Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Two RB system. Now.

SteveFromYellowstone

(If this has already been addressed, I apologize.)

The Redskins need to split carries between Portis and Betts. After watching all the teams splitting carries and have huge success with it (Dallas, Atlanta, Baltimore, Carolina, Tennessee, etc...), I realized we need to do the same. We have two very capable backs, and splitting the carries would keep Portis fresh, and give us two different style runners. Running the ball up the middle with Portis every play does not work. Please give Betts more carries. Maybe we would see Portis get over 4.0 YPC for once.

Two RB set isn't conducive to a a WCO offense due to the number of passes verus the number of carries, two split back set with a FB and or two offset RB, etc..

I could go on but I feel like im trying to teach Latin to monkeys sometimes...

Edit: Not aimed directly at the OP. Just in general.

I could go on but I feel like im trying to teach Latin to monkeys sometimes...

Every monkey I know speaks Latin pretty good...it's Swedish they can't seem to process...

anyways. Splitting carries is for teams without a feature back. Clinton Portis is a feature back. Splitting carries is also for teams that boast backs with complimentary running styles, in most cases it's a power(or straight downhill runner) back combining with a Speed(or lateral runner) back. Portis and Betts share similar running styles, the only difference being Clinton Portis's athletic ability is far superior to that of Betts. Betts being used to spell Portis is fine, but we won't really see any benefit if Betts is splitting carries just to split carries or be a "change of pace back" when he cleary isn't.

The most intelligent thread I have seen since........since I last started a thread.

:applause:

The top 5 reasons to play Betts.....even if you think Portis is better. I realize this is too intelligent for most here to comprehend.

1. Portis is better? Play Betts too. It only increases his trade value. Benching him, like Joe did, only kills his trade value.

2. Playing Betts gives Portis rest, so he doesn't disappear in the playoffs.

3. Betts is a better receiver. A throw to Portis or Sellers is a wasted play.

4. Betts is more physical. Portis blocks hard, but has never hurt anyone with his running style. Betts can pound defenders, wearing them out late in the game for Portis to break one.

5. We were a league WORST last season on third and short. Portis is absolutely not the answer on third and one. We need a power running back in those situations. If Betts isn't the answer, then we need someone else. But Portis between the tackles isn't.

The most intelligent thread I have seen since........since I last started a thread.

:applause:

The top 5 reasons to play Betts.....even if you think Portis is better. I realize this is too intelligent for most here to comprehend.

1. Portis is better? Play Betts too. It only increases his trade value. Benching him, like Joe did, only kills his trade value.

2. Playing Betts gives Portis rest, so he doesn't disappear in the playoffs.

3. Betts is a better receiver. A throw to Portis or Sellers is a wasted play.

4. Betts is more physical. Portis blocks hard, but has never hurt anyone with his running style. Betts can pound defenders, wearing them out late in the game for Portis to break one.

5. We were a league WORST last season on third and short. Portis is absolutely not the answer on third and one. We need a power running back in those situations.

Did you tag yourself?

Every monkey I know speaks Latin pretty good...it's Swedish they can't seem to process...

anyways. Splitting carries is for teams without a feature back. Clinton Portis is a feature back. Splitting carries is also for teams that boast backs with complimentary running styles, in most cases it's a power(or straight downhill runner) back combining with a Speed(or lateral runner) back. Portis and Betts share similar running styles, the only difference being Clinton Portis's athletic ability is far superior to that of Betts. Betts being used to spell Portis is fine, but we won't really see any benefit if Betts is splitting carries just to split carries or be a "change of pace back" when he cleary isn't.

Heavy.. If im not mistaken, didnt we have a off season argument about betts vs portis????

5. We were a league WORST last season on third and short. Portis is absolutely not the answer on third and one. We need a power running back in those situations.

that is not because of CP. I beleive it was Henry (or maybe even oldskool) who posted some stats about CP's career stats when its 3rd or 4th and 1. He has a great percentage of first downs gained.

5. We were a league WORST last season on third and short. Portis is absolutely not the answer on third and one. We need a power running back in those situations. If Betts isn't the answer, then we need someone else. But Portis between the tackles isn't.

We were a league worst cause every team we played knew exactly what we were gonna do. Run up the middle and having a busted O line doesnt exactly help that situation.

