Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Portis running over zach thomas

NeverForget ST#21

Apparantly Clinton twisted an ankle on sunday too, not sure if this was before or after this run. Factor in the humidity and the fact he had two str8 plays to him right before the run, a pass catch and run, and he could have been a lil winded too.

The speed lost by Clinton over the years is minimal. He hung with Landry in the race (Landry was sub 4.4 btw at the combine in 07) and looked very quick on those 10/11/12/13 yd gains. He went from 205 to 221 in weight, his neck is bigger, his theighs/calfs are bigger too. So yeah, he may have lost a tad, but not that much. LJ cant be as fast as CP, and he busted that 68 yard run. Michael Turner is a chunker compared to CP, what about his long runs this year?

The difference was mentioned above. The Tampa game was one cut and dart up the field straight. THis run was off to the left, and the defenders were closing in on both sides. He did look a bit confused about what he wanted to do towards the end of the run.

http://www.redskins.com/do/videoGallery

Go to "Portis Highlight" - it happens at 0:49

Practice is one thing. Gametime is another.

I see this sometimes in youth coaching, a guy is really fast but once padded up they become slow while others don't.

Check out this video from 5 years ago:

http://s56.photobucket.com/albums/g172/whetrich/?action=view&current=portis-first-run.flv

Tell me he still has that speed.

Honestly, I think the speeds exhibited by CP in these two videos are nearly identical. He might be a tiny bit faster in the TB one, but I really don't see much of a difference as far as raw speed. As some of the other posters have said, he was more decisive on the TB one; I think that was the difference--not just a tiny difference in speed.

Te people on here who think the the CP of old would've gone to the house on that play against Dallas are wrong; there were several defenders in front of him, and no amount of speed changes that.

Te people on here who think the the CP of old would've gone to the house on that play against Dallas are wrong; there were several defenders in front of him, and no amount of speed changes that.

if several means like 1 then ok. he should of cut it to the right side of the field, his move he put on the safety didnt look good, and there was 1 or 2 guys near him when he met the safety, he coulda taken it all the way in his old days

I agree that he has lost a step...a natural thing to happen when a runner is worked as he has been worked the last few years. CP may only be 26 but in runnig back years he is closer to 30. Same thing happend to Edge after he arrived in Arizona, he is still very good just not the same back he was 4-5 years ago. Having said that the man is still a beast and I love that he plays for our team.

He still has his speed IMO but he's definitely lost some shiftiness. He didnt even really try to juke the last guy. Just slightly changed direction.

Well. He didn't have a WR blocking downfield.....In Denver Rod, and ED were great @ that, but they were bigger guys, so That gave him more lanes, on that Play Devin didn't hit anybody.....

if several means like 1 then ok. he should of cut it to the right side of the field, his move he put on the safety didnt look good, and there was 1 or 2 guys near him when he met the safety, he coulda taken it all the way in his old days
I think that's what he tried to do, but he waited a bit too long to make his move, which underscores what I said about him being a bit less decisive on that run than the TB run. There's no way to know for sure if the old CP would've made it all the way, but I don't think he would've.

i was under this same impression though. When he got that pitch play on the fake reverse i was waiting for him to take it up a gear. I really thought he was gonna go all the way. Comparing that run with the run against Tampa, it looks like he has lost a step. i don't think he is a worse running back because of that because he gets all the hard yards and gets first downs on second efforts but it does mean he is not a homerun hitter anymore.

agree...everyone seems to be in denial about this... portis has lost speed, but that doesn;t mean he's less efeective runner...just dal with it guys, portis isnt as fast as he used to be

its not that he lost speed, but his playing speed is slower. i know that sounds weird, but its not that he has lost a step. he now plays like a power back instead of a home run hitter.

its clear that hed rather get 1st downs then try to get on sportscenter. he still hits the holes fast as ****, esp for someone who bulked up by like 15-20 pounds since he signed here.

i hate that people make it seem like hes not in his prme. cp this year has been playing as good as anyone in the league. thus why the giants stacked the box against us.

Here is the line where Ellis got injured:

Later in the 3rd Quarter

2-7-WAS 23 (4:33) 26-C.Portis left end to WAS 36 for 13 yards (56-B.James; 26-K.Hamlin). Ellis of Dallas was shaken up on the play.

EDIT I dont think that was the play where Portis hit Ellis. I think this was Portis's trucking of Thomas.

Ellis also got injured a little later - i am looking for it

His speed had nothing to do with not scoring on the long run after the fake reverse. He waited half a second too long to make his cut inside. He waited until the safety, who took a good angle, was right him. If he made the cut a little sooner, he would've had the safety leaning outside and would've taken to the house.

The other injury I was I looking for was to Ware, not Ellis.

Portis rang Ware's bell big time. When they come back from the commercial to start the 4th, they are giving Ware the finger in front of the eyes (DWI) test. A play later they showed the replay.

1-10-DAL 44 (:12) 26-C.Portis up the middle to DAL 38 for 6 yards (94-D.Ware).

END QUARTER 3

That is not gif worthy but was a stud play nonetheless that got little to no recognition.

Portis is a monster folks he is even bigger this year. No worries about his speed. We have no speed scat back by choice. He is an all-down number one now.

I don't think he's lost a step, I think that step has changed from a 5th gear to shifting in to 4x4 mode. Instead of worrying about his speed, he's worked on his power.

I love the way you put this.

Portis came here and gave his glory years, his best as a running back, on the back burner to become the type of back Gibbs wanted him to be.

And he never complained either. He just went to work and put this team on his back.

I think he would have HOF numbers if he never left Denver, but has been the workhorse we have needed to ride and we have done just that.

I think Portis gets slightly injured when he gets "winded". He plays like a middle linebacker. I dont know if he makes the call when Betts comes into the game or not but he is getting lots of carries. I think Portis has two minor injuries now i cant remember where i heard it (yeah i know all players have minor injuries)

I dont remember the Witten crybaby play

I love the way you put this.

Portis came here and gave his glory years, his best as a running back, on the back burner to become the type of back Gibbs wanted him to be.

And he never complained either. He just went to work and put this team on his back.

I think he would have HOF numbers if he never left Denver, but has been the workhorse we have needed to ride and we have done just that.

Who says he still cant be that HOF RB? He will most likely reach 9,000 yards by the end of the season, he already eclipsed 8000. And, he just turned 27! Sure his numbers could have been greater, but they still can be great overall.

I think Portis gets slightly injured when he gets "winded". He plays like a middle linebacker. I dont know if he makes the call when Betts comes into the game or not but he is getting lots of carries. I think Portis has two minor injuries now i cant remember where i heard it (yeah i know all players have minor injuries)

I dont remember the Witten crybaby play

Neck soreness from the cardinals game, and he twisted an ankle this week.

Portis didnt lose a step the field was to slippery for him to really make a cut and take to the house. I must say though that I think his vision has gone down a bit. I seen plenty plays this season where if he would have taken it to the outside he would have had more yards. On that long run had he tried to cut back a little earlier he would have got at least another 20.

Archived