Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CBS SPORTS: Beastly East proving to be more than class of the NFC

doncherry

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10980493

[/url]

If it wasn't clear Monday afternoon, it is 24 hours later: The NFC East is far and away the best division in the NFL.

Defending champion Dallas is at the top of most power rankings these days, and the Cowboys aren't the reigning Super Bowl champions. The New York Giants are, and I don't need to tell you where they are.

They're undefeated.

The NFC East is 6-2, and that's only because Washington lost to the Giants and Philadelphia lost to Dallas. Now look what happens when you go outside the division: Philadelphia clobbers St. Louis; the Giants torch the Rams; Dallas toys with Cleveland and Washington rallies to overcome New Orleans.

That's 4-0 by a combined score of 136-50, and it's proof that Joaquin Miller had it right when he wrote, "that good is good from east to east."

Look, I don't know much about Miller, either, and I probably care only slightly more than you. But I do care about a division that just gave us a memorable Monday night track meet and keeps reminding us that conversations about the balance of power in the NFC start here.

You can talk about the AFC South, but it's hard to make a case with Jacksonville off to an 0-2 start, David Garrard dodging pass rushers and Fred Taylor and Maurice Jones-Drew averaging 2.8 yards a carry and failing to combine ... combine ... for 100 yards.

Then, of course, there's Houston, and I'll always take the fourth-best team in the NFC East over the Texans. Of course, I'll always take the fourth-best team in the NFC East over the weak link in any division.

Kansas City? Oakland? Miami? Detroit? St. Louis? You name it, I'll trump it with the NFC East.

img10980526.jpg Eli Manning and Brandon Jacobs give the Giants a lot of firepower. (Getty Images) A year ago the division gave us three playoff teams, with Philadelphia left home. Now the Eagles are vastly improved, with Donovan McNabb looking like the quarterback who two years ago drew MVP attention before he suffered a season-ending injury.

But he's not the best quarterback in the NFC East. Tony Romo sits to pee is. Or maybe it's Eli Manning. All I know is Manning has one Super Bowl ring the others don't and a 1.000 batting average when it comes to the playoffs, taking the Giants to three postseason appearances in three years as the full-time starter.

Tell me another division that has a better collection of quarterbacks than Manning, Romo sits to pee, McNabb and Jason Campbell. You can't. All have passer ratings this season of 93 or better, with 13 touchdowns and three interceptions.

Manning is the NFL's fourth-quarter passing leader. Romo sits to pee is its third-down passing leader. The Eagles lead the league in passing. Dallas is third. The Eagles are second in scoring. Dallas is fourth.

You get the idea. The NFC East is a cornerback's graveyard.

Now let's look at how these guys run the ball which, after all, is supposed to be a benchmark for championship teams. The Giants' Brandon Jacobs is the league's sixth-best rusher, averaging 5.8 yards a carry. Washington's Clinton Portis ranks ninth, Philadelphia's Brian Westbrook 14th and the Cowboys' Marion Barber 15th.

But Westbrook leads the league in scoring. Barber is second. And the two are tied for the lead in first downs.

Everywhere you look someone is getting called to the head of the class. Terrell Owens is tied for the league lead in touchdowns for wide receivers. The Giants' Plaxico Burress is second in receptions. The Cowboys' Jason Witten leads all tight ends in catches. The Giants' Domenik Hixson is the leader in punt returns. Cowboys rookie Felix Jones is the leader in kickoff returns. The Giants' Justin Tuck is second in sacks. The Redskins' Chris Horton is tied for second in interceptions.

Enough already. I get it, I get it. The NFC East is a beast again, with the conference's top three teams (sorry, Green Bay) and three of its best four quarterbacks. You win the division, you should win the conference. And if you don't ...

Somebody else in the NFC East will win it for you. It happened last year, and it should happen again.

Guest sith lord
I love how we are in the NFC East. It's like the ACC of basketball. It's a totally different ballgame here, and having the Skins in the same division as the Eags, Boys and Giants, it just make us play harder to keep pace with them, as I'm sure the same can be said for all NFC East teams.

But it will be even better when the rest of the division has to play hard to keep up with us for a change.

I love how we are in the NFC East. It's like the ACC of basketball. It's a totally different ballgame here, and having the Skins in the same division as the Eags, Boys and Giants, it just make us play harder to keep pace with them, as I'm sure the same can be said for all NFC East teams.
But it will be even better when the rest of the division has to play hard to keep up with us for a change.

Agree on both counts. I remember when WE were the class of the East, and it was then just as now the best division in the NFL. Be nice to get back to that level again -

I'm still not sure what the Giants are. They haven't played very tough competition yet and this soft schedule may actually hurt them. It could make them think something they aren't yet. And with so many "easy" games, it increases the chances of them slipping up and getting beat by someone they shouldn't be beat by. Even with two good wins under their belts, I'm still worried and still reserving judgment on what the Giants are.

