Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

4th down -- Ballsy? no. Smart call? absolutely.

byelii

the 4th down play has been called ballsy in numerous threads here already. IMO, this was the smart football play not the ballsy play. granted, this does not mean that a punt wouldn't have been the wimpy give-up play. it certainly would have been. this was a solid football call. the odds of a touchback were pretty good. this spots the iggles what, only 15-20 yards shy of where they'd be if we failed to convert? that's smart football.

and, since there are a number of comparison threads, last year gibbs didn't have these options. our defense last year was running on fumes by the 4th quarter. last week and this week we're looking at 38 and 34 minutes in time of possession. our D is rested. we fail to make it and we can bring a solid relatively rested D on the field to close out the game.

ballsy coaches aren't what we want. thankfully, i think we've got a smart one who sees the big picture.

If our D was on fumes in the 4th, isn't that even more of a reason to go for it?

Sorry, I don't like the backhanded "yeah, Zorn is doing the right thing but that's only because Gibbs COULDNT do it last year." No Gibbs could have done it several times in his second tenure and usually (not always) chose not to.

i definitely didn't mean it like that. you do ask a good question...don't have an answer for that. if pressed, i'd say that no, if my D is out of gas i want to give them as much yardage as possible to work with. i really just wanted to offer the opinion that it was a smart call rather than a reckless one.

I second guessed this call before it happened. I still think it's not the smartest call. BUT, given the spot on the field, it's not terrible if you don't get it, and I do like having a coach with the cajones to go for it in those situations. I mean, get it, you win, don't get, it still takes a miracle to beat you. So good for J Z, he has shown, if nothing else, he is the absolute MAN.

I do agree with you that it's a smart call. I hate TMQ usually but he is right on his analysis of coaches decisions on 4th and 1 and how it's more about their own jobs and perceptions of their coaching than ACTUALLY winning the game. 4th and 1 is obviously not guaranteed but relying on an NFL caliber team (especially a rival with a good QB) to not drive down the field and drive a stake in your heart is a worse bet. And if your D is still good, they should hold.

i think it was both ballsy and smart. ballsy in that most coaches would have opted to pooch punt it into the corner and hope to pin the eagles deep and make them drive the length of the field to try to win the game. smart in that you're not sure your rookie punter can get the job done, and with their position on the field you are only giving up 10-15 yards if you punt it into the endzone.

The reason it's called ballsy instead of smart is that the REAL smart play would have been to run it on 3rd down!! Now, that said, it would have been hard to let it get away no matter the decision. Punt would have been ok, run on 3rd, or the way it turned out, all are decent choices. But make no mistake, the correct and best call would have been to run on 3rd in that situation.

I second guessed this call before it happened. I still think it's not the smartest call. BUT, given the spot on the field, it's not terrible if you don't get it, and I do like having a coach with the cajones to go for it in those situations. I mean, get it, you win, don't get, it still takes a miracle to beat you. So good for J Z, he has shown, if nothing else, he is the absolute MAN.

Stats absolutely show it's the right call, especially given play in this game and the numbers and trends from just this day, let alone the last several years.

Unless you have a few historically great defenses (and maybe even if you do) if you have a chance to get a win with one yard or HOPE to hold on to a win in 2 minutes, you take the chance at the win.

If you kick a FG on 2nd or 3rd down in OT because you go for the WIN right there, then logic would dictate the same thing (if anything, you have more control over one yard and winning that battle than a ball being kicked.)

i have to disagree with you highonjimi but that doesn't make you wrong either ;) i loved the fact that we went for the stake through the heart on 3rd. it also tells me that jz was already ready to go for it on 4th but wanted a shot to drive in the nail. i guess i'd give that the ballsy tag :)

love what zorn is doing here. we don't have flash in the pan making wild decisions.

Play to win. Don't play not to lose. Great call!

How many freakin times have we gone in and ran 3 plays up the gut and given the other team back the ball with a chance to win? Too many. A punt could be blocked and would have only given an 18 yard advantage if it went into the end zone.

In general, I like this call--but not here, so much. Our defense was great today--they surely would have stopped the Eagles if pinned deep in their own territory. If we had missed on fourth down, then that gives the Eagles some good momentum.

Still, I'll take it.

Great call. Not really "ballsy" because you can't kick a 55 yard FG(though Suisham drilled his previous two)and a punt gets you like 10 yards of field position at best. We were pounding them up front so there was a good chance we pick up the yard and seal the deal.

I think it's a smart call if you're team has run for 200 already - even if it didn't work, I would go for 1 yard to win a game, if my team was running the ball like the Skins had

We finally have a coach that is playing to win the game. It was a good call. Portis was having a great day. Odds were in favor for making it. Zorn is proving genuis at building this teams confidence. That may be the single failure in Gibbs II. He didn't show confidence in the team, so the team never developed any.

Im loving Zorns play calling at the end of games this year. For so many years I have been frustrated at the pressure that is put on our defense at the end of games. Even after they play a great game, we force them to go out one more time, with plenty of time still on the clock, and try and stop a good offense. Im glad to see that Zorn is taking it to teams, and not even giving them the chance. First, it displays a great deal of confidence in the offense, second, im sure the defense really appreciates it as well. They busted their butt all game, now go ahead and let the offense finish off the team. for so many years our defense has been hung out to dry, and its nice to see them have a little less pressure on them.

Archived