Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

JLC: Zorn on Rookie Recievers/ Taylor, Springs, Heyer PRACTICING

SMOSS89

Somethihng's screwy with this whole rookie draft class thing, and the way Zorn's handling them. One or more, of the following things may be going on:

1. They truely are not ready, and/or weren't that good to begin with.

2. Zorn expects much more than any other coach I've ever seen.

3. Zorn is sending a subtle message up the ladder that he wants more involvmenet in personell deisions.

Somethihng's screwy with this whole rookie draft class thing, and the way Zorn's handling them. One or more, of the following things may be going on:

1. They truely are not ready, and/or weren't that good to begin with.

2. Zorn expects much more than any other coach I've ever seen.

3. Zorn is sending a subtle message up the ladder that he wants more involvmenet in personell deisions.

The only difference between Zorn and Gibbs on this is that Zorn is being much more vocal about it. For example, Rocky sat most of 2006. Why? Most of us had no clue as to why, because the coaching staff wasn't saying anything. My guess, tho, is the situation was similar.

Jason

At least now we can stop the threads about why aren't our rookies performing....hopefully.....

I dont like hearing this about our rookies. Hopefully they can actually do something by the end of the year, but I'm really gaining more confidence that this year won't be the year for any of them. Maybe, this year will humble them enough to take this next offseason seriously and put in some more effort.

But then again, maybe Zorn is just pushing their buttons to inspire them (in a way that he can't really push the buttons of veterans). You think this team of veterans would respond well to losing his job to a rookie who's not out-performing him? Jansen didn't, and it was clear to the fans that he had lost a step. Hopefully they can all start to get some things going. But its kinda sad that I don't hear ANY POSITIVE WORDS from Zorn about this rookie class. Its kinda sad.

I'm looking at the whole picture...not just this article. When you add up everything we know, including the sleeping in, and Zorn's comments about his preparation, he kinda looks like a knucklehead based on what we know so far.

I'm not worried--it's still way early and he'll have plenty of opportunities to prove himself. Just saying he looks like a knucklehead, but hopefully he'll learn and mature.

I will say this though about Davis. He hasn't made any bonehead plays yet. Devin Thomas has shown his talent, but also showed his inexperience. Maybe its cause Davis isn't getting enough plays, but he hasn't gotten called for a hold or an offsides or a pass interference.

I wish there was a way I could analyze the number of snaps each player is getting so I could see how many chances he's had to actually make these mistakes.

Personally, I actually like the fact that we've had the luxury of assimilating Devin to the offense slowly and by our own pace. The WCO is a very complex offense, even for pro standards, so it's obviously going to be tough for a guy who played one year of D1 ball at Michigan State (which doesn't even use a pro style offense if I remember correctly). It's good for us that Randle El and Moss have been healthy and productive, with Thrash coming in and doing his part. This way, you give Devin small parts of playing time, give him more time to get used to our offense, until finally he's grown enough to challenge for a starting spot.

This is all true until we get an injury. I highly doubt the Eagles had such high hopes for Jackson playing so much this early, but injuries forced him to play a lot more. Hopefully we're not cursed with the injury bug, but if we were, it would change that luxurt we have of not having to play them.

I wonder if Zorn is saying that the rookies are playing so poorly in practice that if this were to happen he'd activate a player from the practice squad before playing them?

The rookie receivers are being humbled right now and that's exactly what they need. Thomas was raw coming out of college having only played one year of division I football and both Davis and Kelly have had reputations of being a bit full of themselves.

I understand earning your stripes, but I kinda feel that if it were that simple, Zorn wouldn't say anything. I fear that right now he's saying something because its a lot worse than what he's saying. Hopefully its not that bad, but thats what I fear right now.

I understand earning your stripes, but I kinda feel that if it were that simple, Zorn wouldn't say anything. I fear that right now he's saying something because its a lot worse than what he's saying. Hopefully its not that bad, but thats what I fear right now.

I think you are thinking too much :)

Simply put, the guys aren't ready. No surprise with Kelly and Thomas, seeing how they missed tons of time in training camp due to injury and WR is a very tough position to learn in the NFL

Davis is behind Cooley and Yoder. Again no surprise there

Once I heard about the WR injuries in camp, my most optimistic scenario was to have them contributing by November

Good to see Jason Taylor out there practicing. I wouldn't mind him sitting out Sunday if he's not 100% though. Get fully healthy first!

