, was not a bad decision.

Of course Brooks all of sudden forgot how to kick the damn ball, and now we're left looking like fools, but there's no one to blame except Brooks himself.

Is there anyway the skins can hold on to brooks and develop him.

I said this in "get a new punter" thread, but I say if we're certain to make a change at that position, find a way to put Brooks on IR. Gives him more time to develop at minimal cost ($324,000/this year) and you don't lose him to another team.

Maybe it's just me, but I find it hysterical that JLC bashed the hell out of Vinny when word of this radio show came out & now he's citing Vinny's show as a source. :)

LOL. Maybe his jealously has subsided. Or maybe his other "sources" are drying up.

I think I agree with this move. But please don't give me that "stupid front office" routine again. Dude booted 70 yard punts in college. How the hell were they supposed to know he'd turn out like this.

He should have known. And if he was too slow to realize, preseason performance should have given him a clue. College does not equal pro. Neither does Madden.

LMAO at the people who think a 6th round pick not panning out means we suck at drafting. Chris Horton is tearing it up, and we got him in the 7th. And if you then want to go the route of saying "well that means we could have gotten another Horton with that 6th rounder" I will simply point out that means you believe the FO was capable of finding another talent in the 6th round, hence they aren't bad at drafting even in your mind. I will then also ask you to point out a player taken after Brooks who has done anything significant in the NFL yet.

Archived