Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Joe Buck: bigger Boy's supporter than Aikman

artmonkforHOF

That was slightly annoying. I remember one play where Portis almost got caught for a loss of a couple yards and fought his way back for a gain of "only" four yards.

Did you hear the one when Pacman got a 4 yard punt return and Buck said "Jones with a...decent 4 yard return on the play."

My dad and I both just looked at each other and shook our heads.

Aikman is ok, but he has his moments where he sounds like all those concussions are coming back to haunt him.

That was slightly annoying. I remember one play where Portis almost got caught for a loss of a couple yards and fought his way back for a gain of "only" four yards.

I think that was the play Campbell had huge, huge pressure and dumped off to Portis like 5-6 yards behind the LoS. I remember remarking to myself that Portis turned less-than-nothing into four yards while buck downplayed the whole thing.

I wish Aikman did every Skins game. The guy just calls it like he sees it w/o a shred of partisanship. His games should be training films for other analysts.

Buck, OTOH, was obviously pumping up the media ticket in the Cowboys. It was pretty bad. I don't even necessarily think it's him being a homer, just that he only does a superficial pre-game prep. Again, it goes back to expectations - he expected the Cowboys to be the better team, so his play-by-play reflected that expectation.

Yeah this is a good point. But he way over the line most of the time.

Buck is a girlyman in the mold of Olberman, Cowturd, Costas, etc. Dude has never even put on a jockstrap but he loves sniffing them!

I don't understand that line of thinking because it falls apart so quickly.

What pro sport did Vin Scully play? Jack Buck? Harry Caray? Curt Gowdy? Dick Enberg?

There is a long list of legendary, Hall of Fame, broadcasters in a variety of sports who never played at the pro level. To call them a bunch of girls, or try to correlate broadcast excellence with their lack of on-field experience is, IMO, absurd.

There's also a long list of players who were/are *awful* broadcasters: Emmitt Smith, Dan Dierdorf, Tom Jackson, OJ Simpson, to name just a few.

Aikman is an excellent color man. He knows the game, does his homework and doesn't just follow the conventional wisdom trends as so many of the talking heads do. Buck is underwhelming. He offers little insight and is more caught up in being a "media star" than accurately calling the game. His father was the real deal...and that's a tough thing for a die hard Cubs fan to say out loud. :)

Aikman broke my heart a number of times when he was a Cowboy, but always showed class as a player, so it was harder to hate him than some of the other Cokeboys who were his teammates. :D

Wish they would pair Aikman with a really good play by play man. :cheers:

OK then try this...Buck is just a pantywaist then OK, that's my opinion.

I don't understand that line of thinking because it falls apart so quickly.

What pro sport did Vin Scully play? Jack Buck? Harry Caray? Curt Gowdy? Dick Enberg?

There is a long list of legendary, Hall of Fame, broadcasters in a variety of sports who never played at the pro level. To call them a bunch of girls, or try to correlate broadcast excellence with their lack of on-field experience is, IMO, absurd.

There's also a long list of players who were/are *awful* broadcasters: Emmitt Smith, Dan Dierdorf, Tom Jackson, OJ Simpson, to name just a few.

Archived