Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

4th down -- Ballsy? no. Smart call? absolutely.

byelii

The reason it's called ballsy instead of smart is that the REAL smart play would have been to run it on 3rd down!! Now, that said, it would have been hard to let it get away no matter the decision. Punt would have been ok, run on 3rd, or the way it turned out, all are decent choices. But make no mistake, the correct and best call would have been to run on 3rd in that situation.

I disagree. The 3rd down call was brilliant. As I mentioned in another thread, if Samuel doesn't commit the penalty that wasn't called, Thrash is probably running free with the clinching TD. Worst case, Thrash is covered and JC throws it away.

Why would Zorn do that, when running out the clock was important? Because he knew he was going to go for it on 4th down if JC had to throw it away. After passing on 3rd, the Eagles had to be prepared for a pass on 4th. Made the run easier - in fact, it was a draw play!

If Zorn tried to pound the run on 3rd down, the Eagles were loaded up against it. Excellent calls on 3rd and 4th. Zorn is thinking ahead all the time. Doing the unexpected. Going for the kill. Being creative. It's what we've ALL been crying for for years!

The call was kind of silly. If they miss the Eagles have the ball at the 40 only needing 60 yards to win the game. If you pooch you make them go 90 yards with no timeouts.

If he did that in a playoff game and they lost he is toasted. Sometimes you haveto be conservative.

Gibbs use to be aggresive like Zorn when he was OC with the Chargers until he passed the ball deep when all they had todo was run and they ended up almost losing the game.

Zorn has no negative experiences yet to tame him. Hopefully he has none this year.

I really thought it was a smart call. I think its reasonable to assume that the 4th and short is at least a coin flip or 50/50 chance. That means half of the time, you win outright and not even take a chance, which is kinda like making it twice as unlikely for them. I'd take it because I think thats a lot more of an effect than like 20-30 extra yards for their offense to go down.

Not to overthink it but assume that phili had a 20% chance of driving 60 yards down and scoring a TD. That means if u go for the 4th down, half of the time u fail and have a 20% chance of losing, and half of the time u get it and have a 0% chance of losing, giving u a total 10% chance of losing

I don't think that making them drive 80 yards instead of 60 yards will make that big of a difference. If phili had a 20% chance of scoring at 60 yards away, I would guess that pushing them back to 80 yards away would maybe make the 20% into something like 15% but not much more chance than that.

Sorry that was probably confusing and not well explained, but just wanted to put that out there.

It was the only logical choice to be honest. If we get it we win. If we don't they still have to go 60 yards to score a TD. It's much better to take a 40% chance of winning the game there then to punt and only get an additional 20-30 yards for the Eagles to go.

You know this call can go either way. If Portis didn't get the 1st down I think there would be a thread about how it was a dumb call. I LOVE that Zorn has confidence in his team. 1 yard? Forgetaboutit!!

Great job Redskins!

I still think it would have been the correct call. You can't always go off the results to say something was really stupid or really smart. At the time it was a good call regardless of what happened.

NO QUESTION ABOUT IT, GREAT CALL. How many times have we seen a punt from the 40-45 yd line and seen a net of 20 yards after a touch back. Not to mention a return for a TD already in the game. Its called playing to win...not playing not to lose..

The bigger quesiton is what the hell happened on that 3rd and 3 play???

Go Zkins!!

I disagree. The 3rd down call was brilliant. As I mentioned in another thread, if Samuel doesn't commit the penalty that wasn't called, Thrash is probably running free with the clinching TD. Worst case, Thrash is covered and JC throws it away.

Why would Zorn do that, when running out the clock was important? Because he knew he was going to go for it on 4th down if JC had to throw it away. After passing on 3rd, the Eagles had to be prepared for a pass on 4th. Made the run easier - in fact, it was a draw play!

If Zorn tried to pound the run on 3rd down, the Eagles were loaded up against it. Excellent calls on 3rd and 4th. Zorn is thinking ahead all the time. Doing the unexpected. Going for the kill. Being creative. It's what we've ALL been crying for for years!

Archived