Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

John Clayton on Sean Taylor

shk75

Sean Taylor was a different kind of player.

He is to Free Safeties as Barry Sanders is to Running backs.

no one else plays like him.

name a safety that has his instincts, his hitting ability, and his range...

Ed Reed is probably the best right now, but his style of play is a lot different than Taylors.

i'm gonna go ahead an say it... if Sean was alive, and played until he couldn't play no more... we'd see his sculpted head in Canton.

Honestly, the dude was like some maxed out freak of a madden player you create.

Aw man thats so true. Situation is still unbelievable. Ill prolly never forget where I was at, what I was doing when I heard he was shot :doh:

I think we, as usual, let emotion get the best of us when talking about Taylor. I remember a Rams game a few years ago when the whole game thread was criticizing his play. He was a phenomenal athlete but the sad sad truth is you gotta finish your career before you get called an all time great. Alexander Ovechkin is on a pace only Gretzky and Mike Bossy have matched in goal scoring but to call him an all time great now is absurd. In a decade we'll likely call him one of the best players and maybe top 3 scorers ever. Unfortunately with Sean, we'll never know but there are so many great athletes that end up being just great but not immortal so sad to say but all these best ever boasts are just speculation. I will say however that he is one of the best athletes to come into the league no question and probably the best athlete ever at the safety position. Athletes like that are extremely rare; I'd say Adrian Peterson is one of those (6 2 220 and runs a 4.3). It's depressing to think what could've been. Oh well...

Honestly, the dude was like some maxed out freak of a madden player you create. Some guy who you are like this person does not exist in real life but this is how I want a player to be.

indeed, you could throw him into any position, offense or defense, and he would have been great at it.

Thanks for your valuable assesment and contribution to this thread.

thank you for being an ass clown.

ST was unique and I think the assesment of every 5 years is about right. Although Reed and Polamalu were back to back drafts. I would refrain from calling ST the best ever. There are several infront of him that were better.

Wow thats some real valuable insight. Your football knowledge and insight is off the chart.

thank you for being an ass clown.

Oh and for your valuable insight. Oh thats right you didn't have anything to offer. Run along.

You have really offered some valuable insite to this thread. Thank you for sharing your opinion.

Sticks brought up a good point. He had a ton of potential. But potential alone wont get you a bust in canton.

That was the funny thing about Taylor. He contributed for us whenever he got in the game, even in his rookie year but the only rookie that got any mention was Peter Boulware and where is he now? I think we've got another great one in Landry but like many expressed in another ST thread a few weeks back, it would have been great to watch both of those guys mature together.

I can't help but feel sad when i think about the what could have been...

Area 51 Forever

You have really offered some valuable insite to this thread. Thank you for sharing your opinion.

Sticks brought up a good point. He had a ton of potential. But potential alone wont get you a bust in canton.

Wow, I am really impressed with this last post. Man, thank you for simply repeating what an earlier member said. Your insite is so appreciate. Keep it coming.

And btw, I was expressing my honest feelings for STin my original post. Im still upset about it just like most skin fans are and they are not afraid to share their emotions or feelings here. Thats whats so great about Extremeskins. We know who ST was and respected him as a player, father and man. Since you have so littler respect for others feelings toward ST and chose to be a smart ass atleast u could of add something of value to this discussion but that is not apparent.

you mean Anthony Leon of FSU?

he is only a mere 6ft 4 and weighs 220lbs. . . all i can say is damn.

either way, Sean Taylor 21 is the best FS ever. hands down.

Sorry to put a damper on the mood but Anthony Leon has transfered on is waiting to be transfered he got stuck deep on the dept chart

Sean Taylor was a once-in-a-generation talent. He was a bigger faster version of Ronny Lott. If he had had played for 10 years, I think he would've been one of the best to ever play.

I think Landry will have a very good career, but he doesn't have the same potential that Sean had. :2cents:

Going by Claytons analogy we should start to see ST type of talent at the college level. Im looking now and dont see anyone even close.

What sucks the most is that we would've had ST and LL together for a long time. I cant even fathom what they would have accomplished together.

I would look at taylor mays. 6'3 230 might even be faster then ST.

I would look at taylor mays. 6'3 230 might even be faster then ST.
Taylor Mays has the physical tools, but he's not nearly the game changer Taylor was. Doesn't have close to the instincts.

Landry even was a better prospect coming out than Mays is right now. He'll probably go in the first round as of now, but I'd be surprised if we're looking at a safety for our first round pick this year. Maybe if he slips to the mid-2nd range we might take a look. But the play of Horton so far is turning even that into an unlikely scenario.

five years? i think not sir, respectfully. he was going to redesign the position. just like R Lot before him. he was rare. not just because of his physical gifts and they where tremendous. but his heart and soul and mind. he was growing beyond his body. it's a trap alot of talented guys fall into. they rest on their physical talent and don't grow in other ways. he was paying the price to become the best, and it was happening right before our eyes.speed, size, heart and all his being.simply put it was humbling to watch, a person seizing the moment, knowing they are where they are supposed to be. doing what they are supposed to be doing, and doing it no holds barred. sky was the limit. he was on the cusp of changing the safety position forever. to dominate as no one had sense R Lot and as fearsome a Jack Tatum of the raiders.we lost a treasure guys, pure and simple. the skins need to put out a dvd of his greatest hits, moments and so on.i know i would buy it.i will always remember Sean Taylor. i remeber telling guys that i worked with before we drafted that year that we where going to draft him.Lavar Arrington is a guy that i also loved to watch because of the passion and physical talent he had and played with. but it appeared to me that he didn't pay the price as Taylor was to become the best he could have been.

Archived