Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Will Clinton Portis be the best Redskin Running Back of all time?

WVUREDSKINSFAN

John Riggins, 1982 playoffs.

vs Detroit, 119 yds

vs Minnesota, 185 yds

vs Dallas, 140 yds

vs Miami, Super Bowl XVII, 160yds, game MVP.

I love Clinton, but he will never be able to match what Riggins did in 1982. He'll never have to play 4 post season games in one season.

He will statistically surpass everyone, but I agree with SD no way could he compare to what the Diesel did in 82. I remember all those games. Simply incredible run capped off by a Superbowl.

Now on the other hand if CP could lead us to a couple SB victories well......

I think when all is said and done, CP will be the #2 all time running back for the Redskins.

Even if he breaks Riggins rushing record, he will most likely never match the sheer love Redskins fans feel for Riggins. It's like the Diesel was part of 80's pop-culture. I think in the heart of most Skins fans that Riggins will always be #1, no matter what.

As it looks now he should post another 1000+ yard season. If he can keep going a couple more seasons or more of decent production I'd say yes. When I think of the great backs of course Riggo is the first to come to mind. My second thought is Larry Brown. After that it's wide open. I think Byner comes to mind soon after. Guess I think of the warriors. I just never think of S. Davis as being one of our all-time greats. But although there have been some rough spots I think many will remember the C. Portis era as being a good one.

Just a thought: Imagine Portis playing in Riggins' era and vice versa.

You know the same guy would be the best back in both eras. Kind of gives you the answer without it being skewed by influences beyond a RBs control/influence.

I was thinking the same thing Pedro. If CP was on the 83' squad with that offense and the Hogs I have no doubt CP would've put up better numbers on they way to the SB victory.

M initial reaction was 'not without the ring' like most of you, but I'm not so sure.

I think that Barry Sanders was hands down the best RB I've ever seen and he never got anywhere near a ring. There have been many great players that haven't won rings - it is a team game after all.

I grew up watching Riggo and loved watching him but he did average under 4 yards per carry behind what was probably one of the best lines of all time. CP blows him away statistically.

If CP gets 3 or 4 more good to very good seasons I think he's certainly in the conversation and likely better than Riggo.

After much consideration I think it doesn't take a ring to be the best of all-time. I agree with CalSkin that Barry Sanders was the best of all-time yet he didn't win a ring. I like every other Skins fan praise both Riggo and CP alike. They run the football in a very similar ways. I just think CP could've done more with what Riggo had around him. I also think unless CP gets injured he'll finish with superior stats. :2cents::cheers:

Timmy Smith FTW!!

Ricky Irvins!!

seriously, CP has as good of a shot as anyone as becoming our best back but he needs a ring. He has a different yet just as charismatic personality as the Great Riggo did but the difference is Riggo won a ring. I mean literally won it too with that 4th down run in the SB. He is why I wore 44 all thru my days of football..

My favorite player of all time is the diesel. That being said I admire cp for all the extra's he brings to the team. He is argueably one of the best blocking back's of all time. He has a great way of pushing the pile and not stopping till he gets that last needed yard, ie. last week against the BEAGLES. He was so pumped when he got that last yard. I think if he finishes his career as a redskin and totals more yardage than riggo he will be in the same breath as clark, monk, green...but Riggo will always be riggo..so portis will be #2...

:eaglesuck

John Riggins, 1982 playoffs.

vs Detroit, 119 yds

vs Minnesota, 185 yds

vs Dallas, 140 yds

vs Miami, Super Bowl XVII, 160yds, game MVP.

I love Clinton, but he will never be able to match what Riggins did in 1982. He'll never have to play 4 post season games in one season.

If my memory serves me, this was a strike year & Riggo only played 9 regular season games. He had plenty of fuel in the tank for the playoffs. Not to diminish what Riggo did, but...

Riggins will always be the best until Clinton gets two rings and close to or bests Riggo's numbers. All things being equal, Riggo will always be the best all time RB. Clinton would have to get two rings and equal/better stats IMO. In fairness, if Clinton plays for another 6 years, he'll best Riggo and probably be in the top 10 of all time Backs in the NFL. In other words, if he gets a ring, bests Riggo's numbers, and reaches the top ten of all time, you could make a case that Clinton is the best Redskins Back of all time. He'd instantly be a HOFer IMO, to boot.

HTTR

If he passes Riggins yardage wise, I guess he has to be. I don't use championships when comparing individuals in team sports though. I really don't understand why people use championsips as a criteria in team sports. Its a flawed argument to me. I mean I feel Barry Sanders is the best RB ever to me. Based off what I see and his #'s. He doesn't need a championship for me to see that. His team just wasn't good enough. I've seen some below average players in team sports have multiple rings. That doesn't make them better. I could see if we're talking Tennis, Boxing, Bowling or golf but in team sports I thing its crazy to use championships when comparing individuals in team sports. :2cents:

I agree that you cant use championships in a team sport to rank someone. Its absurd. One person cannot win you a game no matter how good they are. Now I do think that how you perform in big games should count but if you dont get any big games to perform in what are your supposed to do? CP shows up big time every week. He gives us everything he has. He is a work horse. Riggins was too. I think if Portis passes his numbers and helps carry this team to a few more productive years, he will surpass Riggins. Only time will tell though.

Archived