Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Let's give credit where it's due...Mike Sellers and others.

desertfox59

This thread if for the players who won't be getting big press but deserve the praise of the fans for the awesome 4-1 start this year, Of Whom I think Mike Sellers is the most deserving.

Over the course of the last four games Mike has turned himself into an elite run blocking Fullback in this league. Whether it be crushing defensive ends on counter tres, blowing up linebackers down field, or punishing DBs as they attempt to fill holes off tackle (like on 3rd and 1 with 49 sec left to play in the 3rd quarter), Mike has been fundamentally sound and has exicuted his blocks with precision at all levels. He and Portis/Betts have made our I-formation backs the best in the league. Coupled with an O-line that has been playing suprisingly better than usual (even Cooley has been blocking well), and the future looks good for our running game.

Way to go Mike! Keep it up! :cheers:

I'll leave the other players who deserve mention to the rest of the fans.

London Fletcher.

Today there were plays where it looked like Brian Westbrook could break wide open and give spark/life to the Eagles.

On each of those plays, London Fletcher is slamming Westbrook into the ground.

He is a player who I hope NEVER gets injured. He is SO important to the team.

Come on guys, what about Demetric Evans and H.B. Blades? Two guys filling in for all stars, all pros and they squash the run and produce enough coverage/pressure that the Eagles are completely impotent for the second and third quarters. Both these subs have come in and have been great!

On second thought, I cant think of anyone who didnt play good today (well, maybe Durant Brooks, but lets just pretend that we didnt think of him). We have a great cast of guys and were hitting on all cylinders. Not to mention, we should be 100% healthy heading into our homecoming this week!

I agree that Mike Sellars and the OL have been doing a great job. But I don't want to see this team get cute and start throwing it to Sellars like we did in the past. We are our best when everyone is doing their job. CP is the man. Sellars is the blocking beast. Betts is the relief. :2cents:

P.S. It was great seeing the rookies on the field. They are making mistakes but it is speeding up their growth which will be very valubale in the post season when injuries and depth concerns mount.

He has been elite...

All standout years for what is probably the most least glamorous position on offense, even less glamorous than that of an offensive lineman.

Exactly. Sellers has always been one of the best blocking full backs in the league. Back in 2005 he was also one of our best redzone targets in the passing game. When Sellers was out for a couple games last year, our running game production dropped a lot. Sellers hasn't stepped his game up this year, he's playing as good as he always has. I can only hope we pick up a FB capable of replacing him this offseason so he has time to train them up.

....Sellers hasn't stepped his game up this year, he's playing as good as he always has....

I've always thought that he was good, it's just he's taking his blocking to a different level this year. I think I see it most in the consistency. He's missing way less blocks this year. He's always been a punishing blocker but now he's keeping his feet better through the contact as well. It's the little things that will make a difference for this team, and Mike is just one among many who have improved at doing those little things.

1. How 'bout John Jansen, getting demoted, and then grinding back to the lineup? He had a pretty darn good day yesterday. Props to the whole O-line over the last 4 games.

2. Durant Brooks on the holds. Boy's been practicing. How responsible was he for the td return? If I recall, there are 10 other people going for tackles, too.

3. And whoever said H.B Blades...heck yeah. The defense is just playing nasty so far. Greg Blache for president.

I've been stoked since the New Orleans game, watching the D shut down player after player. Great time to be a fan.

sellers has never, ever played like this before when it comes to run blocking. he has absolutely stepped up his run blocking from previous years. i know he has been a redzone threat in the past, and thats all nice, but he's never blocked like this before.

Someone said it and it's true. Laron Landry. He has been seemingly been a ghost the past two weeks and it's a testament to just how ****ing good he is. No big plays. I can't wait until someone tries going to his side and he starts making huge plays. He's basically ST21 Jr. and that's the greatest compliment you can bestow upon a safety.

Someone said it and it's true. Laron Landry. He has been seemingly been a ghost the past two weeks and it's a testament to just how ****ing good he is. No big plays. I can't wait until someone tries going to his side and he starts making huge plays. He's basically ST21 Jr. and that's the greatest compliment you can bestow upon a safety.

I totally agree. I keep reminding myself this is only his second year. I'm just glad he got to witness Sean Taylor first hand.

Archived