Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Will Clinton Portis be the best Redskin Running Back of all time?

WVUREDSKINSFAN

So i was wondering, if Clinton Portis stays in a Redskin uniform for another 5 years or so, and continues on his current pace, will you consider him the greatest redskin running back of all time?

Currently he ranks 4th on our list of all time rushers with 5,130 yards, in 60 games as a skin. he is just 660 yards behind Stephen Davis for 3rd, and has played in 39 games less. To pass John Riggins he needs a little over 2,300 yards. Riggo played in 114 games opposed to Portis's 60.

Portis is on pace for 1,645 yards this season, should he get that his redskin career total would be at 6,261, 2nd place all time and just about 1,200 yards away from passing Riggins.

You have to assume that Portis will be all alone as our franchises top rusher possibly as soon as next year. But, in your eyes will that make him the greatest Redskin running back ever, or does he have to come up big for us in the playoffs or something?

Also something to keep in mind, is that through his 7 years in the league so far Portis has rushed for an average of 1,337 yards per season. if he stayed at that pace for 5 more years till he was 32, he'd be at 16,044 yards, which would currently rank him 3rd all time behing Walter Peyton, and ahead of Barry Sanders.

If he ends up wearing a ring, then it's feasible.

He's doing a great job this year, and if he gets a ring he'll have to be in the conversation. Right now it's Riggins and then the rest. Portis is probably #3 or 4 I think at this point in time. A couple of years ago I wouldn't even have him in the top 10.

If he ends up wearing a ring, then it's feasible.

Agreed. If Portis helps us win a championship, and continues his great performances in this new offense, I think he could easily go down as the greatest we've ever had. With the way he's been playing in the 4th quarter, he's already showing Riggo-like skills. ;)

I know without a doubt he will surpass all Redskins rushing records. But by the way he is running, i don't know if he'll be able to last another 5 years. 20+ touches are a lot, and those aren't easy yards. In Zorns words, he "wills" them.

I know without a doubt he will surpass all Redskins rushing records. But by the way he is running, i don't know if he'll be able to last another 5 years. 20+ touches are a lot, and those aren't easy yards. In Zorns words, he "wills" them.

Well keep in mind that he is 27 now, so to say that it's shocking that his ability would diminish by age 32 isn't very accurate. Heck, LT is 29 and is already starting to show signs of diminished ability. It's common knowledge that running backs, once they hit 30 and beyond, are almost certainly done.

Who knows, maybe Portis will end up being one of those special backs who continues to get better with age (like a Fred Taylor type of guy) but it'd be shocking to me if his production didn't start to tail off in 2-3 years.

I think when its all said and done he will be the best rb on the redskins...he is stil fairly young.

true he's 27, but he's been in the league since he was 20. a lot of wear and tear on the body. I hope he will be able to play well into his 30's. I love what he brings to this team.

So i was wondering, if Clinton Portis stays in a Redskin uniform for another 5 years or so, and continues on his current pace, will you consider him the greatest redskin running back of all time?

Currently he ranks 4th on our list of all time rushers with 5,130 yards, in 60 games as a skin. he is just 660 yards behind Stephen Davis for 3rd, and has played in 39 games less. To pass John Riggins he needs a little over 2,300 yards. Riggo played in 114 games opposed to Portis's 60.

Portis is on pace for 1,645 yards this season, should he get that his redskin career total would be at 6,261, 2nd place all time and just about 1,200 yards away from passing Riggins.

You have to assume that Portis will be all alone as our franchises top rusher possibly as soon as next year. But, in your eyes will that make him the greatest Redskin running back ever, or does he have to come up big for us in the playoffs or something?

Also something to keep in mind, is that through his 7 years in the league so far Portis has rushed for an average of 1,337 yards per season. if he stayed at that pace for 5 more years till he was 32, he'd be at 16,044 yards, which would currently rank him 3rd all time behing Walter Peyton, and ahead of Barry Sanders.

The way you asked the question requires an 'of course' answer. He will be the greatest rusher by late next year based on how you asked the question. There are, however, many other things you may want to consider: effect on the teams he played for (that is, did he bring the team a championship?), rushing TDs, total TDs, etc.

and, shame on me for thinking the Bailey/Portis trade was stupid...

lol dont feel too bad I know theres many of you out there. My opinion of the trade was fairly equal.

Either way it goes CP will be the greatest Redskin RB Ive ever seen, well kinda. I seen Riggo but dont really remember.

He would need a great signature play in a Superbowl. Or at least a 100+ yard performance in a Superbowl.

Running over a LB in the 4th Q of a Superbowl to get a first down and get us down to 2 min so that JC can kneel us out. That would do it.

For any modern day running back, i would not want anyone else. Even Brian Westbrook. CP is imho the best blitz blocking running back in the league. Plus he knows how keep everyones spirits up and keep it light...or else, Sheriff gonnagetcha

Just a thought: Imagine Portis playing in Riggins' era and vice versa.

You know the same guy would be the best back in both eras. Kind of gives you the answer without it being skewed by influences beyond a RBs control/influence.

Archived