Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Schein Nine: Portis the early MVP (Foxsports)

Thinking Skins

I gotta say that this isnt the "hype" we've heard in the past, which has ultimately jinxed us at a team. This is different... because the team proved it BEFORE it all went down. These are not lucky wins, or by the skin of your teeth wins. Yes we didnt dominate the scoreboard, but we dominated the field. It wasn't a couple lucky bounces or turnovers, it was raw talent and ability, as well as teamwork making this.

We've faced 3 teams already who at the beginning of the season were potential superbowl contenders (NO, Dal, Phil) and we beat them up. We might not have blown them out, but we controled the game on both sides of the ball which is huge.

NO seems to be falling, and i dont know if Philly can recover from goin 0 - 2 in the NFCE, it's too tough. We now are 2 - 1 in the TOUGHEST DIVISION in football and did it handly. Now you have to wonder... if we played NYG in week 6 instead of week 1... would it be a different out come. My answer, yes. This team has gotten better EVERY week and that's all we can hope for. Best in the NFL? Yet to be determined.... better then last year? Yes.

I searched mods; if already posted, please merge or delete.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8649976

2. There are three juicy storylines with the Redskins' sensational comeback win in Philadelphia.

Washington is one of the best teams in the NFL thus far.

The Eagles choked away a lead and got manhandled at home.

Clinton Portis is the league MVP through five weeks.

Color me surprised, impressed and totally dead wrong on this Redskins team and Jim Zorn.

In a season where the Skins have dropped New Orleans and Arizona and won in Dallas, I'll make this case this was the most impressive win of the year.

Washington was down 14-0 in a blink of an eye in the first quarter after a DeSean Jackson return for a touchdown.

But then Portis (who in the NFL has played better ball in the first five weeks?) just took over. Portis and the Washington offensive line shoved around the Eagles. Portis ran for 145 yards against a defense giving up less than 60 on the ground per game. The back was tough and fresh in the fourth quarter. Portis was the best player on the field and humiliated the Eagles defense.

Zorn, once again, called a brilliant game mixing up the run and pass. He even had Antwaan Randle El throw a touchdown pass to Chris Cooley. The tight end was unstoppable with eight catches for 109 yards.

Washington's defense was incredible once again under Greg Blache. The Eagles offense was totally inept. Philadelphia was helpless on third downs.

This was a killer loss for the Eagles, who fall to 0-2 in the division and 2-3 on the season. In the NFC East, that cannot happen. And now the Eagles have to deal with Brian Westbrook's broken ribs for the San Fran game this weekend.

I love Adam Shein. He was one of the biggest critics of the F.O. after the Zorn hiring, and now is eating his crow.

He's entertaining to listen to and is man enough to admit when he was wrong about something. Thank you Shein!

Well, let's think who else it would be. Eli would probably get votes, Giants are 4-0. (They have played NOBODY except the 'Skins, but that seems to be forgotten.)

Somebody on the Titans? I can't think of ONE person on the Titans who is responsible for their success. There are a lot of folks.

Romo sits to pee? No. McNabb? No. The usual candidates: Peyton Manning (No), Tom Brady (Not so much), LT (Not this year)

Drew Breeze is leading the league in passing, but I don't see him as a front runner.

Cutler is a candidate, he's playing awesome, and if not for a completely atrocious Defense, his team would be undefeated.

Michael Turner is leading Rushing. IMO, he should get votes for what he's doing down in Atlanta, but that's still a very young team.

I don't think any of the WRs are really lined up for MVP. (Though 2 weeks ago, you could have possibly argued Moss.

Let me throw another dark horse name out there: Jason Campbell. :) If he goes through the year with less than 10 INT, the team gets 12-14 wins, he's in the discussion by default.

My current vote: Portis. All homerism aside, I think that it's the most compelling argument of production vs. impact, and the team is winning.

Second place: Cutler.

Screw Adam Schein. I'm so sick of hearing how hes "Dead Wrong" (in that horrendous, vomiting voice of his) about things. He's worthless in every way, and a complete Giant homer in a job that he is supposed have no feelings on the matter. On top of that they stick Riggins with this clown again. Schein has no mind of his own, and hangs on the jock of whichever former player he's teamed up with, most notably Riggo. He's a hypocritical fool, and I could care less what he was his thoughts on my beloved Skins would be. Just shove the crow down his throat until explodes, the world would be a much better place. That is all.

In my opinion, I think the three most performing players on the team have been: Jason Campbell, Santana Moss, and Portis. Santana and Jason are tied together in terms of success. I will give the MVP to Jason at this point. He single handedly won the Saints and Cardinals game. Has more touchdowns than Portis as well. Santana had mind blowing productions in all games we won except for Philly game. So my MVP so far is JC with Portis and Santana tied.

MVP

1. Jason Campbell

2a. Clinton Portis

2b. Santana Moss

3. London Fletcher

In my opinion, I think the three most performing players on the team have been: Jason Campbell, Santana Moss, and Portis. Santana and Jason are tied together in terms of success. I will give the MVP to Jason at this point. He single handedly won the Saints and Cardinals game. Has more touchdowns than Portis as well. Santana had mind blowing productions in all games we won except for Philly game. So my MVP so far is JC with Portis and Santana tied.

MVP

1. Jason Campbell

2a. Clinton Portis

2b. Santana Moss

3. London Fletcher

not to take anything away from Campbell... but I put Portis above him. Campbell is VERY VERY importatant and valuable to this teams success... not because of his overwelming stats, but because of his lack of stats in other categories (sacks/turnover). Each one of these guys can have a case made for them. Here's how i see it.

1. Clinton Portis - When the going gets tough... Portis closes games. On more then one occasion, Portis has MULTIPLE yards after contact... He somehow breaks out gaining much needed yards that might not have been reached if it were anyone else carrying the ball. The team is averaging over 145 yards per game, and the majority of that is portis. He's back up over 4 yards per carry, while playing 3 of the top 10 teams in the NFL (NYG, Dall, Phil). Look for Portis' numbers to SKYROCKET through the next 3 weeks.

2. Jason Campbell - He just has IT this year. The handcuffs are taken off and he looks like he's playing peewee football. He controls the ball and makes good decisions (tucking and running for a first down on 3rd and 9) VERY strong argument but i put him just a smidge behind Ports. Oh, by the way... Campbell who accounted for the most fumbles lost and plenty of INTS last year.... 0 turnovers through 5 games, and now holds the Redskins record for most attempts without a pick.... that with a 96.7 QB rating has shown why this offense is controling the clock, and winning football games.

3. Santana Moss - HE'S BAAAAACCCKKKK. His legs are under him again and he's getting behind defenses. He has his quick foot ability that can make defenders almost fall down (see Newman). Another big thing i see from him, he plays out the whole play. Numerous times Campbell has been "wrapped up" and Moss keeps playin because he knows Campbell can break away and make something happen.... oh... and he's not dropping the ball. A 15.1 yard per catch avg aint exactly something that can go without saying either. GO TANA.

4. THE WHOLE DEFENSE. If statistics determine the MVP. LOOK AT THE DEFENSE! Holding 5 playoff teams below 25 Pts, 1 of which the DEFENDING CHAMPS, and 2 others to be Superbowl Contenders. Them matched with Campbell at a + 6 turnover Differential... come on... this is what we like to see. The only thing i can say... 6 turnovers through 5 games. Not the best in the league, but i'll take it.

Archived