Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

John Clayton on Sean Taylor

shk75

Just saw this little blurb on ESPN

To AB, who wonders if there will be a new Sean Taylor, of course, great safeties will come along every five or six years. Taylor was a great player. He had speed and hitting ability. Before his tragic shooting, he had his best year of off-season training and was emerging as a superstar. You can expect a great safety such as him about every five years. It's just sad we can't enjoy him now.

That was the funny thing about Taylor. He contributed for us whenever he got in the game, even in his rookie year but the only rookie that got any mention was Peter Boulware and where is he now? I think we've got another great one in Landry but like many expressed in another ST thread a few weeks back, it would have been great to watch both of those guys mature together.

I could just picture it now watching ESPN classic 30 years from now and them having a NFL films special on area 51 with audio and all the hits and interviewing old opponents on how terrified they were...*sigh*... life is a *****.

Whenever he was out there it always seemed like a big-play was right around the corner. I will never forget the dive into the end-zone that iced the win in Philly.

The other thing I will never forget about the Sunday after he passed away...I know we give Jimmy Johnson a lot of crap...but seeing him on the Pre-Game show struggling to hold it together and saying, "The real tragedy of all this is that his daughter will never know her father that is the greatest tragedy in all of this."

Clayton is a bit wrong. Yeah, good safeties come out every 5 years or so. Sean Taylor was more special than that. He definitely had the ability and drive to be an all time great. He just never got the opportunity to let it come to fruition.

Exactly, to say Sean Taylor was "a good safety" is simply missing the point.

"Good safeties" or even "great safeties" do not have these three qualities in one package:

1) Safety knowledge / skills (reading the offense, directing traffic, quick reaction to plays, pass and run)

2) Cornerback speed and hands (interception ability, speed to man-cover many/most WRs)

3) Linebacker strength (ability to tackle anyone on an island, scare people in the open field, take on a wide variety of blockers in a blitz scheme)

A guy with those 3 qualities is not a "once in 5 years" guy; as you said, it's an automatic all-time great. That you could see those things in him at his young age is absolutely amazing. Landry credits ST for helping him pick up the Pro game, and that plays a part with how even at Landry's young age he's already getting the respect he is.

ST's effect continues. Respect to Landry for carrying the mantle.

The more I look at the other safeties in the league, the more I realize that there was no one even in the class of Sean Taylor.

Sure, there are great safeties in the league, but none of them can combine their skill with viscious physical dominance like Sean Taylor did.

I miss him every game.

The more I look at the other safeties in the league, the more I realize that there was no one even in the class of Sean Taylor.

Sure, there are great safeties in the league, but none of them can combine their skill with viscious physical dominance like Sean Taylor did.

I miss him every game.

Honestly, the dude was like some maxed out freak of a madden player you create. Some guy who you are like this person does not exist in real life but this is how I want a player to be.

That was the funny thing about Taylor. He contributed for us whenever he got in the game, even in his rookie year but the only rookie that got any mention was Peter Boulware and where is he now? I think we've got another great one in Landry but like many expressed in another ST thread a few weeks back, it would have been great to watch both of those guys mature together.

What are you talking about? Peter Boulware was in the league way before Sean Taylor.

you mean Anthony Leon of FSU?

he is only a mere 6ft 4 and weighs 220lbs. . . all i can say is damn.

either way, Sean Taylor 21 is the best FS ever. hands down.

Anthony Leon sucks. I have no idea what this guy was talking about. He's awful. He doesn't even get special teams time.

Archived