Definitely.....Actually, if our defense has a very strong game against the Rams, I'd like to see him sit out the following game (against the Browns I believe) as well and come back against the Lions. He can come back that second game, but just sit out this game against the Rams, its a long season, he's going to have more then enough opportunities to lay out some QBs....

Gotta love Zorn's candor. He doesn't mince words. And he's right. These guys are still rookies and it's rare to see rookie wide receivers put up the gawdy numbers even mediocre vets put up. They have to adjust and be in the right system. I think Thomas and Kelly are still adjusting and as the year goes on they'll get their shot. But I am worried about Kelly staying healthy. At the rate he's going, I'll be shocked if he doesn't end up on IR at the end of the season.

Well I think it also reflects the confidence we have with our starters right now.

We didn't draft these guys to come in and start immediately.

We drafted them to come in, learn a new system start to contribute and then come on in their 2nd and 3rd seasons.

I have no problem with that IF, in the next two seasons they develop into good players.

is this a jason lacanfora article? please let me know before i click on the link. i'm on a personal goal to never go back to his website page again.

Barry Svrluga is the type of sports journalist that likes to stir the pot. I think this is an instance of good old Barry Svrluga taking advantage of Zorn's openness to craft a juicy story. See:Feeling Trapped in Tight Spaces Daylight or Not, Portis Must Carry Redskins' Offense. Did anyone expect the rookies to come in and supplant Moss, ARE and Cooley for playing time and catches? Zorn is an exacting coach he wants the rookies to get up to speed quicker. Big surprise?

:cheers:

You won't click on the link, but you'll ask other fans to click on it and post what was written? Seems a little pointless...

If you don't care what JLC or the Post has to say, why not avoid these threads?

:2cents:

My comment was to the OP, whom I assume read the thing before posting the link. I'm not advocating anyone else reading that trash.

All I am interested in are the direct quotes from Zorn, which don't seem to be available anywhere else in this forum. Unfortunately.

Anything else besides a direct quotation from those hacks is just garbage speculation and bitter, biased pap.

At least now we can stop the threads about why aren't our rookies performing....hopefully.....

I dont like hearing this about our rookies. Hopefully they can actually do something by the end of the year, but I'm really gaining more confidence that this year won't be the year for any of them. Maybe, this year will humble them enough to take this next offseason seriously and put in some more effort.

But then again, maybe Zorn is just pushing their buttons to inspire them (in a way that he can't really push the buttons of veterans). You think this team of veterans would respond well to losing his job to a rookie who's not out-performing him? Jansen didn't, and it was clear to the fans that he had lost a step. Hopefully they can all start to get some things going. But its kinda sad that I don't hear ANY POSITIVE WORDS from Zorn about this rookie class. Its kinda sad.

Not to worry guys about our class of receivers. Remember, there's the free style college way or the NFL/Zorn way. Its like enlisting in the military in that the object is to remake the inductee. Teach them the proper way to do things and this is what's taking place now with them.

Devin is a gifted WR who is learning team concepts as oppose to being a collegiate star on campus. I noticed how the players were in his case after committing that infraction against Philly. But this guy is very strong in positioning his body for the catch and gain more after the catch. He dose it with tenacity and purpose. I can't wait until he gets it all in perspective.

I'm really looking forward to Malcom Kelly getting his inner child under control with all the nicks and bruises. This guy also is a gamer.

I really wonder now what all the talk about Davis, Thomas, and Kelly staying late after practice is all about. Is it just the local news guys writing something to fill the paper, or is there something behind that. It was inspiring me at first, but now I'm more nullified by those statements.

Maybe this was Zorn's way of "staying medium". Maybe the guys were getting too happy with what they've been doing, which may be good, but not enough to catch them up. So maybe Zorn said these comments to let them know they're still behind....

:confused:

I guess I'm gonna sit here confused until we actually start to see these guys contributing.

I really wonder now what all the talk about Davis, Thomas, and Kelly staying late after practice is all about. Is it just the local news guys writing something to fill the paper, or is there something behind that. It was inspiring me at first, but now I'm more nullified by those statements.

Maybe this was Zorn's way of "staying medium". Maybe the guys were getting too happy with what they've been doing, which may be good, but not enough to catch them up. So maybe Zorn said these comments to let them know they're still behind....

:confused:

I guess I'm gonna sit here confused until we actually start to see these guys contributing.

seems like you are thinking about this a little to much.

Archived