Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

New Chevrolet Corvette ZR-1

Ned Flanders

ONLY Dodge could build a V-10 that makes less power than a V-8. :doh:

I'd take the ZR1 over the Viper any day of the week.

uh, try a v10 that makes less power then a supercharged v8. nice try at making the viper look bad though. throw a blower on the viper and you have more power then you ever need in your lifetime. every heard of the hennesy viper? yeah 1000 horsepower, and it is quicker to 200 miles an hour then the bugatti veyron.

uh, try a v10 that makes less power then a supercharged v8. nice try at making the viper look bad though. throw a blower on the viper and you have more power then you ever need in your lifetime. every heard of the hennesy viper? yeah 1000 horsepower, and it is quicker to 200 miles an hour then the bugatti veyron.

I figured somebody will bring up the supercharged argument.

OK how about this:

Corvette Z06 (Naturally aspirated)

Power: 505 hp

Displacement: 7.0L

Weight: 3132 Lbs.

Dodge Vipter (Naturally aspirated)

Power: 600 hp

Displacement: 8.4L

Weight: 3460 Lbs.

That gives us:

Corvette:

Power per liter: 72.12 Hp/L

Power per pound: 6.2 Hp/Lb

0-60: 3.6 sec.

Viper:

Power per liter: 71.43 Hp/L

Power per pound: 5.77 Hp/Lb

0-60: 3.5 sec.

The Corvette has more power per liter and pound. These number only apply to the 2008 and up Viper because the older ones only had 510 hp and were slower than the Z06. Yes it's .1 sec slower to 60 but I'd trade that any day to not drive a Dodge.

The Viper is only for people who care about numbers, not people who actually care about how a car drives when they are behind the wheel. Seriously, what are you going to do with a car that makes 1000 Hp? Smoke the wheels until 4th gear? Have fun buying new tires for that puppy.

Corvette ZR1 rules all!

I figured somebody will bring up the supercharged argument.

OK how about this:

Corvette Z06 (Naturally aspirated)

Power: 505 hp

Displacement: 7.0L

Weight: 3132 Lbs.

Dodge Vipter (Naturally aspirated)

Power: 600 hp

Displacement: 8.4L

Weight: 3460 Lbs.

That gives us:

Corvette:

Power per liter: 72.12 Hp/L

Power per pound: 6.2 Hp/Lb

0-60: 3.6 sec.

Viper:

Power per liter: 71.43 Hp/L

Power per pound: 5.77 Hp/Lb

0-60: 3.5 sec.

The Corvette has more power per liter and pound. These number only apply to the 2008 and up Viper because the older ones only had 510 hp and were slower than the Z06. Yes it's .1 sec slower to 60 but I'd trade that any day to not drive a Dodge.

The Viper is only for people who care about numbers, not people who actually care about how a car drives when they are behind the wheel. Seriously, what are you going to do with a car that makes 1000 Hp? Smoke the wheels until 4th gear? Have fun buying new tires for that puppy.

Corvette ZR1 rules all!

i need 1000 horsepower to beat the zr1 thats the point. :doh:

the corvette is for middle aged guys trying to look cool. vipers are more exclusive and are usually bought by guys who actually know something about their cars and know how to change their own oil.

I have a buddy of mine who rebuilt a 1964 corvette in his garage a five years ago. He took his newly rebuilt car out to get dynatested. While he was there he saw another professional getting his car dynatested and fell in love with the guys work on the spot.

He ended up giving the guy his newly rebuilt car on the spot to totally rebuild. Five years latter and 240,000 dollars they dude has created a monster. His new car is 1100 hp, and can theoretically top out at 300+ mph...

They're entering it in the Detroit auto show next spring... The guy is already feilding offers from the Middle East and Far east from guys who want to buy his car. He still hasn't driven it himself.

I look at that car and think to myself... I'd kill myself in a matter of minutes driving that beast....

the corvette is for middle aged guys trying to look cool. vipers are more exclusive and are usually bought by guys who actually know something about their cars and know how to change their own oil.

Oh please. Just stop. You sound like some kind of car bigot. :doh: The Viper is for people who like their cars a little more "raw". The Ford GT is the retro exotic and again is raw. Both of these cars are less friendly to daily driving than the vette. The vette is more refined (for an american car) and polished for daily driving. The standard vette is a sweet performance car at a bargain price. More power to anyone who can afford one. The ZR1 is an exotic that is not for the average guy. It's the ultimate Corvette for Corvette lovers. It may very well be the fastest corvette that is, or will ever be produced.

Bottom line. They are all awesome cars and I would love to have any of them. But if I had my choice... I would rather have a Porsche.

