Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Will Clinton Portis be the best Redskin Running Back of all time?

WVUREDSKINSFAN

He would need a great signature play in a Superbowl. Or at least a 100+ yard performance in a Superbowl.

Running over a LB in the 4th Q of a Superbowl to get a first down and get us down to 2 min so that JC can kneel us out. That would do it.

It was a CB not a LB but still...

M initial reaction was 'not without the ring' like most of you, but I'm not so sure.

I think that Barry Sanders was hands down the best RB I've ever seen and he never got anywhere near a ring. There have been many great players that haven't won rings - it is a team game after all.

I grew up watching Riggo and loved watching him but he did average under 4 yards per carry behind what was probably one of the best lines of all time. CP blows him away statistically.

If CP gets 3 or 4 more good to very good seasons I think he's certainly in the conversation and likely better than Riggo.

There have been many great players that haven't won rings - it is a team game after all.

Reading this had me reconsidering my first post. Your right, it is a TEAM game after all. If CP breaks all Redskins RB records, does he necessarily need a ring to be considered the best IMO? Actually no, not really. I loved watching them both... along with Larry Brown. All 3 are kind of equal to me, but I guess I would give the nod to CP if he is able to surpass Riggo in the record books. Good Point!

Rank Names G ATT YD TD

1 John Riggins 114 1988 7472 79

2 Larry Brown 102 1530 5875 35

3 Stephen Davis 99 1383 5790 45

4 Clinton Portis 60 1262 5130 38

5 Terry Allen 52 1043 4086 37

6 Earnest Byner 80 990 3950 25

7 Mike Thomas 53 878 3359 15

8 Cliff Battles 60 839 3511 23

9 Don Bosseler 96 775 3112 22

10 Charlie Harraway 69 719 2659 20

As some others have said he is the most talented Redskins BR to ever carry the ball. All that needs to happen is statistical, but in order for skins fans to consider him the best Redskins RB of all time, he needs to win a championship. The pundits might consider him the best of all time whether or not he wins a championship. Personally, I think he is on his way.

Clinton Portis IS the best running back we ever had. It's really the truth. Maybe Clint hasn't passed riggins yet, but end of career stats doesn't mean anything to me. Look what he even does when he doesn't carry the football, it speaks for itself. It's scary in a good way.

But if people want to play stats, give portis 5 years. Edit: give him 2 years. He will pass even Riggins even though he doesn't have that wow HOG o-line like riggins had. (Dont get me wrong, our current o-line is on pace with the hogs)

I think old timers who saw Riggins play will respond to this thread differently than younger fans who did not see Riggins.

Riggins set the single season record for touchdowns (it has since been broken) while leading the Skins to a ring. For a couple of years, he was simply unstoppable.

I think Portis is amazing - runs with both speed and power, catches the ball well, and blocks better than any back in the league.

But, in my old-timer mind, he will not supplant Riggins without a ring.

As for the comment about Barry Sanders, I agree that he was the best back I have ever seen. Otherworldly. But the question is "who is the best Redskins back," a question which must include Redskins history - a history which the Lions do not share.

I think old timers who saw Riggins play will respond to this thread differently than younger fans who did not see Riggins.

Riggins set the single season record for touchdowns (it has since been broken) while leading the Skins to a ring. For a couple of years, he was simply unstoppable.

I think Portis is amazing - runs with both speed and power, catches the ball well, and blocks better than any back in the league.

But, in my old-timer mind, he will not supplant Riggins without a ring.

As for the comment about Barry Sanders, I agree that he was the best back I have ever seen. Otherworldly. But the question is "who is the best Redskins back," a question which must include Redskins history - a history which the Lions do not share.

The Barry Sanders comment was to make a point, if he doesn't need a ring to be the best runner in NFL history (apologies to Jim Brown, I'm too young to have seen him play) then why would the best RB in Redskins history need one?

I saw Riggins play many times. And he was a lot of fun to watch. But, Superbowl TD notwithstanding, he was not a breakaway threat (that TD was on 4th & inches and he was only touched by a CB).

If Superbowl performance is the benchmark, no one can touch Timmy Smith.

When we talk about best ever there are a couple, I look at in a couple ways. Who was the best in their prime and who contributed the most over the course of their (Redskin) careers.

CP is much more of a breakaway threat and a much better outside runner than was Riggins. He is a simply devastating blocker and a better receiver than Riggins. Riggins might have been a better inside runner. Pick one in their prime, I take CP.

Over the course of a career the ring comes into play as does career numbers. Right now the edge goes to Riggo, but if CP ends up with all of the Redskins records, which is likely within a couple of years, then I'd say the edge goes to CP.

John Riggins, 1982 playoffs.

vs Detroit, 119 yds

vs Minnesota, 185 yds

vs Dallas, 140 yds

vs Miami, Super Bowl XVII, 160yds, game MVP.

I love Clinton, but he will never be able to match what Riggins did in 1982. He'll never have to play 4 post season games in one season.

Believe it or not, my favorite one of those was the game against Minn. When he came out of the game at the end, he got a standing O and then took bows to the crowd on the field. Not something I will ever forget. Riggins had a style that no one will ever match. The guy would be in traction in the hospital, get out on Saturday afternoon, then rush for a 100 yards and go back into traction.

I think Portis is great, but he still has a lot to live up to, to be number 1 in my heart.

If he passes Riggins yardage wise, I guess he has to be. I don't use championships when comparing individuals in team sports though. I really don't understand why people use championsips as a criteria in team sports. Its a flawed argument to me. I mean I feel Barry Sanders is the best RB ever to me. Based off what I see and his #'s. He doesn't need a championship for me to see that. His team just wasn't good enough. I've seen some below average players in team sports have multiple rings. That doesn't make them better. I could see if we're talking Tennis, Boxing, Bowling or golf but in team sports I thing its crazy to use championships when comparing individuals in team sports. :2cents:

John Riggins, 1982 playoffs.

vs Detroit, 119 yds

vs Minnesota, 185 yds

vs Dallas, 140 yds

vs Miami, Super Bowl XVII, 160yds, game MVP.

I love Clinton, but he will never be able to match what Riggins did in 1982. He'll never have to play 4 post season games in one season.

Whooping Dallas in that NFC Championship game is my favorite Skins moment of all time. I still get chills from it. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the Superbowls but beating the Cowbums to go to the Superbowl doesn't get any better to me.

It isn't just the ring, though that is part of it. He needs to have a career of showing up big in prime time. Look at Riggins in the Superbowl run season. The man was a man-child on the field compared to his competition. I will say seeing portis these fast weeks have reminded me of Riggins, with runs like the 4 and 1 that he essentially willed his way for that yard. But right now, I still remember all the times in the past few years where 1st and goal seemed destined for a field goal. He's starting to show Riggins gump, and lord knows he is one of the best blocking RB I have ever seen. Anyone realize how lucky the Skins have been with RB that can pass block (Byner, Davis,Portis)?

Archived