Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

JLC: Zorn on Rookie Recievers/ Taylor, Springs, Heyer PRACTICING

SMOSS89

I say don't rush Taylor back. Seems like we've been fine without him and I'd much rather have him 100% in meaningful games than 50-75% in the next three weeks.

Not saying I'm taking the Rams, Browns or Lions lightly, but we've beaten two really good teams without Taylor, and one without Springs.

is this a jason lacanfora article? please let me know before i click on the link. i'm on a personal goal to never go back to his website page again.

I just went there once for myself, once for you, and once more.

Anyway, I don't think the Skins need Taylor against, at least, the next two opponents. Let him rest. So, is Zorn not wanting the rookies to learn by doing? It seems like, once again, the next two opponents would be good to use the rooks against.

is this a jason lacanfora article? please let me know before i click on the link. i'm on a personal goal to never go back to his website page again.

OK then here's some highlights (the quotes):

"We tried to get Devin Thomas more and more involved," Zorn said, "and he has to play with more and more discipline, or he's going to get less and less play. He's learning. He's a tremendous talent. But he's not ready, really, to take on any kind of responsibility, to be honest with you. We're having to spoon-feed him there."

"I think Fred Davis is starting to come on," Zorn said. "You saw him getting a little more active. His whole deal was just to stay active, just to dress. He hated it the first week [when he was not active for the season opener against the Giants]. So he had to change the way he was putting things together.

"Now, he waited the entire mini-camp, offseason program, training camp, preseason, and he was inactive - and then he started to get it? You see what I mean? He waited all that time thinking it was going to be that easy.

"And I think these rookies - at least our guys - are seeing that it's much harder than it looks. You're the big man on campus, and you're the draft choice and you're all this and you're all that. When you get here, you're one of the guys, because everybody else is good, too."

Not many comments about the rookie part of the article. Maybe now it makes things somewhat clear when a rookie doesn't play. Everyone acts like the players can just step into the pro game like it was nothing, when you still have to work at it. Course, it helps that we don't NEED these guys on the field. Overall, tho, it will be good for them in the long run.

Jason

Not many comments about the rookie part of the article. Maybe now it makes things somewhat clear when a rookie doesn't play. Everyone acts like the players can just step into the pro game like it was nothing, when you still have to work at it.

Yep. Hate to say it but Davis sounds like a bit of a knucklehead.

"We tried to get Devin Thomas more and more involved," Zorn said, "and he has to play with more and more discipline, or he's going to get less and less play. He's learning. He's a tremendous talent. But he's not ready, really, to take on any kind of responsibility, to be honest with you. We're having to spoon-feed him there."

Man that doesn't sound good at all.

Yep. Hate to say it but Davis sounds like a bit of a knucklehead.

I'm sure there are similar stories that you can say about a lot of rookies. It is a learning process for these young guys that maybe the way they have been doing things isn't the right way to go about them in the NFL. While it is disappointing that they didn't get it right away, to expect them to is setting the bar a bit high, particularly if they were BMOC. On a team like this, you aren't likely to be better than the guys ahead of you who have been playing in this league for years.

To be honest, I think the lower draft picks can get up to speed quicker just from the standpoint that they KNOW they need to work hard or else they won't have a job. That's why a guy like Horton is earning playing time when given an opportunity while Thomas is squandering his opportunities by making stupid mistakes.

Jason

I have concerns about Taylor being able to stop the run....

Especially against a team like the rams...he will get a huge dose of steven jackson who maybe stronger than taylor. The week after that he will get a lot of Jamal Lewis another guy that is arguably stronger than him so we'll see how he holds up.

I'm sure there are similar stories that you can say about a lot of rookies. It is a learning process for these young guys that maybe the way they have been doing things isn't the right way to go about them in the NFL. While it is disappointing that they didn't get it right away, to expect them to is setting the bar a bit high, particularly if they were BMOC. On a team like this, you aren't likely to be better than the guys ahead of you who have been playing in this league for years.

To be honest, I think the lower draft picks can get up to speed quicker just from the standpoint that they KNOW they need to work hard or else they won't have a job. That's why a guy like Horton is earning playing time when given an opportunity while Thomas is squandering his opportunities by making stupid mistakes.

Yeah, I think there's something to be said for that. With Davis, take a look at the oversleeping incident. In the grand scheme of things, it's not a big deal if it's the only incident. But when you put that incident against the backdrop of what Coach Zorn is saying here, it doesn't look great.

Marcus Washington is still out though

That's something you're probably going to have to get used to.

Boy....Zorn sure makes Thomas out to be a moron week in and week out. Come on DT we need ya buddy!

Actually he has to spoon-feed him just like a little baby. :silly:

But yeah JT doesn't need to get on the field for the next 3 weeks. In my mind I had him coming back for the Steelers game. when we will really need him.

Archived