Our running game is fine and hasnt been a problem since CP has been on the team.

I've thought this for a long time, not because I think Portis can't carry a game by himself, but why should he if he doesn't ahve to.. I like Betts, he's very good and could start for a lot of teams, I just wish we had a bigger bruiser type back to compliment Portis.

that is not because of CP. I beleive it was Henry (or maybe even oldskool) who posted some stats about CP's career stats when its 3rd or 4th and 1. He has a great percentage of first downs gained.

Career stats....including Denver, probably true.

Here in Washington over the last two seasons? Completely untrue.

Partially Gibbs' fault, calling Portis over the left like everyone expected every single time? Yes, valid.

Partially due to O-line injuries? Yes, valid.

But the bottom line--A Brandon Jacobs on 3rd and 1 between the tackles is going to be much better than Portis between the tackles.

He is a great outside runner. He isn't cut out for 3rd and 1 between the tackles on this team. :cheers:

Portis wasn't good on third downs last year because there were 10 people in the box because every single person in the stadium knew what was coming. if the offensive coaches would mix the play calls up a bit the 3rd down conversion rate would be better.

I don't disagree with this. But until JC proves he can throw consistently, we are still going to face a stacked box on third and short.

Portis between the tackles is not the answer in those situations. We were the worst in the entire league last year trying that nonsense.

I don't disagree with this. But until JC proves he can throw consistently, we are still going to face a stacked box on third and short.

Portis between the tackles is not the answer in those situations. We were the worst in the entire league last year trying that nonsense.

So what exactly is Betts gonna do thats so much better to help us again? If im not mistaken he's not that much bigger than CP.

agree portis isn't the answer between the tackles. I don't like Betts there much either due to his fumbling. Also i'll never forget him not being able to get a yard against the giants week 3 last year, not all his fault but CP would have gotten that in my opinion.

As for alternatives, why not go Play action and dump it over the middle to cooley or fred davis or anyone going out on routes. Why not go 4 wide shotgun like the giants were doing? anything different will make me happy, it at least shows their thinking. I still think any defensive coordinator is going to stack the box until we show them we are willing to do something different. Now is the time to start showing them something different.

So what exactly is Betts gonna do thats so much better to help us again? If im not mistaken he's not that much bigger than CP.

Run more north to south. Hit the hole harder....and deliver a little more punishment. A Betts...even a Sellers will be a little more violent in those situations.

If it is 3rd and one or two.....and everyone on earth knows we are running it behind that o line.....Portis is not the answer.

Personally, I would prefer a play action.....qb roll out.....something more creative at times.

But if we are going to stuff it in there......he isn't the choice.

Run more north to south. Hit the hole harder....and deliver a little more punishment. A Betts...even a Sellers will be a little more violent in those situations.

If it is 3rd and one or two.....and everyone on earth knows we are running it behind that o line.....Portis is not the answer.

Personally, I would prefer a play action.....qb roll out.....something more creative at times.

But if we are going to stuff it in there......he isn't the choice.

I think your whole arguement of using Betts more has gone out the window. Using Sellers in those situations would be fine to me but the run game will be much more effective if we can pass the ball.

agree portis isn't the answer between the tackles. I don't like Betts there much either due to his fumbling. Also i'll never forget him not being able to get a yard against the giants week 3 last year, not all his fault but CP would have gotten that in my opinion.

As for alternatives, why not go Play action and dump it over the middle to cooley or fred davis or anyone going out on routes. Why not go 4 wide shotgun like the giants were doing? anything different will make me happy, it at least shows their thinking. I still think any defensive coordinator is going to stack the box until we show them we are willing to do something different. Now is the time to start showing them something different.

Smart post, and I agree. Especially on the alternatives, as opposed to just running into a brick wall.....8 in the box.

Back to the Giants game.....in Betts' defense, 3 things:

1. It was insane to call a guy in that situation, cold off the bench, run exactly where everyone knew we were going to, and expect him to punch it in. That is on the coach.

2. I recall another game last season, where Portis ran 7? or 8 times in a row inside the red zone. We got nowhere. :2cents:

3. With limited action, and fewer reps in practice, I would expect Betts, or any player to be more fumble prone. That can be fixed with reps. Portis too, fumbled a few times last season.

Archived