Oh please. Just stop. You sound like some kind of car bigot. :doh: The Viper is for people who like their cars a little more "raw". The Ford GT is the retro exotic and again is raw. Both of these cars are less friendly to daily driving than the vette. The vette is more refined (for an american car) and polished for daily driving. The standard vette is a sweet performance car at a bargain price. More power to anyone who can afford one. The ZR1 is an exotic that is not for the average guy. It's the ultimate Corvette for Corvette lovers. It may very well be the fastest corvette that is, or will ever be produced.

Bottom line. They are all awesome cars and I would love to have any of them. But if I had my choice... I would rather have a Porsche.

I have a great uncle down in Arkansas who retired from the Airforce in the early 80's. Flew bombing missions in both the pacific and Europe during WWII. The guy turned 85 this year, just went out and bought a corvette for himself. His wife also in her mid 80's won't ride with him.... Cause the wind blows her hair and she has a hard time getting into it cause it's so low to the ground..

My buddy with the rebuilt corvette is definitely a middle aged dude.

I have a question for big#44, The corvette is for Middle aged dudes? Are their young people who can afford these toys? None of these cars are practical transportation. I think you must be doing pretty well to afford them in your middle age, I can't imagine many young people able to buy them... Then again, I'm an old fart.

Vipers are most certainly also bought by middle age guys who wan't to look cool too. While the Corvette is the ultimate mid-life crisis car, the Viper isn't far behind.

The thing that Corvette owners enjoy is the fact that they won't have to know the ins and outs of their car, they won't have to worry about knowing how to fix it. Face it, the Viper is built by Dodge. Dodge has a notoriously bad track record when it comes to long term quality.

I have a buddy who's dad gave him (yes, gave him!) a Viper when he was 21. He wanted something better than the Viper, he wanted a Corvette Z06. Needless to say, less than 3 months after he got the car (with only about 40K on the odometer) he needed an O2 sensor, for $1500. Pretty ridiculous for a car that somebody paid $75K for.

if i want to find a corvette all i have to do is drive around my neighborhood and ill find over 10. if i want to find a viper, i need to go to a car show or the dealership. viper owners for the most part are car enthusiast with a passion. id say 75% of corvette owners but them cause they look nice, and just because its a corvette. the other 25 are the passionate guys. corvettes are a dime a dozen because they're cheaper. maybe im weird because i like a car thats more rare and you dont see them on the road constantly.

if i want to find a corvette all i have to do is drive around my neighborhood and ill find over 10. if i want to find a viper, i need to go to a car show or the dealership. viper owners for the most part are car enthusiast with a passion. id say 75% of corvette owners but them cause they look nice, and just because its a corvette. the other 25 are the passionate guys. corvettes are a dime a dozen because they're cheaper. maybe im weird because i like a car thats more rare and you dont see them on the road constantly.

Which is what makes the ZR1 so special. Those won't be a dime a dozen. Quite honestly, I'd rather own a ZR1 than a Ferrari now. Realistically, I won't own either vehicles but ANY Ferrari would have been my car of choice before the ZR1. The ZR1 is a special car, a very special car.

oh ok. last time i checked you cant carry a family of 4/5 in a corvette. or 200 bucks worth of grocerys. it is not an everything car. turbo 4 bangers are everything cars. the mercedes m3 is a very fast everything car. the corvette is a sports car whether you want to admit or not. its a car douche bags buy when they need to show off their social status (not saying all owners are douche bags). the viper is a drivers car, a racers car. someone who loves to drive, and not someone who just wants to go to the track once a year and show off their rims. mind you the viper is still under 100 grand, while the zr1 is well over.

and magazine tests are biased. anyone who pays attention and knows anything about cars can see that. car and driver and those magazines are in love with gm right now. they cant do wrong according to those writers, while anyone with any reading comprehension and common sense can see the bias.

oh and i wouldnt hold my breath on gm accepting the challenge.

What I meant about everything car is it will run on the road track, drag strip, highway, back country roads, take you to work and take you out on the weekend, not that it is a SUV. I did not realize I needed to spell everything out for you.:rolleyes: The Viper is like driving a really fast 1975 Plymouth.

Funny how Viper guys always boast when they win compairisons and claim bias when they loose. If they are all so biased then why are you so concerned with GM having a showdown with the Viper? When they do one and the Viper is crushed let me know what your excuse will be then.

Another GM rattle-trap POS. Try a real car...

ford-gt.jpg

You are joking, right? These things are the biggest POS Ford has made. They catch on fire all the time.

Um, how about the latest Lingenfelter Corvette that set the record for 0-200 on street tires (beating the hennesy) and it has the boost turned down?

And Vipers are for 18 year old rich kids that don't know the head from their Ass.

The ZR1 is different. I doubt you will see one around every corner. While the Viper is a great car in its own right it is not as refined as a ZR1 and while a ACR is a BEAST of a car it is not a street car.

Why don't we take the Viper race car and slap some DOTs on it and a catalytic converter to say we are faster on a track than the ZR1? Oh wait, they did.

Archived