Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN Power Rankings Week 5

NeueRedskinWelle

I understand that some people believe the rankings are fair and that the Cowboys shouldn't drop too far, but power rankings is like taking a temperature: it tells you what's going on AT THIS VERY MOMENT. It doesn't take into account the rest of the season, and the most recent games' results have a high value. Knowing this, there's no way that the Redskins, on a three game win streak against very good teams, shouldn't be above the Cowboys, who got manhandled and did not look like a very good team.

Let's not forget 2005. The Redskins were 4-2. They were coming off a 52-17 victory over the 49ers. They travel to the NY Giants as 1.5 point underdogs. The Giants win 36-0.

To me, this Eagles game looks very similar.

I see a big difference. 90% of the Skins early offensive success in 2005 was due to the Brunell to a single-covered Santana connection. Defensive adjustments were easy and obvious. The early success this year is due to the efficiency of an entire offensive scheme which promises to get better as the season progresses.

This seems to be too subjective.

Why are the Giants #1?

I am guessing it's because they won the Superbowl the previous season and they are 3-0.

Who have the Giants played? Redskins at home. Rams. And they beat the Bengals by 3 at home. To me, this is not impressive.

And that win against us was one of the more ugly wins I've seen in a while. Maybe ESPN just needs another week or two before they can figure out if any of the other undefeated teams are for real

Let's look at our fellow NFC East rivals and our respective opponents' win-loss record:

Skins: opponents win-loss record = 10-5

Eagles: opponents win-loss record = 8-8

Cowboys: opponents win-loss record = 7-8

Giants: opponents win-loss record = 3-8

It's easy to see that we've had the toughest schedule so far this season and the Giants have had the easiest. I wish we had our game against the Giants as a do-over. I'd love to give them the pounding I know we can give them now.

When we beat the Eagles this weekend, we'll be able to move on and look forward to 3 more wins before we hit the Steelers in the mouth!

Dallas is still considered the best team in the NFC. This SHOULD not change after one upset loss. The Redskins are considered an average team. This SHOULD not change after one upset victory.

Is there a certain amount of games before we can consider the Redskins a better then average team?

At what point does Dallas getting dominated at home by an average team knock them down a few pegs?

I know you are describing the view of the voters for espn but it's silly. What exactly is the point of playing the game if you shun the result?

***Power Rankings are useless but the arguments about Power Rankings are very entertaining.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfcwest/0-3-335/Power-rankings--How-the-voters-voted.html

Here is the break down of the voters for the ESPN rankings...

A 13th and a 12th vote. Epic Fail!

It is amazing that some of these people are employed. Some asshat named Tim Graham has Dallas 3 and Washington 13. Another has it Dallas 2 and Washington 12. WOW ESPN!

***Power Rankings are useless but the arguments about Power Rankings are very entertaining.

:yes:

Honestly, these are my favorite threads on this board. ALWAYS entertaining, and occasionally informative.

lol.gif

Hey, you found the OLS! You are now Captain Awesome for the day. Don't let it get to your head. :D

The perception and Power Rankings for a team SHOULD not change that much after 1 game.

Before the season started, the Patriots were predicted to go to the Superbowl. The Dolphins beat them 38-13. What does that mean? The majority will simply mark this down as a fluke.

Dallas is still considered the best team in the NFC. This SHOULD not change after one upset loss. The Redskins are considered an average team. This SHOULD not change after one upset victory.

This is why the Eagles are 6.5 point favorites. The Perception here is the Eagles are a better team than the Redskins. Also Philly deperately needs a victory, while the Redskins are coming off an emotional road division upset victory. The motivation here is with the Eagles.

Let's not forget 2005. The Redskins were 4-2. They were coming off a 52-17 victory over the 49ers. They travel to the NY Giants as 1.5 point underdogs. The Giants win 36-0.

To me, this Eagles game looks very similar.

The Eagles are 6.5 pt favorites because so many people jumped on them at 4 pt. favorites the line had to move so vegas could make money, not because they are that much better.

If we can steal a win at Philly, we are looking at a very potential 7-1 record before facing the Steelers at home. Steelers don't seem to be very scary either.

If Ifs and Buts where candy and nuts...

One game at a time. This is a HUGE game. HUGE. Biggest game of the season in the NFL. It virtually eliminates Philly from NFC East contention, and possibly knocks them out of the playoffs in week 5 if teams win the games they are supposed to win. It's HUGE. HUGE HUGE HUGE.

I do think they deserve some respect for their comeback last night, but I still think they are a team with issues.

Jason

Their offensive lines is very suspect. Plus, they have a whole bunch of key injuries that may end up really hurting them.

Archived