;5553705']I'm still not sure what the Giants are. They haven't played very tough competition yet and this soft schedule may actually hurt them. It could make them think something they aren't yet. And with so many "easy" games' date=' it increases the chances of them slipping up and getting beat by someone they shouldn't be beat by. Even with two good wins under their belts, I'm still worried and still reserving judgment on what the Giants are.[/quote']

I was thinking about that today as well. The Giants IMO have had the easiest opening schedule of any of the teams in the NFCE. Granted, they have looked very good so far, but I still don't know what to think of them as well.

;5553705']I'm still not sure what the Giants are. They haven't played very tough competition yet and this soft schedule may actually hurt them. It could make them think something they aren't yet. And with so many "easy" games' date=' it increases the chances of them slipping up and getting beat by someone they shouldn't be beat by. Even with two good wins under their belts, I'm still worried and still reserving judgment on what the Giants are.[/quote']

I think - at the least - the Giants are still a very good team.

Oh boy, 4-0! Granted, I think the NFC east is perhaps the strongest division in football, but 4-0 including 2 wins against the Rams and one against Cleveland is not exactly surprising.

Yeah if they weren't JUST wins. They were absolute blow outs. Browns game wasn't as bad, but they still got walked all over. The rams game ?:laugh:

It's a three team race in my opinion...

Cowboys, Eagles, and the Redskins...

The Giants are vastly overrated. As long as Eli Manning is their QB, expect them to have an 8-8ish season...

I'm not sure why people don't respect Eli more. He's consistently brought that team to the playoffs and last year he broke through and was a large part of the Giants' success. I think he's a good QB....

I'm not sure why people don't respect Eli more. He's consistently brought that team to the playoffs and last year he broke through and was a large part of the Giants' success. I think he's a good QB....

Eli Manning hasn't done anything to LEAD the Giants into the playoffs...

He has done what Trent Dilfer did with the Ravens...

Eli Manning doesn't sniff past the Cowboys if it weren't for Justin Tuck, Osi Umenyiora, and Michael Strahan...

You can say whatever you want, 'Eli has arrived, a star is born, etc,' but the fact is that he is an average and inconsistant QB.

Eli is the weakest link on the Giants...

No one will, nor should, take the Giants as a serious contender with Eli as the QB...

Haven't played "very tough competition?" You must be devastated by getting held to 16 points by a "soft" opponent. Get real - Skins defense is still strong. Our offense definitely struggled against you, but our defense laid the smack down. :silly:

just asking....is this a serious post?

What have the Giants done to make you think that they're going to be there until the end?

Justin Tuck and the defense? I give you that!

Offensive line and the running game? I give you that also...

But no matter what you throw at me, I'll just say "Eli Manning..."

If the Giants had a legit QB, they'd be talked about as a Superbowl contender...

Eli Manning = Average, inconsistant QB...

Eli Manning hasn't done anything to LEAD the Giants into the playoffs...

He has done what Trent Dilfer did with the Ravens...

Eli Manning doesn't sniff past the Cowboys if it weren't for Justin Tuck, Osi Umenyiora, and Michael Strahan...

You can say whatever you want, 'Eli has arrived, a star is born, etc,' but the fact is that he is an average and inconsistant QB.

Eli is the weakest link on the Giants...

No one will, nor should, take the Giants as a serious contender with Eli as the QB...

come on ....i am no Giants fan, however lets not change history, and try to use some objectives.....

Eli in the playoffs 2007 72-119 854 yards 6 TD and 1 pick.

VS 4 really good teams (Tampa, Dallas, GB and 18-0 NE) :doh:

say what you will.......but Eli of 08 is not the Eli of 06....dude has arrived and deserves to be praised :2cents:

What have the Giants done to make you think that they're going to be there until the end?

Justin Tuck and the defense? I give you that!

Offensive line and the running game? I give you that also...

But no matter what you throw at me, I'll just say "Eli Manning..."

If the Giants had a legit QB, they'd be talked about as a Superbowl contender...

Eli Manning = Average, inconsistant QB...

and Romo sits to pee is ordinary........:doh: Little kitten meet TR1...now the two of you should start your own blogs!

come on ....i am no Giants fan, however lets not change history, and try to use some objectives.....

Eli in the playoffs 2007 72-119 854 yards 6 TD and 1 pick.

VS 4 really good teams (Tampa, Dallas, GB and 18-0 NE) :doh:

say what you will.......but Eli of 08 is not the Eli of 06....dude has arrived and deserves to be praised :2cents:

No one is denying that Eli Manning performed well in last years play-offs...

But to people who claim that Eli Manning was a big part or the sole reason for their success is plain out ignorant...

He was to the Giants what Trent Dilfer was to the Ravens in 2000...

Archived