Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per 980: Horton will not start on Sunday

BleedinBurgNGold

Thoughts on Cowboy Eagle MNF game.  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Thoughts on Cowboy Eagle MNF game.

• It was a good game. Maybe even a great game. Romo is dreamy.
    • Cowboys defense was terrible.
    • Eagles defense was terrible.
    • Both the Eagles and Cowboys suck. Not because of this game, but in general.
    • I want a cake that says the Cowboys & Eagles suck on it.

First I would like to say i'm not dissing Horton in any way...

But the turnovers were the result of him being near the ball. GREAT JOB by HORTON, however, the people who forced the fumble and the balls flying in the air deserve more credit than Horton...

I would say his playing time/packages he's in goes up however...

This is somewhat true, but how many times have we seen someone cause a fumble only to be recovered by the other team, or a pass batted in the air only to land incomplete or caught by the other team. While they do deserve some credit, Horton gets more credit for being in the right place at the right time. The guys plays where the ball goes and those picks and the fumble recovery werent just luck. The guy has his head on a swivel and a nose for the ball. I really wish they would give him the start this week.

We are a better team with Horton on the field IMO. He's quicker, a better tackler, and plays with much more intensity than Doughty.

I agree that a guy shouldnt lose his job due to an overnight sickness. But I also thought Reed shouldnt have been the starter to begin the season in the first place.

Not just based on that game.

But it seems to me that Horton and Reed are the same player speed wise (Horton maybe a little faster). Horton seems to be more powerful (see the huge 3rd and 1 stop where Horton blasted through the Saints OLine)

I'm sure Reed is better mentally at this juncture.

And while those were tipped balls and forced fumbles Horton got and others should get credit for that, I think a lot needs to be said for being in the right place at the right time (its not always just luck its awareness too). And a lot should be said for actually CATCHING the ball. That second INT was kinda hard to find as he just turned around and it was coming down.

I don't think either player is very good in coverage and both can be exposed in that sense.

But the turnovers were the result of him being near the ball. GREAT JOB by HORTON, however, the people who forced the fumble and the balls flying in the air deserve more credit than Horton...

Some people just have a knack for finding the ball though, and they should be on the field as much as possible...Our D line has been good at deflecting passes for a few years now, our DB's have sucked at turning those deflections into picks...I say start the young buck for if nothing at all, he at least swarms to the ball.

I don't think it matters who starts since they will both get some time on the field. I agree with Doughty's comments that the more they both play, the better the TEAM is.

Also, I don't mind sticking with experience over youth. I have no doubt that Horton or Moore will be our starter either later this year or beginning next year.

Well once Bolden or Fitzgerald smokes Reed like a blunt Horton will get the nod, watch us lose by the TD Reed gives up!

Seriously other than come in and play after ST's death what has Reed done to earn this starting job? Because I don't think of anything other than just getting to start in the worst way possible. I mean really what has he done to show or prove he is starter material? I mean had he done anything why would we draft so many Safety's?????

So, this question is for those who think RD starting again is a horrible move.

You say Horton had a great game, POTW, and should be out there.

Let's say, oh, JC has stomach flu. He misses a game. Collins comes in.....as he did last year, and blows the place up.

Does JC LOSE his spot because TC had a good game?

Just askin'.

Well, if TC was 10 years younger, I'd consider it. I believe in players that earn their spot on the field instead of putting blind faith in Vinny's football smarts. His track record is not so great.

So, this question is for those who think RD starting again is a horrible move.

You say Horton had a great game, POTW, and should be out there.

Let's say, oh, JC has stomach flu. He misses a game. Collins comes in.....as he did last year, and blows the place up.

Does JC LOSE his spot because TC had a good game?

Just askin'.

Well, in all fairness, Doughty really really sucks.

People, please think about the opponent this Sunday.......We will be blitzing the **it out of Warner this week. We need Doughty's speed and understanding of all the blitz packages.

I'm sure the rook will turn out fine and play well for us, but with Warner's lack of mobility, we need heavy knowledge of all the defensive schemes and blitz disguises. I'm sure Reed is more familiar in that aspect.

People, please think about the opponent this Sunday.......We will be blitzing the **it out of Warner this week. We need Doughty's speed and understanding of all the blitz packages.

I'm sure the rook will turn out fine and play well for us, but with Warner's lack of mobility, we need heavy knowledge of all the defensive schemes and blitz disguises. I'm sure Reed is more familiar in that aspect.

That would be the only factor in starting Doughty over Horton. But they both have a week to prepare, and Reed has never in his entire career had a performance like the rookies debut. It's not like the punter situation where Reed is getting cut. If the kid struggles, yank him and put Reed in. This whole team needs to be shown that performance, not potential, wins games.

:notworthy

fo realz, doughty got this spot because sean died, he was next on the depth chart, he hasnt earned a goddamn thing and horton has

Horton is a rookie who hasn't "earned" anything just yet.

Let's see how he does with a team that is game-planning for him, not planning for Doughty. I still can't believe those of you who think Horton is going to be fetching water for people just because he's not playing the very first play of the very first Defensive series.

His experience? He's played 1/2 a season in place of ST.

He's also been a student in the same defense for over 2 seasons. If you've actually seen him play, you'll notice that he's usually on the field re-arranging defenders for the play.

I don't see why they both can't play equal snaps. If Hortis has another tremendous day, then give him the job permanently.

];5552798']He's also been a student in the same defense for over 2 seasons. If you've actually seen him play' date=' you'll notice that he's usually on the field re-arranging defenders for the play.

I don't see why they both can't play equal snaps. If Hortis has another tremendous day, then give him the job permanently.[/quote']

Who was "re-arranging" players while Horton was out there? I thought Fletcher took care of the D, and Landry set the DB's?

That's a shame. I love this kid. I suspect it won't be too long before we see him starting along side Landry. I'm certain we will see him in certain packages in the weeks to come. Just becuase he's not "starting" doesn't necessarily mean he won't see any action. With all due respect to Howdy Doughty...it's his job to lose and an injury won't cause him to lose the starting job. However, I feel it's just a matter of time until #48 will be a first-stringer.

this is retarded. horton put up one of the best defensive performances this D has seen in years and theyre going with reed "i cant cover myself" doughty. dont get me wrong, i think doughty is a very tough and solid in the box run stopper, but lets not delude ourselves, hes no cover saftey. horton was everywhere last weekend against a spread offense with a top flight QB. lets hope hes starting in a few weeks.

Archived