Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Joe T. Take on the Mitchell-Portis flap

ccsl2

You mean the season where Portis got hurt in the first pre-season game and sat out the rest of training camp and was not in game shape and broke a long run and got winded at the end, oh yea he just gave up right..... if you dont think Portis is dying to break 70 yard touchdown runs then your crazy.

I'm sure he is. Look, I love CP. I hope he's a Redskin for life. But, if you are honest, you have to admit something. The Portis that took that first carry to the house against Tampa is not the one running today. He doesn't have that break away speed. LT or Peterson are GONE on that run against the Giants.

Again, I'm not bashing Portis, but he doesn't have break away speed. Could he break one if the blocking is there? Sure. Will he take one to the house because he outruns the D with pure speed. Nope.

Hasn't Portis been run down from behind because he ran out of gas...I remember, I think it was the Texans game a year or two ago, when he flat out just gave up.

You do realize that Portis had 2 TD's in that game, 86 yards rushing, and 78 yards receiving including a 74 yarder on a screen where Portis basically made the entire play himself.

Joey T has really come around and I couldnt be happier. I hope he settles in to the Redskins family broadcasting but I will miss his knowledge on MNF. I wonder how him and Jaws would have done together.

Too True. I just wish they had kicked out Tony K instead of Joe. :doh:

That little imp gets on my nerves soooo badly while watching MNF, it's almost enough to make me not want to watch it.

I'm sure he is. Look, I love CP. I hope he's a Redskin for life. But, if you are honest, you have to admit something. The Portis that took that first carry to the house against Tampa is not the one running today. He doesn't have that break away speed. LT or Peterson are GONE on that run against the Giants.

Again, I'm not bashing Portis, but he doesn't have break away speed. Could he break one if the blocking is there? Sure. Will he take one to the house because he outruns the D with pure speed. Nope.

Alot of that has to do with how much Portis changed his running style when he initially came to Washington. While I love that Portis is here, it still kinda befuddles me that Coach Gibbs brought him here with the intention of using him as a power back, when we could have maybe drafted one instead.

I think with him changing his body weight, his running style, and the wear and tear from the '04 and '05 seasons have really brought down his break away speed. Still, there aren't many backs in the NFL I'd rather have over good ol' CP. :)

Alot of that has to do with how much Portis changed his running style when he initially came to Washington. While I love that Portis is here, it still kinda befuddles me that Coach Gibbs brought him here with the intention of using him as a power back, when we could have maybe drafted one instead.

I think with him changing his body weight, his running style, and the wear and tear from the '04 and '05 seasons have really brought down his break away speed. Still, there aren't many backs in the NFL I'd rather have over good ol' CP. :)

You guys remember CP raced Landry, in a tossup, last spring?? Pretty impressive to me.

Good read. Like a lot of would be analysts Bmitch seems to jump on any topic regardless of the scope of work (and does so in a totally condescending tone like he's the for most authority). He criticized the team for being out of shape on opening day saying they were gasping for air and going for the oxygen.......well did you care to look across the field and see the Giants players doing the exact same thing if not worse. This comes after what most players say was the most intense camp they've had in years. However Bmitch to make some throws it out like it’s the root cause of everything.

As far as CP, he definitely was given some slack during the Gibbs era, but Zorn I think has done a really good job of saying look, I respect your a great talent and I don't want to see you injured during the preseason either.....but you have to get some work in to be part of this offense....you know what fair enough. One thing I do know is that CP has put up really good number since he's been here (maybe not LT numbers but in 6 seasons to have gone past 1250 yards ever year except for an injury year is hardly to be scoffed at). This is also a player that has put in serious offseason time in the weight room to take the kind of punishment that comes with playing in the NFC east. Yeah he's got his antics, but I never question is commitment when he's on the field. And for anyone to question when a RB should or should not pull themselves out of the game is just stupid. Any coach can say a player can't pull himself out, but I see RB's and WR's all over the league waving to sidelinse for a replacement and they are not criticized.

This stuff is pure gold. :)...

Abso-freakin'-lutely. I love these interviews with the old-school guys, the little tidbits they give up:

"Oh yeah," Theismann said. "They had their ashtrays. Pat's fingers were so yellow from smoking. He used to take Tuff Skin--he didn't wear a mouthpiece--he'd tuck it down in his lip like you put in snuff or something, that's what [he'd use]. And when he'd hit people, he'd bite on the Tuff Skin. And he'd drink orange Gatorade, and he'd look like this monster, he'd have this crap running out of his mouth. Oh yeah. It was a whole different [world].

Now that's definitely something you don't hear every day.

Yeah, Kornheiser really dosen't know much about the game and makes some pretty stupid comments. When it doesn't relate to football he can be pretty entertaining. I think Joe T. and Jaws would have been good together. I'll probably get ripped for saying this by some of you goons but I hope Joe gets the radio job when Sonny retires.

I am with you on that one and I hope that Riggo gets the other slot if and when Sam retires.

Listen to BMitch sometime. Does not matter who it is, if the skins have a hard time (like any other team) he says they are nothing and continues to do so. If they do well it appears that somehow he finds a way to disrespect them, or grudgingly gives respect.

Czabe and Pollin, and BMitch all tear down the skins and really do not analyze the strenghts and weaknesses.

Doc is very good. But, most times I turn the radio to another station when the others are on. Because on their bile, I cannot even trust their other "analyses" on other teams, so I have to often turn them off when they go on & on with criticism.

I don't see it as them tearing down the Redskins. They aren't earlly building them up either but hey.

They aren't going to drink the koolaid and wear Burgundy and gold sunglasses during their analysis.

In BMitch I saw him comparing how much work they did in the preseason when he played to how lax they were last year and to an extent this year as far as reps during the game and yeah last year.

He was right to point out how several regular saeson games into the season it looked like portis finally hadregular season legs and in the Giants game he did looked gassed after the 9 yd run.

Portis needs to be less thin skinned and let his performance on the field this year do the talking.

Joey T has really come around and I couldnt be happier. I hope he settles in to the Redskins family broadcasting but I will miss his knowledge on MNF. I wonder how him and Jaws would have done together.

they got rid of him for JAWS because the broadcast teams consists of a play by play, a commentator, and a analyist, and Joey T and Jaws are bpoth analyists/

Archived