Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Joe T. Take on the Mitchell-Portis flap

ccsl2

so if he doesnt do that he is no good?

1262 yards and 11 TDs says otherwise.

thats almost a touchdown a game..

LOL...wow...dude I NEVER said he was no good...We gave up A LOT for a back who at the time was breakin long runs....when he felt like it...now he gets into the secondary and trips or gets caught...long runs can DEMORALIZE a defense and we are not doing it.....overall stats are great...but big plays make it happen......and the whole thing about not being in the game with the game on the line against the Giants last year....is just too much....what big time player would CHOOSE not to be in the game in that situation.

He should have scored.

Did you mean Dorsett?

nope. he meant Dickerson. Your generation has only seen the Dorsett highlight b/c that's the first one always shown when re-capping DG's career. that, and the punt return against Chicago.

I forget the exact year, but DG also caught Erick Dickerson from WAY behind when Dickerson was generally regarded as the fastest back in the game. The run was somewhere around 80 yards for E.D. and DG caught him I think around the 5-10 yard line.

LOL...wow...dude I NEVER said he was no good...We gave up A LOT for a back who at the time was breakin long runs....when he felt like it...now he gets into the secondary and trips or gets caught...long runs can DEMORALIZE a defense and we are not doing it.....overall stats are great...but big plays make it happen......and the whole thing about not being in the game with the game on the line against the Giants last year....is just too much....what big time player would CHOOSE not to be in the game in that situation.

we gave up a CB who was going to leave anyways!! Bailey wasnt going to stay in DC and he made no bones in saying it outloud.

I hope you never mess anything up bro because you sure are quick to criticize someone who has done more for us since Riggo was in the backfield.

The link initially posted in that thread has been removed from YouTube. The link below has both the Dorsett run as well as the Dickerson run:

thanks, i cant check youtube from here and it was just a thread i had found on here.

i remember that run like it was yesterday. the announcers were all but ready to yell TOUCHDOWN when a burgundy and gold streak came out and tackled him.

and i wonder why they dont show that in his highlight package. it is just as important as any other things he did..

when I was a kid he would barely even acknowledge you. This is all new for him...

Really? When I was a kid I remember he came over to our table at his restaurant and carried on a conversation with my Dad about the Skins, etc. Great guy and very personable. Then again he was at his restaurant and greeting guests. :D

Really? When I was a kid I remember he came over to our table at his restaurant and carried on a conversation with my Dad about the Skins, etc. Great guy and very personable. Then again he was at his restaurant and greeting guests. :D

i remember his resturaunt. not a bad place.

he wasnt cool at all and most people i knew who ever met him said he was a prick.

I met him at his restaurant back in the 80's. He was really friendly. I told him how I was there at RFK for his first home start against Kansas City in 1976. He remembered the score and how KC came back and won 33-30 and a bunch of other stuff I'd forgotten about. It was a pretty cool conversation.

Somehow I can't picture Joe, Riggo, Moseley and Monk sitting around drinking cocoa and watching soap operas. Too funny.

Wow Theismann was dead on. He really hit the nail on the head. The thing that agitated me the most about the B-Mitch/Portis confrontation was when B-Mitch said that Portis was out of shape. Portis had the most carries in the league last year and he has Betts behind him. Ladell has shown than he can carry the rock 20 to 25 times a game if necessary. If Clinton was as out of shape as he claims, he wouldn't have had so many carries with some one like Ladell behind him.

A-Freakin'-Amen!

Come on dude....he got ran down by one of the fastest men ever to play football....

Right...not to mention that running backs get run down all the time. RB's generally aren't the fastest guys on the field either, their durable and shifty. Running backs get hit on every play of the game, more than once. If they are carrying the ball they'll probably have three different guys laying wood on them, if their not carrying the ball their blocking... So yeah, their gonna run out of steam...

Portis had 1,262 yards last year and 11 touchdowns on a team that had NO serious threats in the passing game other than Cooley. The line was spotty, the defense rarely caused turnovers to give the offense good field position.

In any other city, fans and media would point to Portis as an ASSET and look to improve the REST of the team :D

"Oh God, what drills?" Theismann said. "Our weight room consisted of a universal gym. Guys used to walk in, walk by and say, 'Oh, what a workout!' The things today, 10,000-square foot weight rooms? Ours was probably 600 square feet. Why take up good space for weights. I sat between Mike Bass and Pat Fischer; first day of practice, both of 'em come from practice and they light up cigarettes."

In the locker room?

"Oh yeah," Theismann said. "They had their ashtrays. Pat's fingers were so yellow from smoking. He used to take Tuff Skin--he didn't wear a mouthpiece--he'd tuck it down in his lip like you put in snuff or something, that's what [he'd use]. And when he'd hit people, he'd bite on the Tuff Skin. And he'd drink orange Gatorade, and he'd look like this monster, he'd have this crap running out of his mouth. Oh yeah. It was a whole different [world].

This stuff is pure gold. :)

For those of you STILL complaining about Portis' production, let me just point out that since coming to the Redskins Portis has averaged 84.1 rushing yards a game. That would put him 11th on the ALL TIME list. Ahead of guys like, oh, Emmitt Smith, Curtis Martin, OJ Simpson, Earl Campbell, and current players like Larry Johnson, Willie Parker, Frank Gore, Steven Jackson, Rudi Johnson ...

And that's if you don't count his years in Denver.

The guy is a pretty good back.

nope. he meant Dickerson. Your generation has only seen the Dorsett highlight b/c that's the first one always shown when re-capping DG's career. that, and the punt return against Chicago.

I forget the exact year, but DG also caught Erick Dickerson from WAY behind when Dickerson was generally regarded as the fastest back in the game. The run was somewhere around 80 yards for E.D. and DG caught him I think around the 5-10 yard line.

Don't forget about Jermain Crowell of the Lions WR, Napoleon Kaufman RB of the Raiders, Curtin Martin when he was with the Patriots and Jerry Rice. DG Green walked all of these cats down.

Archived